Yokohama Back In Desert Racing?

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I haven't heard anything about Yokohama since PAB switched to BFG a few years ago, but it looks like they are getting back in the game in a big way. Did anyone else see their team announcement on Facebook yesterday? Troy and Tim Herbst to be on Yokohamas this year. I didn't see that coming!

Plus Boyd Jaynes and Brian Godfrey in their El Caballo Diablo NORRA-winning Bronco, the Pellegrino family in Ultra4, and Travis Pastrana. I haven't run their new Geolander M/T G003 yet but it looks like a great tire, and they are making it in sizes up to 40-inches tall.

First Look: Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003

swiftracing5

Reaction
I know that a couple class 10/5 guys are just sick of BFG being the only tire option. Hence the new “dakar” 35 and tensor developing a new 35. It’s nice to have options and something cheaper than BFG. It would make sense that Yoko would try to come back into the game for that reason in the TT market. Options are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

J Prich

Reaction
I thought I saw here or maybe on FB, someone had teased the Herbsts to Yokos a while back. Pretty sure it was a forum here somewhere. Competition is good right? The more players in the game the better as far as I'm concerned.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
They are involved and never really left. I have some great friends there and wish them well.

mattb

Reaction
Yokohama has a strong history in off road and will be welcomed back by more than a few of the racers that used to run them.

Good for them to reinvigorating their support and marketing efforts in offroad!

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Unless they made some major changes in their TT tire the Herbst crew better get good at tire changes...
Glad to see them staying in the game.

Slippery P

Reaction
This years KOH will be a true test for that tire as no tire balls are allowed...

LantanaTX

Reaction
We are also sponsored by Yokohama. Maybe some of you saw their 18 wheeler at the Baja 1000 Contingency? We switched from M/T tires and couldn't be happier! Here is our car on display at the Baja 1000. We had no flats. I got in the car at about mile 500 and the tires looked great and looked like they could go the whole distance. Unfortunately we had a terminal mechanical and didn't get to find out. Yokohama has been amazing to work with and are great people! Look for us at the Mint 400 and the Yokohama NORRA Mexican 1000.

Maxwell_99

Reaction
Looks pretty similar to a toyo... Glad to see them back

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Dirty Harry

Reaction
People are still running tire balls in inner liners aren't they?
Starting with the 2018 season you can only run a 27-inch tall secondary tire system in King of the Hammers/Ultra4. So you can't run tire balls anymore, most people have switched to tire liners.

200MPHTape

Reaction
My thoughts are they saw bfg go for the utv market and didn't want to get left in the dust. Way more money in that industry then TT's, just a bonus to pick up this industry.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Yokohama needs to brand their tire that is already a 32 incher Super Digger as a '32' and they would have a HUGE market in the UTV racing class. My 2 pesos.

NIKAL

Reaction
Yokohama needs to brand their tire that is already a 32 incher Super Digger as a '32' and they would have a HUGE market in the UTV racing class. My 2 pesos.
Tried years ago to get Yokohama to get the Super Digger 3 into the UTV market. They were not interested?? Since BITD’s UTV rule maker desided that the only rule is that the 32 inch tire size needs to be marked on the side wall of the tire. It does not matter what the true size is, it just needs to say 32. All Yokohama needed to do is change the size on the mold to show 32. Look at what Tensor did, big tire marked as a 32. Yokohama could have been killing it!

LantanaTX

Reaction
The Super Digger III is an incredible proven tire run by most current 1600 teams. The only way you get to 33" is maybe on a 3.5" wheel at 200mph. Mine measure 31.5" on a 15 x 6 1/2. They should mark them as 32" and get a few UTV teams to use them. I believe they would dominate. The shaved Yokohama Y720 I run on the front looks like it will last forever!

Fourstroker

Reaction
I just hope they fix the TT tires they had from earlier in the year. The ones I saw were ripped to shreds after 50 miles....consistently

harleys dad

Reaction
not hard to change a number on the mold I mounted super digger 3s on my UTV and they looked small compared to the 32 ITP ultracross

NIKAL

Reaction
not hard to change a number on the mold I mounted super digger 3s on my UTV and they looked small compared to the 32 ITP ultracross
Dave, Not knowing what rim & width you are runnng on your UTV, but measure your ITP Ultracross by doing a roll out, and I’m guessing they measure bigger then 32. The way BITD wrote the rule, they dont care or even measure tire size. All they care about is what’s stamped on the sidewall. I think Tensor was the first to figure this out and they made a bigger tire and stamped it 32.

I helped a UTV guy get a discount on some Super Diggers which he raced the Baja 500 on last year. (Score rules allow a 33 inch in the UTV class.) He loved the tire, but was primarily racing BITD and had a tire deal for BITD and the Yoko was not legal for BITD.

I’d love to see Yokohama come back big, as competition is good, and gives BFG a reason to stick around.