yellow top - red top

charlie_brown

Reaction
i have 2 red tops now on my truck hooked up through a rely. one of the red tops keeps acting up. it will work fine and in just an instant, it will be dead. i want to replace it with a yellow top. can i run one yellow top and one red top?

07FJRog

Reaction
i have 2 red tops now on my truck hooked up through a rely. one of the red tops keeps acting up. it will work fine and in just an instant, it will be dead. i want to replace it with a yellow top. can i run one yellow top and one red top?
yes, the yellow is a dual cycle battery, made for heavy cycling and Cranking power.

red is just a starting batt, but they are compatible.

some of my friends run two yellows in thier diesel trucks, because thay have high power stereos

Rog

charlie_brown

Reaction
o.k. so i can run a yellow top with my red top and not over load my alternator.

07FJRog

Reaction
I just reread your orig post.

explain your relay setup and the purpose for it.

you will not over load your alt.

Rog

charlie_brown

Reaction
i have 2 red tops going to a electric relay like a RV relay. then one wire out to my starter relay. one battery is for starting and some basic stock stuff. the other battery is powering up extra stuff.

i hooked up a switch to the relay so when my main battery is dead, i turn my key in the acc. position and push the button and it activates the relay to switch the batteries so i can start my truck.

it works pretty good but my main red top sucks and i have to switch it allot. that’s why i wanted to replace the one with a yellow top.