• Forum membership has its advantages....

You're best Baja Bob Gordon story.....

Rory

Crayola Killer
It has been a very tough week for me and a lot of my friends who were a lot closer to Bob than I was, I can only imagine what it is like for the family. I've always found it easier to cope with a loss by hearing stories of the good times and the joy that came from those stories. If you guys have a good Bob Gordon story, please sit down, have a cold one, and let us hear it.

It's funny how you come into meeting people. For me it was my artwork. I met the Gordons in the early 90's as I did some artwork for Robby for his La Victoria Ford Ranger and then the Valvoline TT. Robby invited me to go testing in Parker and that's where I met Bob. Robby was testing the Valvoline TT with his semi truck, 2 chase trucks and other vehicles while Bob had the Chenowth, suburban and trailer while working out of a tool box in the back of the Suburban. I ended up spending most of the day with Bob, listening to stories and him telling me about his car. By the end of the day he had given myself, my buddy Erin (Turn 2 TV) a ride in "Betsy", and then at the end of the day asked my 12 year old daughter Lindsey if she wanted to go for a ride. Lindsey was ecstatic! Once they got in the car he took off from Shea road and headed to the goat trail, then would cross over to Osborne wash and come back to camp. The loop was probably 10 miles or so and I could hear Bob taking it easy at first and then REALLY getting on the gas. My wife Tracy, Erin and myself all looked at each other as we hear the sound of that flat 6 Porsche SCREAMING in the distance and start laughing!

About 15 minutes later Bob pulls in and shuts the car off. Lindsey has a HUGE smile on her face and I asked Bob how she did. Bob says "Well, I told her when we took off if I was going too fast to just tap me on the leg and I would slow down.........it's a good thing I didn't tell her to tap me on the leg to go FASTER"!

BG Chenowth.jpg

BG art.jpg

Rory

Crayola Killer
I put "You're" instead of "your" in the title, I'm such an idiot. Can the moderator change that.....PLEASE!! LOL

offroadracer516

I never got the chance to meet Bob. But he was always a hero of mine growing up. I would watch our recorded offroad videos over and over and over. And he was in most of them. One of the coolest things I can remember seeing is when he showed up to Baja with the BIG Chevy in Betsy. Pretty sure it was a V8. Talk about bitchen!

Tim

Thanks for posting this thread. I didn't know Bob, but I'd like to read some stories of the better times and I bet his family and friends would too.

JPBart

I crossed paths with him a number of times over the years of chasing and prerunning in Baja. I remember having lunch with him in Catavina because one of my guys was friends with him and we happened to be there at the same time. The one thing that stands out in my faded memory is how proud he was of his family. I will miss the random hellos when we would pull into or out of parking lots or pit areas. He always seemed to ask if we needed anything and gave the impression he would do his best to help if you did. I never did but it was cool of him to ask.

He was truly an icon of our sport. Godspeed

Bricoop

I met Bob at a neighborhood bbq over 10 years ago. He's the one that got me interested in the sport of off-road racing. Back when I was in High School Bob and family took me to Fontana to watch Robby run a cup race. It was an incredible experience to be introduced to many of the Gordon's friends who I was able to see a few more times over the years on trips to Glamis and the track. They all are a great group of people.

This particular trip to Fontana Bob spent almost all of his time in Robby's pitbox, Of course Bob should be in the pitbox, the Chenoweth and Stock Car were similar enough that he could provide good setup notes ;). He was kind enough to bring me along too which is something I'll never forget. We spent the day watching RG run around the back of the pack. After the race, Bob was running in between moving stock cars getting down on his hands and knees to see how other teams had their rear sway bars setup, all-the-while being yelled at by the mechanics to move out of way before we got run over. He even dragged me along to show me how "we F****n missed it, we weren't even F****n close."

