XX tech and parts thread

Sdracer

Not sure if they do...There may have been a bad batch of them...or guys were running wide open for a period of time causing pressure to build in the rear diff. Or the bearing on the ring gear is not tight.
I thought my passenger side was going...turned out to be cv grease being forced out through the center slide pin when it got extremely hot. Blew around the diff housing. It was black and thicker than the reddish rear end synthetic fluid.
I am strongly believing that the seals are letting go on the OD due to high pressure being built up and the breather not being big enough to help with relieving the pressure, the next weakest link would be the seals. I was thoroughly checking out the transaxle after the NORRA 500 and even noticed a little bit of fluid starting to seep from the Secondary CVT input shaft seal, which lead me to believe the stated above even more so.

NIKAL

Mario,
What if you increase the breather hose, loop it and put a fuel filter on it. Then what about putting a little RTV on the seals like we would do on the bus box inner cv flanges?
Also are you running the Speed axles on your XX? Robby claims cooler cv & axle temps with his set up. Could stock axle temps be transferring to the transaxle increasing temps & pressures on long hard runs?

43mod

I was thinking about filling the casting voids around the seal housing w epoxy and setting in a couple of studs as well. A retainer plate to keep a little pressure on the seal od would be easy to do. Bigger vent can not hurt ,the factory set up is just waiting to get plugged up IMO. Silver Bullet do you happen to know the pt number on that clutch tool ? I browsed for a while and did not see one for the xx, I imagine its there I just didn't find it. Thank you.

Sdracer

Mario,
What if you increase the breather hose, loop it and put a fuel filter on it. Then what about putting a little RTV on the seals like we would do on the bus box inner cv flanges?
Also are you running the Speed axles on your XX? Robby claims cooler cv & axle temps with his set up. Could stock axle temps be transferring to the transaxle increasing temps & pressures on long hard runs?

Yeah that's easy to do also.

When I had to replace the seal at the race, we put it back in with Permatex Ultra Grey on the OD of the seal. Ended up doing it on the Driver side seal that was already fine just for precaution.

Yes, I am running RG axles. Not a single issue whatsoever with axles anymore. They are 100% the solution to the axle problems on these cars.

slvrbullet

How are you contributing seal issues to being associated with axle plunge? or the axles at all?
2 issues with the Gen 1 and 2 axles. 1 they bind under heavy torsional load, when the do it pushes against the seal breaking the sealing surface. 2, the gen 1-2 axles create a ton of heat on the inside CV joint since they are doing handling both plunge and articulation. That heat/pressure is building up faster than the transaxle can remove it and it's blowing seals.

novaman64

Those of you running high belt temps. What clutching are you running (springs, weights, helix)?

43mod

Speed 32" kit w base recommendation. Factory belt for 150 miles of abuse and Gates has 350 but taking it a touch easier w more cooling air.

NIKAL

2 issues with the Gen 1 and 2 axles. 1 they bind under heavy torsional load, when the do it pushes against the seal breaking the sealing surface. 2, the gen 1-2 axles create a ton of heat on the inside CV joint since they are doing handling both plunge and articulation. That heat/pressure is building up faster than the transaxle can remove it and it's blowing seals.
I believe most of this to be true and makes sense in regards to axles & failures. But SDracer confirmed he is running the SpeedSXS axle assemblies and he still lost a seal at the NORRA race. While I agree that the SpeedSXS axle is the fix for the axles, and should reduce the heat transfer to the transaxle, it still sounds like internal gearbox heat & pressure, bad castings or seal installation is still causing some failures.

I’d explore increasing the vent size, and adding RTV around the OD of the seal to see if that cures the problem.

Nessy

I believe most of this to be true and makes sense in regards to axles & failures. But SDracer confirmed he is running the SpeedSXS axle assemblies and he still lost a seal at the NORRA race. While I agree that the SpeedSXS axle is the fix for the axles, and should reduce the heat transfer to the transaxle, it still sounds like internal gearbox heat & pressure, bad castings or seal installation is still causing some failures.

I’d explore increasing the vent size, and adding RTV around the OD of the seal to see if that cures the problem.
Cheap Chinese bearings might add to this also?

Sdracer

Valid points. Those circumstances may cause the seal to leak on the ID at the spool, but I don't see the loads causing any issues with the OD of the seal to the housing. That being the case, you'll have bigger issues if the axles are binding that much.... However I lost a seal and I do not run either of those axles. I would not blame the axles on my seal failure. The speed axles don't bind under any load and are always cool to the touch. Well, except when your leaky seal loses oil and the transaxle temp is untouchable.

NIKAL

Good point. So the question then is, has anyone with a Weddle “Race Prepped” box had seal issues? Because they go through, deburr, shotpeen, install better bearings and reset the tolerances.

Total Loss

Thats what I was thinking too...I cannot believe that vent hose can't push enough air out under load.

Even using the Speed axles will still cause a lot of heat at the inner CV because it is still doing at least half of the plunging.

I would guess Weddle is the answer- where mine is going if I ever have a failure more than just the seal.

slvrbullet

I did this when I refreshed the transaxle last and have not had an issue. Also the Textron diff fluid is like water. When I started running a high quality EP gear oil; Maxima, Blud etc I saw a big difference when doing refreshes, and the temp strips I have on the transaxle never get over 250. before I was hitting high 300's.

jon coleman

thats your nation wide oil, so when that sxs is running in 10deg.Michigans upper, the trans still works

Total Loss

I did this when I refreshed the transaxle last and have not had an issue. Also the Textron diff fluid is like water. When I started running a high quality EP gear oil; Maxima, Blud etc I saw a big difference when doing refreshes, and the temp strips I have on the transaxle never get over 250. before I was hitting high 300's.
You using Maxima Gear Oil in the XX? I have always used it in my bikes (I like the way it works with the clutches).
Maybe switch?
What weight? Hypoid or MTL?

NIKAL

Ok so being as bullet proof as the chassis & suspension are stock on the XX, what other items seem to be plaguing the XX’s?

With all the money and expertise Robby has with the XX, yet he can’t get them to finish races. Does anyone know what issues kept his 3 cars from finishing the 1000?

novaman64

Ok so being as bullet proof as the chassis & suspension are stock on the XX, what other items seem to be plaguing the XX’s?

With all the money and expertise Robby has with the XX, yet he can’t get them to finish races. Does anyone know what issues kept his 3 cars from finishing the 1000?
On the speed prepped cars...
1.water fried electrical.
2 Blown rear Transaxle
3. Rolled race car.
4. Blown water pump.

Bulloch/Hustead had their special Speed billet rack strip out in a high speed whoops section, never hit anything. Apparently they would have had better luck with a braced OEM rack.