• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic You hit a spectator, what happens next?

mexgamer

Baja Roads posted that on FB this morning...I asked them to remove it which they did. This video should be removed.
Hence the video itself isn't posted here. If they could just eliminate the graphic part and keep everything else, that would be great. I agree, no need to show the kid, but you know how the media is....
The part I really wanted to share is that they do mention the reason why the driver was released promptly, which is what this thread is asking (because the kid's parents "forgave" the driver - I'm using quotes because that's the language the reporter uses-); in addition, they claim that the driver has to meet with the investigators whenever they ask him to. So he will probably making several trips to Ensenada in the following weeks. I don't know how accurate that statement is.

Edited: I posted a Facebook post with a link to the News website, where the video can be found. The video itself is not playable here on the thread, right? I mean, I hope it isn't showing. I wanted to edit my original post and delete the link to the News website but it won't let me edit that post anymore.
I truly only meant to provide supporting proof to the claims I made about the legal process following the accident. I actually literally covered the screen when the graphic scenes showed, I don't have to watch that part at all.

Last edited:

rmhrc630

Is there a real (not imagined) risk that this driver might be targeted by Mexican authorities the next time he crosses the border?

It seems to me that the Mexican police are subjective at best and thus the driver might be constantly targeted for misdemeanors.

harleys dad

Is there a real (not imagined) risk that this driver might be targeted by Mexican authorities the next time he crosses the border?

It seems to me that the Mexican police are subjective at best and thus the driver might be constantly targeted for misdemeanors.
I do not believe that at all, they let the truck go and let him go there is no bias against him on the part of the Mexican police or officials. It was a accident that is sad but I do not in any way believe he will be a target of any kind

Robin Hood

The back and forth "bullying" mentality that is playing out here is just plain disgusting! At the end of the day, a little boy lost his life, and the lives of those involved (his family, his classmates, the driver of the TT, etc.), are all changed forever! Please take a moment to stop blaming, and realize that while we, as bystanders, may be grieving, we don't have to go home from the race, without our little boy!! Or that we don't have to live the rest of our lives thinking what we could've done differently to avoid taking a child's life! Social Media is brutal, and people are grieving a loss that many cannot fathom! I can! Please stop! This was not a family who intentionally put their child in danger!! Nor was this a driver, who intentionally ran into people! It was a tragic accident!!! I love Off-Road, and have been a part of it for many years, but what in the heck is happening? Too many opinions, and not enough compassion, if you ask me!
Well said...It is a shame how much judgement surrounds our community!

mx_junky

The back and forth "bullying" mentality that is playing out here is just plain disgusting! At the end of the day, a little boy lost his life, and the lives of those involved (his family, his classmates, the driver of the TT, etc.), are all changed forever! Please take a moment to stop blaming, and realize that while we, as bystanders, may be grieving, we don't have to go home from the race, without our little boy!! Or that we don't have to live the rest of our lives thinking what we could've done differently to avoid taking a child's life! Social Media is brutal, and people are grieving a loss that many cannot fathom! I can! Please stop! This was not a family who intentionally put their child in danger!! Nor was this a driver, who intentionally ran into people! It was a tragic accident!!! I love Off-Road, and have been a part of it for many years, but what in the heck is happening? Too many opinions, and not enough compassion, if you ask me!
Seriously, this post should be all that needs to be said. End thread and close discussion, enough has happened already, let the healing begin for all of those that were involved.

When I heard about the tragic accident in the entrance to the wash on Saturday, it reminded me of last November at the Baja 1000. My fiance and I saw a TT that started towards the rear of the field nearly lose it not far from the 1st turn where there is a slight bend before the 2nd left turn. Couldn't believe what I saw. I remember shaking my head and telling my fiance "That guy's a damn fool - All it takes is someone having a lot of money with little skill wanting to live a dream with 800-900 hp...A recipe for disaster". I don't know who it was, but he scared the crap out of a lot of people who weren't even near it. Seriously, I see no point in trying to go balls out on the street right at the beginning with any vehicle built for the dirt - It's a long race. Would you drive a Ferrari in the dirt? And so ends my rant relating to last year.

As for this year - I'm glad that I wasn't at this 500. After reading the threads on this forum for this year's 500 race I have a sour taste in my mouth. My conclusion is that EVERYONE needs to use good judgement - Racers, race officials, law enforcement, & spectators alike. Hard to fathom all that happened, but the beauty and tradition of the Baja remains, & I'll be back.

