On Topic You hit a spectator, what happens next?

Maple Leaf

Reaction
Pete if you really cared at all about people getting hurt in racing, you would contribute information we could all use.

All you seem to care about is your own petty revenge or self-promotion.

Why don't you tell some stories that help us? Or make some safety procedures from your expereince? If you really care so much then do something good for others.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Pete, everytime you post we all hear circus music. No matter what you're talking about it's like listening to an ignorant person tell a story with no point or a joke that isnt' funny.

on this thread Kent has posted something like 6 very detailed personal stories about hitting spectators and what happens next so that we can prepare and be better as racers which is exaclty what this thread is about.

Race Desert posts Kent Kroekers safety information checklists on a sticky thread before each Baja 1000.
He has done a lot to help us race better, safer and more professional.

Maybe you should just try to be a decent guy and make things better for a change. Then maybe people will respect your ideas instead of thinking your just an ignorant clown. Can't you read what people are saying to you?
keep sucking kents dick, you will get your reward soon.......why would i or anyone else care what you have to say?.....you ONLY post how much you love kent, who cares......he posts stories unrelated to the topic but has a real story, why avoid it??? oh wait. you are kent, you already know that.....if im SOOOOOO ignorant, why have i raced thousands and thousands of miles in baja, and NEVER hit a spectator, or been to jail, or had any of my team in jail.....hhhmmmmm, i wonder.....GO AWAY, or post the REAL story about the topic.....

deano

McDeano
Reaction
How about switching gears and see if anyone has any information on how the families are doing, that lost their loved ones that day in Baja ? That would be a nice thing .... Has SCORE been assisting them in anyway ? Has the Mexican Government been helping them out with anything ?. How is Todd and his co-driver doing ? Etc. The internal bashing is 100% ineffective and only discredits the off-road scene ....

bobsson

Reaction
keep sucking kents dick, you will get your reward soon.......why would i or anyone else care what you have to say?.....you ONLY post how much you love kent, who cares......he posts stories unrelated to the topic but has a real story, why avoid it??? oh wait. you are kent, you already know that.....if im SOOOOOO ignorant, why have i raced thousands and thousands of miles in baja, and NEVER hit a spectator, or been to jail, or had any of my team in jail.....hhhmmmmm, i wonder.....GO AWAY, or post the REAL story about the topic.....
You've never blown a corner? Only thing separating you from TT 75 is you were fortunate enough not to have someone standing where they shouldn't have been in the first place.

You Mad Bro

Reaction
I think anyone who hits a spectator SHOULD withdraw from the race and help the victim, it shows a good message and good sportsmanship and even better it makes the off road community look good

J. Clark

Reaction
How about switching gears and see if anyone has any information on how the families are doing, that lost their loved ones that day in Baja ? That would be a nice thing .... Has SCORE been assisting them in anyway ? Has the Mexican Government been helping them out with anything ?. How is Todd and his co-driver doing ? Etc. The internal bashing is 100% ineffective and only discredits the off-road scene ....

Maybe we should vote on "Pexit."

Luis Arroyos

Reaction
you KNOW nothing, obviously......its only slander if untrue.....this thread IS ABOUT HITTING A SPECTATOR and what happens next......read the title again and explain how hitting a spectator and what happens next is NOT EXACTLY WHAT THIS THREAD IS A ABOUT.......if you dont like the topic of discussion, dont read it....DUH......all others on here want to know what happens, thats why its an ON TOPIC thread......

why not tell the story about when YOUR TEAM HIT A SPECTATOR????? that would be right on this topic......tell us what YOUR TEAM did .....cmon kent, tell the whole story......
Pete, what happened after when a bajalite hit a spectator 4 years ago in the Ensenada's wash?

Last edited:

mwr352

Reaction
I know pete from a few phone calls and a few hand shakes in person. He tells you straight up the truth if you like it or not(I like it). And im pretty sure there is a few "cool tt guys" on here that would agree. I respect him because he races his ass off on his own program(not somebodies shop bitch) and finds the money to do it. Its not easy in this sport and when a blue collar bad ass speaks up some people should listen... Flame away

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I think anyone who hits a spectator SHOULD withdraw from the race and help the victim, it shows a good message and good sportsmanship and even better it makes the off road community look good
I down voted your post and here's why. I think it all depends. Obviously a case by case basis but I think to say that anyone or everyone who hits a spectator should withdraw is just not the way it should be. One of the examples that I think of is the video when Pflueger hit that spectator on the rollers of Ojos with his front tire. We all know what those vehicles are doing going down that road, usually bookin' it. So should he have stopped and threw away his race? Not in that case IMO.

Jacob Daniels

Reaction
I know pete from a few phone calls and a few hand shakes in person. He tells you straight up the truth if you like it or not(I like it). And im pretty sure there is a few "cool tt guys" on here that would agree. I respect him because he races his ass off on his own program(not somebodies shop bitch) and finds the money to do it. Its not easy in this sport and when a blue collar bad ass speaks up some people should listen... Flame away
blue collar badass?
you just described everyone who races off road so why flame away?
should we feel especially sorry for pistol pete?

