Your Dogs

JDDurfey

Reaction
My stepdaughter's Christmas present was ready to bring home the other day. Not my choice in dogs, but it wasn't my choice. This pics are comparisons between my dog Tank, 150 lb, and Beau who weighs in just under 2 lb!

My big dogs do not like the little guy. They aren't mean to him, but they get up and leave the room when he starts to play with them. It is pretty funny to watch a massive Mastiff walk away from a tiny yapping dog.

IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG

JasonHutter

Reaction
Bummer...

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
Reaction
Lol Tank looks like you’re forcing him to take that pic. I love all dogs but 2 pounds? That’s a Paris Hilton carrying it in her purse dog.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Tank was not happy being that close to the little runt. But he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and if pretty obedient.

Like I said, not my choice of dog, but it wasn't my choice. My step-kid wanted a little dog she could carry around with her. Her dad paid for the little ankle biter so I couldn't refuse.

JDDurfey

Reaction
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG

My mom adopted this beautiful Mastiff last week. She isn't pure bred, the former owners think she may have some Irish Setter. She is 10 months and weighs 82 lb. Needs to be trained, but she is learning quickly and has attached herself to my mom who is a widow and lives in the country. I think she will be a great dog.

ACME

Reaction
If anyone is looking: We have been helping foster a 3 year old Cattledog. He is a great guy, salt/pepper, 45lbs, lean, fast, very smart and loyal. He has an issue where he (overly IMHO) attaches to people and can become protective/aggressive to anyone he views as a threat, if he doesn't like how they are acting towards "his people". He's not out of control, and very well mannered once he warms up. Very dog friendly and part of the pack with the dogs we've intro'd him to and he plays with. House/doggy door trained, likes water but not a swimmer, good in cars/trips (head out the window guy), great running partner, fetcher, listens well and eager to please.

Would be a great dog for a single person, out in the country or in a big yard where he can be with his person or family and not have to deal with a lot of other people.

We are helping a rescue foster him off/on and he is responding great to his training. He is very intelligent but needs a consistent home that can continue with his training. They are looking at getting him into a program with a very respected trainer, but they need a perm or long term home that can continue to work with him. Honestly we'd adopt him but we travel a lot and have too many people/family etc coming and going. And when he's with us, he really attaches hard to us and he is overly protective of us...

If he sounds like a good fit; contact me and I can put you in touch with the rescue. 626 513-6455

J Prich

Reaction
Had to say goodbye to our Great Dane yesterday. He would have been 8 on Tuesday. He's been through some significant medical issues over the years but was able to fight through all of them. We moved him across the country and then all the way to London and back. A few months ago he developed a mass on the inside of his back leg. We intended to try to remove it but a pre surgery EKG found an irregular heart beat that made the vets nervous about the sedation required. No guarantee the mass could have been effectively removed anyway and also possible that they could have accidentally cut a tendon or damaged ligaments during the surgery so in short it wasn't worth the risk.

He rode it out for almost 5 months and the mass grew from the size of a golf ball to a basketball. In spite of his size he fought every day to keep getting himself up and it's remarkable that he was able to function for as long as he did. But the other day his back end gave out on him and he wasn't able to get up and stand without considerable effort which started to cause him stress and anxiety. Mentally he was still there, happy and wanting to do his usual stuff. But his body just couldn't sustain it any longer and we had to say goodbye.

Have owned dogs a lot over the years and as all of you know all to well, it's never easy to say goodbye regardless of circumstances. This one really sucked for me though because he's the biggest dog I've ever owned and he really did feel like a person. He adored people and loved attention. He was kind of a snowflake as far as dogs go, he constantly needed validation from people. He craved love and affection from everyone he met.

Because of his size he was the kind of dog that people gravitate towards. Friends would bring their kids over to see him. We used to have to take him for walks through Central London to get from the temporary flat to a park where he could poop and pee and the 5 min journey would take us 20-30 min every time because we'd get stopped everywhere we went.

Sucks for us and I'll be bummed for a while but just wanted to say that I know all of you know how it feels as it's something everyone who loves their pets has to deal with it. Never a good way to say goodbye and no matter how long you've spent together, it's always too soon. So anyway, love your dogs extra hard...saying goodbye blows.

CMA GUMBY

Reaction
So sorry to hear. I know how much he meant to the family. I remember your story of the long distance move back to the States.

J Prich

Reaction
So sorry to hear. I know how much he meant to the family. I remember your story of the long distance move back to the States.
Both ways was pretty crazy. We had to have a custom wooden crate made to fly him because the standard sizes were too small. We actually donated the crate we flew him over in to the London Zoo because we couldn't use it for anything. We flew him to London less than a year after he'd had bloat on Xmas day and we thought we might lose him then...he like a year and a half old. Then flying him back, he was going on 7 and we were so paranoid about the flight.

Then of course right when you get ready to do it you do the worst thing possible and Google stuff and find every story ever about pets that died on plane flights of whatever, LOL. There were days that dog definitely took a few years off my life, but the fun we had with having him balanced it out in the end.

Crazy how attached we get to animals.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I feel for you man. I took my 9 year old Mastiff/Black Lab out to the ranch last weekend. Usually he is runs out in front of the tractor with my other dog, but this time he loped along behind. When we got home I could tell his hips and joints were hurting him.

I am afraid the down hill slide is starting with him.

J Prich

Reaction
I feel for you man. I took my 9 year old Mastiff/Black Lab out to the ranch last weekend. Usually he is runs out in front of the tractor with my other dog, but this time he loped along behind. When we got home I could tell his hips and joints were hurting him.

I am afraid the down hill slide is starting with him.
Sucks when you get to those ailments that you can't do anything to fix, just mitigate.

CMA GUMBY

Reaction
This is why I don't like it when this thread is on top. Wish I knew how to post pics...

JDDurfey

Reaction
He started having some difficulty in cold weather a few years ago and the vet told me that there wasn't much that could be done. He is a big dog, about 150 lb, and due to some injuries when he was younger he would probably have joint problems. That is one of the downsides to having a big dog.

JDDurfey

Reaction
IMG_1818.JPG

Had to stop for gas in my XJ Cherokee on the way out to the ranch the other day. My 150 lb dog decided he needed to sit in my seat while I was inside the station. He may be huge, but he thinks he is a lap dog!

Miketent

Reaction
This is our Pomeranian, Calby. He’s a little tyke who loves to chew on his nylabones, cheerfully bark in the morning, play with the kids in the afternoon, and cuddle at night before bed time. He may be a bit naughty at times, but he’s a great, loyal four-legged friend, overall.

bajaherbie

Reaction
Arnold, our 7 year old Poodle/Bichon mix. Super good dog to say the least. He only plays with this tennis ball. We have introduced new ones but he refuses to play with them.
20180707_195802.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Dave_G

Reaction
Time to revive an old thread. Introducing "Penny" as in aka "Penny Lane". The wife and I flew to San Luis Obispo today and picked her up and brought her home. Her big sister "Abby Road" is over the moon to have a friend once again and the planets have aligned. I'm still kicking myself for why I signed up for this duty for the next year but it is what it is. She's awesome!

Dave

Penny 1.jpg
Penny 2.jpg