XX tech and parts thread

novaman64

Reaction
Looks like 775 fab has some new motor mounts.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 8.50.44 PM.png

43mod

Reaction
Sway bars. Fast cash was having issues after the pre run w front s bar mounting at Skull Rush and he says other times as well. The young guys from St George w the very cool XX rig had a broken rear s bar at V to R last year. FC mentioned two different sizes of front s bar. I have a 7/8, what is the other ?
Since I have a rear mount rad I could move mine forward but it does not look to be a real advantage. Any thoughts on going to a splined bar and straight arms ?
Any other s bar input ?

Sdracer

Reaction
Sway bars. Fast cash was having issues after the pre run w front s bar mounting at Skull Rush and he says other times as well. The young guys from St George w the very cool XX rig had a broken rear s bar at V to R last year. FC mentioned two different sizes of front s bar. I have a 7/8, what is the other ?
Since I have a rear mount rad I could move mine forward but it does not look to be a real advantage. Any thoughts on going to a splined bar and straight arms ?
Any other s bar input ?

Stock front sway bars on these cars are trash. Many desert guys remove them completely on the XX. I believe Eibach is the only one in the industry that has an aftermarket option for sway bars available. Front and rear.

fastcash

Reaction
Any other s bar input ?
We tried polyurethane frame mounts on the frt. bar, you saw the results after the pre-run, no bueno!! We changed back to the stock rubber
frame bushings and finished the race. The stock bushings flex and wear during the race and last long enough to finish. New stock bushings
every race is working for us. The Speed 77" suspension puts the whole frt. sway bar assembly into tremendous stress thru its travel. The rear
not as much as a problem. Todd Romano had suggested the stock bushings from the start, we thought we would be smarter!!!

If you have good sway bar links, frt. and rear you should be okay with stock frame bushings, replace every race in the frt.

We really like the handling of the car better with sway bars, probably because of our rally car experience. Maybe leave the
frt. bar off on your first test run and see how you like the car. If you hate it, then go thru the work of installing the torsion
bar, straight arm set-up. I have used that splined bar and arms many times with good success, but it may be more trouble
that you need to go thru.

The frt. bar did not keep us out of the tree!!!!

Chris

jon coleman

Reaction
is anyone up front Not running sbars?, ?, me personally would experiment w spring rates& droop ect& No bars, i mean, its only time & ca$h....

novaman64

Reaction
I took my front sway bar off.

Stock suspension with no sway bar handling was horrible, once I got some springs, it was better. Then I actually took the time to set it up (ride height) and tune the crossover, you wouldnt event notice the sway bar isnt there in the corners, but if you are hitting uneven bumps the car seems to do better....

jon coleman

Reaction
yup, sway bars are just a big spring in opposite direction's between l & r side, you feel bump on left, it will affect right side, .on a rear or front straight axle, thats a little bit different, with or with out s bar, r side or left hits bump, it moves oppisite side in some way

Last edited:

Total Loss

Reaction
My sway bar is sitting up in the rafters. Once you get used to the additional front sway before you hit the crossover...no problemo. Much smoother in the chop.
Don't need one...stock susp. Getting some ST Eibachs soon.

Total Loss

Reaction
My bud (Can Am pro turbo) ended up barrell rolling multiple times at the Parker 250...we think the fornt sway bar link turned the wrong way and it bound up...causing a suspension lock. I hate A/M front sway bars and trying to get them set up correctly. Smaller is better if you are going to run them....I say- toss them and set up your shocks/prings accordingly.

jon coleman

Reaction
yup, sway bars are just a big spring in opposite direction's between l & r side, you feel bump on left, it will affect right side, .on a rear or front straight axle, thats a little bit different, with or with out s bar, r side or left hits bump, it moves oppisite side in some way
man, my posts suc, i mean straight axles respond overall better to Correct sway bar set ups

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
My bud (Can Am pro turbo) ended up barrell rolling multiple times at the Parker 250...we think the fornt sway bar link turned the wrong way and it bound up...causing a suspension lock. I hate A/M front sway bars and trying to get them set up correctly. Smaller is better if you are going to run them....I say- toss them and set up your shocks/prings accordingly.
Sounds like a major design flaw. Why not setup the sway bar so the link can't be inverted?

43mod

Reaction
very little room to work with looks like the reason to me. Even w the radiator moved to the rear it is tight.

Total Loss

Reaction
Sounds like a major design flaw. Why not setup the sway bar so the link can't be inverted?

Lets just say it happened. Most likely set up wrong but not much room to work with the larger links. PITA.
I think he tossed the A/M unit and put the small stocker back on for the next race...we will see Friday.
Jonesin to go chasing again this weekend.

slvrbullet

Reaction
After talking with Sean at Weedle he told me I was better off buying a new 2020 transaxle then sending my 2018 in for service. He said run it for a season and then send in the 2020. Before I install the new unit I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on some improvements that can be made by the average guy. I was thinking of doing the following.

Hopefully Increase vent tube size.
Drill and tap the case to place in 3 retaining screws/washers to help keep the cv seal in place
Check backlash to make sure it was shimmed correctly.

Anything other recomendations.

Oil?
Weedle recommends Maxima.
What about Redline Shock proof or other high end fluids?