• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic You hit a spectator, what happens next?

JoeyD23

Seeing the wash incident yesterday involving TT75 and the spectators was terrible in so many ways. A wave of emotions flowed as the incident carried out. From watching the truck innocently blow the turn to watching him attempt to throttle out to keep from sliding down the hill, then watching him go directly into those individuals was something I won't soon forget. The next few moments were filled with screams, dust, and lots of confusion. Emerging from the insanity the focus turns to watching a small group of civilians perform CPR on a person and all reality sets in that this is serious. I'll spare the rest of those details as it's something no one wants to think about. My heart hurts for those families involved.

BUT, as we waited the situation out I couldn't help but look at the driver and co-driver as the authorities carried out their investigation. I began to feel so bad for those guys. Forget about the fact that they had probably planned for this race for months, spent gobs of money and time to put in this effort and now instead of heading off into the desert they were surrounded by authorities trying to explain what happened. Where I felt the most for these guys was on the side of how they must of been feeling seeing the injured.

I watched them talking to the authorities and then my thoughts turned to what happens next for these guys?

what if I was in that situation?

Does SCORE have their back?

Are you guilty until proven innocent?

Where did they take the truck when it was driven away by someone else? Do they impound it?

These situations have happened many times down there, and I have heard some horrible stories about the racer being railroaded / extorted by the local authorities and others that you would think are looking out for your best interests and should be.

So what's the process? What should every racer be doing to protect themselves as best as they can should they find themselves in this situation?

harleys dad

I know the truck went to the Federal impound that HUGE car lot on the way out of town, dont know what happens next, probably depends how much money he has left over, it is wrong in my opinion that they impound his truck because of the stupidity of others causing this needless accident. You should be able to blow a turn and NOT run over some one who should not be there. This kind of thing was Oscar Ramoses thing, I dont see how you prepare for this in a foreign country where you are quilty and have to prove your not and the simple fact you really have no rites at all down there sorry to say. I wish the crew of that truck the best, they have a dark tunnel to go threw

green787

They impound the property, and it will be held as payment to the family, or whatever money they pay to have the truck released will go to the family..... Generally speaking that's how it works in Mexico.... Swift monetary based justice... If the parents go in and complain or have a high status in Ensenada then it will be worse for TT#74....

bajavwracer

I heard the Family was from San Juan Capistano. Does their status as Non-Mexicans change legal procedures in any way?

BigBlue&Goldie

I hope they wisen up and hold the mom liable. Her lack of common sense killed that kid.

The truck is probably mostly stripped at this point. If the drivers were held they won't be released until every corrupt official in town gets paid. I hope they get back to America and count their losses with the truck.

conejoracer

I know the truck went to the Federal impound that HUGE car lot on the way out of town, dont know what happens next, probably depends how much money he has left over, it is wrong in my opinion that they impound his truck because of the stupidity of others causing this needless accident. You should be able to blow a turn and NOT run over some one who should not be there. This kind of thing was Oscar Ramoses thing, I dont see how you prepare for this in a foreign country where you are quilty and have to prove your not and the simple fact you really have no rites at all down there sorry to say. I wish the crew of that truck the best, they have a dark tunnel to go threw
Um, the stupidity of others?
As I was there to witness this, I think this statement needs clarification.

1. SCORE, as the promoter should be planning for spectator safety. The local police and federales should also be involved in securing the wash during a race. In years past, the wash has been occasionally secured from the start of the wash. Sadly, this was not one of those years.

2. The driver overshot the corner, that's a racing accident. Throttling through the overshoot is questionable. He did not get out of the throttle until he was stuck in a waterhole.

3. The spectators were walking upriver, and had just come from under the bridge. They had only been there a few minutes- it appeared that they wanted to cross over to the southern bank.
As enthusiast, we all know the outside of a turn is dangerous. Many people do not have a clue that it is such a dangerous place to be. With the start, finish, and transit through the middle of a major town, you can count on people who have no idea where they should safely view from attending the race.

Better preparation on the part of the promoter and authorities, possibly better car control on the part of the driver, and better education for the public on race safety are all issues that could have prevented yesterday's tragedy.

I feel terrible for the child, his family, the racer, and all those that witnessed this accident, including my own 8 year old daughter.

To write this off as the result of stupidity or just a racing accident seems very disingenuous to me, and minimizes the severity that incidents such as this pose to our sport.

These videos show the progress of those spectators and the accident.

Last edited:

green787

An American mother had her 8 year old daughter in a stroller in the wash on the outside of that transition/turn??? I just want to get this right before commenting any more....:confused:o_Oo_O:(

conejoracer

I saw no stroller, and it was a boy who died. Early reports stated that it was a girl, but I was told directly by score ops it was a boy.
Why assume it's common knowledge to avoid the outside of a turn? Enthusiasts get it, but the average spectator probably does not. This happens in Motorsport events all over the world.