My heart goes out to the families, friends, & loved ones of the little boy and two racers who lost their lives during this race. And yes, even to the driver of #75. I can't even imagine how bad he feels. Just thinking about it - If I ever had to bear that sort of burden, I'd probably put a cooler and tent in the back of my truck and spend a whole lot of time in solitude.

Goober

How do medical costs work in Mex. Is it all out of pocket? I assume health insurance doesn't work.

BigBlue&Goldie

How do medical costs work in Mex. Is it all out of pocket? I assume health insurance doesn't work.
I know in Puerto Pensaco is used to be cash up front before they would treat you. It might be different in the larger cities.

True story, when I was in college a kid came in to the bank I worked at with a cast on his hand. I asked him what happened and he said he had a firework blow up in his hand and he lost 2 fingers! He went to the hospital and they wouldn't even help him until he paid them. They pointed to an ATM in the corner and told him how much it would be. Naturally, he never told Visa he was going to Mexico, so they shut his card down right away. Luckily, some stranger gave him some money to get basic treatment so he could make it back across the border.

MikeLeung

I know in Puerto Pensaco is used to be cash up front before they would treat you. It might be different in the larger cities.

True story, when I was in college a kid came in to the bank I worked at with a cast on his hand. I asked him what happened and he said he had a firework blow up in his hand and he lost 2 fingers! He went to the hospital and they wouldn't even help him until he paid them. They pointed to an ATM in the corner and told him how much it would be. Naturally, he never told Visa he was going to Mexico, so they shut his card down right away. Luckily, some stranger gave him some money to get basic treatment so he could make it back across the border.
Also true story... I was on Sandy Beach by the Reef when some dumb ass college kids next to us were playing with those homemade paper mache fireworks. One blew up in some ones hand and he lost 2 fingers. This must have been 10-12 years ago.

biffgnar

Had to get medical attention in Bay of LA a few years ago and it was ... free! Well, it was whatever I wanted to donate at the clinic. Although, I think I might have gotten what I paid for as far as quality of care.

Honda48X

Last year I had a pretty good crash from the bike and road my bike to the El dorado ranch medical clinic and spent $160 bucks for x-rays and very high powered pain drugs and advise to my family and friends to get me to a United States Hospital ASAP. Looked like broken ribs and partial collapsed lung. Brother-in-law drove averaged around 90 miles an hour from San Felipe to Brawley medical center (recommended to go to Brawley vs el centra because Brawley deals move with off road accidents) spent the night in the Trauma room with five broken ribs and cat scan, x-rays and a $24,248 dollar hospital bill. Thank god for insurance.

BigBlue&Goldie

Also true story... I was on Sandy Beach by the Reef when some dumb ass college kids next to us were playing with those homemade paper mache fireworks. One blew up in some ones hand and he lost 2 fingers. This must have been 10-12 years ago.
I would say this was in 2006 or 2007, so it could've been the same kid.

Mark Newhan

I had a trip o the doctor at the Mil in 2013, spider bite that went horribly wrong. Spent a couple of hours getting looked over. Cost $90.00

firedog

We went from what goes on if you hit someone during a race to armchair quarterback to these were my injuries and this is where I was treated.

Can we just get some feedback from those who have been involved in an accident in Baja that resulted in contact with a spectator? Stay on topic please.

Best case scenario would be for a rep from SCORE to post up on how they will be involved with the process to help out the racer. Inquiring minds would like to know!

Ilovebaja

unfortunately yes you have to pay or leave a deposit to get medical help, always check with your insurance or call them before you go out of the country and have an emergency. usually what happens you ask for receipts and send it in to the insurance and they will reimburse you.

John Bitting

Administrator
It would be nice if someone from SCORE could give us a run down of procedures, coverages and results from incidents like this one.
Yes, great idea. a proper procedure leaflet with your registration or something posted online would be great. Its on everyones mind from racer to chaser to spectator the whole "what if" in a foreign country. Must don't have the resources to drop a wad of cash at a police station or jump in a helicopter for the border.

Ilovebaja

We went from what goes on if you hit someone during a race to armchair quarterback to these were my injuries and this is where I was treated.

Can we just get some feedback from those who have been involved in an accident in Baja that resulted in contact with a spectator? Stay on topic please.

Best case scenario would be for a rep from SCORE to post up on how they will be involved with the process to help out the racer. Inquiring minds would like to know!
one thing I do know is the family needs to sign a forgiveness letter to let the driver out.

Dlock5

one thing I do know is the family needs to sign a forgiveness letter to let the driver out.
They did, it's on another post here for the kid Xander's go fund account. They forgave him and asked for all if us the pray for him.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk