Yota Electrical Problems?!

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
My truck has been running pretty good, but about 2 weeks ago I started it and it wouldnt turn over, I had to give it alot of gas just to get it going. I was out in Ocotillo on sunday and I jumped my truck and after I had jumped it, the engine was constantly reving so I looked at the idler cable( I think thats what its called) and after it would rev it wouldnt go down all the way, but anyways after that I was driving, I could be doing like 60 and the lights, stereo and just everything would turn off but I could give it more gas, like floor it 2 or 3 times and the truck would start back up. Iv gotten a few ideas of what it could be from other people but I really have no idea and no one is for sure about it, so if anyone has any ideas on what I should check let me know!!

DESERT SLUT'S....GOTTA LOVE UM!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Sounds like an intermittent short. Check all the main electrical connections under the hood and any that may have got chafed (sp?) from off road vibration.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah Bel told me to check the wires coming from the coil. And one of my friends said it might be the cap n rotor. Ill just check everything I can I guess tomorrow, need to fix it by the weekend!!

Dillon

Reaction
Is it idling rough? Not sure what engine you have but I had similiar problems after cleaning my throttle body on my 3.4L, make sure and check all your elec. connections and also vacuum hoses (might be two seperate issues).

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah maybe engine will help huh? Its a 22RE 2.4 liter. Its not to rough, its bad enough to totally notice it, even with music on but its not like if you had the pedal to the floor. It actually sounds kinda like if your taking off and you let the clutch out to slow...but it does it in nuetral also.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The cap and rotor would not casue the lights and stereo to turn off, but it could be part of your ruff idle. Get under there with a can of carb cleaner and fire up the engine and then spray all the vacuum lines and see if the engine races...if it does, then at least you found part of your problem.

Kris

orvacian

Reaction
Could be bad ground wires for the battery or the engine. Check the battery cables and look for corrosion and such.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah I thought it was my battery because someone has cut the wires trying to steal it before but it wasnt that checked the spark splugs its not that. I looked for missing wires, because it started happeneing right after I jumped my truck so I figured a wire came lose somewhere but didnt see anything.

orvacian

Reaction
Check the ground wire that goes from the engine to the body, and one should go from the battery negative to the body too.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
I already did that. But the last time my battery was messed up It would still run even if the wires were disconnected BUT once you turn it off thats when it wouldnt start. It never died just while Im driving so I know its not the battery but ill check the ground wires again.

Eric_M

Reaction
hey orvacian,

i think i know the asnwer to my question but, why ground it the body? i just want to make sure.

sand is for people who lack the skills to navigate objects<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Eric_M on 12/25/02 11:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Because it wont run or will run bad if yo dont...the yotas are anal about their grounding. The excess charge needs a place to go and if you dont ground the truck right, it can effect the ignition and other things as well.
Girlz...orvacian was talking about ground straps...not the actual ground on the battery...or at least I think thats what he was talking about.

Kris

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
There is no specific reason. Some trucks have it only grounded to the frame.Alot of cars don't have entirly metal bodies anymore, so they ground them to both.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Check the main power input for the fuse box under the hood, underneath the box the wire connects the the others and That could be part of the problem, seen it before, besides my truck, had to re-solder that wire on.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

orvacian

Reaction
Nothing engine related could make your lights and stereo turn off while you were driving. That would have to be some kind of electrical problem. The truck runs off the alternator while the engine is running for the most part, which is why it stayed running even with a disconnected battery. Problem is, it is a really bad idea to run a truck with no battery connected because the alternator can not regulate itself properly and you could damage the ecu or other expensive electrical components. Almost everything electrical is grounded to the body inside the truck and the engine is isolated from ground because of the rubber engine mounts, this is why the ground wires are so important. Ask Fishy how his truck ran before he fixed the engine ground wire!?!

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
I know its bad to run without a battery, but I had no idea it was disconnedted till I turned it off and it wouldnt even turn over. Ok well thanks everyone for your help ill check everything out and hopefully find and fix the problem!! Oh and by the way, I havnt had my engine ground wire for like 3 months, and this just started happenin like 2 weeks ago.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ask anybody who has/had a Toyota with bad ground or missing ground straps...it either doesnt run or it runs bad...thats why a I have heard a lot of problems from people who relocate there battery to the bed and dont hook up the extra ground wires!!! I have heard of sparks shooting off of a motor/transmission because they couldnt find ground due to bad/missing ground straps

Kris

orvacian

Reaction
My best guess: whatever WAS gounding the engine (eg. metal lines, throttle cable, ac piping, sensor wires, etc...) has now come loose, rusted, or melted. When you floor it, it connects for a second and then vibrates loose again. If you are near Fullerton come by my pad and I will check it out for you tomorrow after work.

cleartoy

Reaction
Have you checked the computer for codes? That may explain the idle problem. With the key off, just take a paper clip to the diagnostic terminal on the passengerside fenderwell. Connect it to TEe1 and E1 i believe(double check the manual). Turn the key to the acc position(do not start) and record the check engine light flashes.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??