LantanaTX

Reaction
I also respect Pete, I had an issue with one of his rental customers at NORRA and discussed it with Pete. Pete was a straight shooter and told me I should have knocked the crap out of his truck. I appreciate his honest no filter honesty. He's not a politically correct wussie.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
RAMSEY was navigating in the truck at the time....RAMSEY????

but from MY personal knowledge: the spectators were ON the course, a guy on a bike fell over/was bumped(?) and was under the truck when it stopped, the other spectators helped the guy out from under the truck, he was UNHURT (to my knowledge), the truck then continued in the race, WON THE RACE, WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND WON THE TOYOTA MILESTONE AWARD FOR COMPLETING EVERY MILE THAT YEAR............but then "after futher review" was disqualified the next day from the race and lost the race, lost the championship and the Toyota award.......and the spectators were ON THE COURSE.....hate away

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
I also respect Pete, I had an issue with one of his rental customers at NORRA and discussed it with Pete. Pete was a straight shooter and told me I should have knocked the crap out of his truck. I appreciate his honest no filter honesty. He's not a politically correct wussie.
wow, that's close but not quite accurate, my recollection of our convo: if a person does not heed the 1. SIREN, or 2.the friendly bump, it is time to give them some MORE love.......or if its a person that has jackrabbited on you before i.e. RG, jaun carlos, ron whitton, Robbie pierce ect, ect, , SKIP 1 and 2......

LantanaTX

Reaction
wow, that's close but not quite accurate, my recollection of our convo: if a person does not heed the 1. SIREN, or 2.the friendly bump, it is time to give them some MORE love.......or if its a person that has jackrabbited on you before i.e. RG, jaun carlos, ron whitton, Robbie pierce ect, ect, , SKIP 1 and 2......
Pete, I cut to the chase on my previous post. I had explained to you that I:

1. Put the horn on him
2. He jack rabbited
3. When that didn't work he kept moving left and right as I moved left and right to block me from passing. There was a berm and trees on each side, but just enough room for me to go around if he would stay on one side or the other. I had just finished passing other cars in the same section very easily. NORRA racers generally politely move right over for each other.

After I mentioned 1,2 and 3, you said: "You should have Knocked the crap out of him! (I really appreciated your honesty since you own the truck). In fairness you also mentioned that you do your best to educate these rental rookies.

I then explained that my car was too low and I would have hit him with my A pillars. So I then lined up with his left fiberglass fender and was wondering what would happen if I hit him in the tire (wasn't sure if one of us would get flipped). Before I could decide he went into a sharp right turn that allowed half of the width of my car on the outside of the turn. I jumped the left side of my car onto the berm and powered around him. When I jumped onto the berm I hit a boulder and turned a brand new polished Centerline into an aluminum taco shell. Thankfully I run tubes and made it to the end of the stage at race speed.

07FJRog

Reaction
Pete, I cut to the chase on my previous post. I had explained to you that I:

1. Put the horn on him
2. He jack rabbited
3. When that didn't work he kept moving left and right as I moved left and right to block me from passing. There was a berm and trees on each side, but just enough room for me to go around if he would stay on one side or the other. I had just finished passing other cars in the same section very easily. NORRA racers generally politely move right over for each other.

After I mentioned 1,2 and 3, you said: "You should have Knocked the crap out of him! (I really appreciated your honesty since you own the truck). In fairness you also mentioned that you do your best to educate these rental rookies.

I then explained that my car was too low and I would have hit him with my A pillars. So I then lined up with his left fiberglass fender and was wondering what would happen if I hit him in the tire (wasn't sure if one of us would get flipped). Before I could decide he went into a sharp right turn that allowed half of the width of my car on the outside of the turn. I jumped the left side of my car onto the berm and powered around him. When I jumped onto the berm I hit a boulder and turned a brand new polished Centerline into an aluminum taco shell. Thankfully I run tubes and made it to the end of the stage at race speed.
What the heck do drive that you think you would go under a bajalite far enough to hit your a pillars? A slammed Yugo?. The trucks bumpers are not that high and the rear tires are not far from the rear bumper.

LantanaTX

Reaction
Not quite a slammed Yugo. I race vintage class in a 40 year old Class 1 Funco SS2. My car is not a great nerf weapon. For scale, those front tires are 27" tall. I did think I could take out a fender and maybe get to the tire. Getting back on topic, I treat spectators like any other severe danger on the course.

JoeyD23

Reaction
May as well close the thread. Now we're talking about Baja Lites. FML

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
May as well close the thread. Now we're talking about Baja Lites. FML
Close thread before Kent tells his story about what to do after hitting spectator???? Why? He gave the preview story a couple pages ago with his stories from Africa....

fatnbald

Reaction
I down voted your post and here's why. I think it all depends. Obviously a case by case basis but I think to say that anyone or everyone who hits a spectator should withdraw is just not the way it should be. One of the examples that I think of is the video when Pflueger hit that spectator on the rollers of Ojos with his front tire. We all know what those vehicles are doing going down that road, usually bookin' it. So should he have stopped and threw away his race? Not in that case IMO.
That is funny... a little, because i up voted for pretty much the same reason. I think the situation should dictate, but the potential to render aid and/or remorse and compassion should trump the very outside chance you will win the race. I can not say that in the moment I would without a doubt, but as a human it seems like the right thing to do.
However, while I have a reasonable amount of experience driving and navigating, I have never hit a spectator. Nor do I know anyone that has, have witnessed it first hand, or have even a remote grasp on the processes and legalities involved in a incident of this nature outside of the conus.
I have however fallen asleep towing in the border line and nerfed a competitor that was trying to win the race home. Handed them the packet and carried on.

I don't think closing this is the answer.
Joey is searching real answers. These are not some sort of trade or industry secret. I don't understand why there is not a legitimate protocol that drivers can be confident in because it Seems like the modus is to jam out, or at least that is the myth, but there has got to be a better way and if somebody knows it, they should share it.