JDDurfey

Everyone that followed the race and watched the above videos saw and heard more or less what happened. This thread is not about who is to blame or exactly what happened. It is about what happens next.

Back to the topic...

I am curious too. What does SCORE do for you as a driver when a tragic accident like this happens? Do they represent you and make sure you are not shafted by the Mexican authorities? Or do they hang you out to dry, even though it was an accident that to some degree was not the drivers fault. What if RG had gone into the crowd when he spun out in the wash just a few races ago? Those spectators were not standing on the outside of a corner? Did the driver get arrested yesterday?
I feel bad for all involved, especially the little boy that lost his life to no fault of his own.

BigBlue&Goldie

When is ever a good idea to be 15ft off a racecourse with a little kid? Is this the same lady that let her kid get into the gorilla exhibit the other day? I'm no safety expert, but common sense says if you've never been to an offroad race you should probably air on the side of caution and until you have a firm grasp on what's going on.

conejoracer

I apologize if it appears I'm playing the blame game. I was just trying to point out three areas in which it could have possibly been avoided.
It's only through the analysis of an event that we can bring about improvements for our sport, and provide the safest experience for all those involved.

harleys dad

Um, the stupidity of others?
As I was there to witness this, I think this statement needs clarification.

1. SCORE, as the promoter should be planning for spectator safety. The local police and federales should also be involved in securing the wash during a race. In years past, the wash has been occasionally secured from the start of the wash. Sadly, this was not one of those years.

2. The driver overshot the corner, that's a racing accident. Throttling through the overshoot is questionable. He did not get out of the throttle until he was stuck in a waterhole.

3. The spectators were walking upriver, and had just come from under the bridge. They had only been there a few minutes- it appeared that they wanted to cross over to the southern bank.
As enthusiast, we all know the outside of a turn is dangerous. Many people do not have a clue that it is such a dangerous place to be. With the start, finish, and transit through the middle of a major town, you can count on people who have no idea where they should safely view from attending the race.

Better preparation on the part of the promoter and authorities, possibly better car control on the part of the driver, and better education for the public on race safety are all issues that could have prevented yesterday's tragedy.

I feel terrible for the child, his family, the racer, and all those that witnessed this accident, including my own 8 year old daughter.

To write this off as the result of stupidity or just a racing accident seems very disingenuous to me, and minimizes the severity that incidents such as this pose to our sport.

These videos show the progress of those spectators and the accident.

you see it your way I see it another, that child should not have been anywhere near that area no mater where they wanted to end up it was the parent who put the child there. It does not take away how much of a tragedy it was but just like the MDR accident common sense was not anywhere around that corner. The driver was doing what and where he was there to do, he blew the turn, and tried to power out of it, I believe I or you would have done the same thing in that situation and I bet a hell of a lot of money he didnt see that girl go under it. their is a girl dead and a drivers life in shambles a child no mater what should not been around there when trucks had the potential to really blow that turn at hi speed. You would never find me or my kids in that position no mater how you look at it. I find anyone on the outside of any turn stupid and not thinking, just like the ones who were mowed down where they did not belong at MDR. That doesnt stop my heart breaking from the situation where a small girl is killed Thinking for ones self sure as hell is better than relying on any promoter to protect you. There is no good of any of this but I do use the word stupid to describe what happened on a active race course. With out catch fences I guess the shortest way to get to the other side of the Indy 500 is straight across when the race is going on right? People were doing that at this race and by what you said that was her plan with a child in tow. I really have a hard time with this. This happens way to much

facteryfmf

I heard a rumor of the class 10 car teams chase ultra 4 vehicle and hit the garbage truck was forced to pay $24,500

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

harleys dad

Not bad Dan, for sure isnt the first and I really dont know what it will take to release the truck back to the cooks but I looked on tracking a couple hours maybe after it happened and the truck was in impound. Have no idea how it got there. Anyone see? I know it was in the afternoon but how secure would it be? A lot of unknowns in Baja but the last few I think were out of mexico a week or so after a accident. How much is the big question

Rock56

I heard a rumor of the class 10 car teams chase ultra 4 vehicle and hit the garbage truck was forced to pay $24,500

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
i saw this accident the ultra 4 vs the garbage truck i was 2 cars behind the garbage truck around km 9 highway to ojos negros the ultra4 driver made a stu.pid decision trying to pass 3 cars and the garbage truck on a blind corner, the ultra4 got off the highway less than a feet and crossed all the way to smash the garbage truck and both flew off the highway , luckly everyone that where behind stopped on time... teams need to enforce safety with the chasecrews luckly no one got hurt but this type of accidents hurt the sport.

Dlock5

After watching that video, I have to say all those people are crazy. No way in hell I would've been any where around there.

Sent from my AQT80 using Tapatalk