RIP

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
I have a few, but my favorite was from a (old) Laughlin race when
I walked out of Harrah's and Bob was standing there, race suit on,
helmet in hand, and his whole crew had left him.....I slyly asked him
if he needed a ride to the start......He politely declined because he knew
I'd take out in the desert and drop him off somewhere..........
(He & Butch were one of our main competitors.)

harleys dad

I first met Bob at the 1977 Baja 500 in the tech line when I was a teenager racing Vws, the best story I have of Bob was when Score held the off road world championships in Arizona we were staying at the same hotel, we heir a bunch of racket outside our room and its Bob Gordon Jim Fricker Rod Hall RG and several others sitting in the hall way swapping stories with a cooler of drinks. We ended up out in the hall way untill the wee hours of the morning and only got a couple hours sleep before we had to be at the track the next morning. Real fun night. Bob will be missed

EBryant

Aside from Rory's Parker story above (when Bob took me for my first ride in a Trophy Truck, although it was still considered a class 1 truck), I had several encounters with him at races in the desert as well as at Mickey Thompson Stadium races. He always had time to talk racing with anyone that would listen. Truly a class act and an ambassador for our sport. He will be missed.

Godspeed Bob...

H-rider

Thanks for the opportunity to share a memory and bring a smile to my face during a grim time.

The memory was in Barstow the evening after the Fireworks 250 either '89 or '90. I worked for Unique Metal Products and co-owner Larry Storck let me take his famous 8 seater to the race. Race day I had friends and fellow UMPsters Gary Brady and Jeff Howe in the buggy as we watched the race.

Back to post-race evening. We had left our hotel heading for dinner in the 8 seater. We drove past another hotel and saw Bob, Tim Crabtree and another gent (I feel bad I can't remember his name- he was Scoop Vessels mechanic & co-dog ?) coming out of the hotel. They saw us and yelled for us to pull in. We pulled in and found they were also headed out for dinner.
The three of them jumped in and we headed out for dinner. I pulled out onto the main avenue in Barstow looking for a restaurant. At the first stop light, we had a police car pull next to us in right lane. As we sat through the red light, the officer was giving us a LONG look as to if we were legal and belonged on the street. The light turned green, I was just starting to let the clutch out when the engine revved to the moon... I looked to the back seat to see Bob leaning over the back and grabbing a handful of throttle! I quickly pushed in the clutch as everyone in the car was busting up! I looked over at the cop, he smirked and drove off.

We finished the evening over dinner with plenty of stories and laughs. It was a very memorable night.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

La Tijereta

One of Bob's best memories for me, was his win with his daughter Robyn at the 1990 Baja 1000...

Vaya con Dios Amigo...

1990.Baja 1000.Bob Gordon at Finish.jpg

Rory

Crayola Killer
Thanks for the opportunity to share a memory and bring a smile to my face during a grim time.

The memory was in Barstow the evening after the Fireworks 250 either '89 or '90. I worked for Unique Metal Products and co-owner Larry Storck let me take his famous 8 seater to the race. Race day I had friends and fellow UMPsters Gary Brady and Jeff Howe in the buggy as we watched the race.

Back to post-race evening. We had left our hotel heading for dinner in the 8 seater. We drove past another hotel and saw Bob, Tim Crabtree and another gent (I feel bad I can't remember his name- he was Scoop Vessels mechanic & co-dog ?) coming out of the hotel. They saw us and yelled for us to pull in. We pulled in and found they were also headed out for dinner.
The three of them jumped in and we headed out for dinner. I pulled out onto the main avenue in Barstow looking for a restaurant. At the first stop light, we had a police car pull next to us in right lane. As we sat through the red light, the officer was giving us a LONG look as to if we were legal and belonged on the street. The light turned green, I was just starting to let the clutch out when the engine revved to the moon... I looked to the back seat to see Bob leaning over the back and grabbing a handful of throttle! I quickly pushed in the clutch as everyone in the car was busting up! I looked over at the cop, he smirked and drove off.

We finished the evening over dinner with plenty of stories and laughs. It was a very memorable night.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
Kirk, thank you for that, it made my day. I can see that Bob Gordon smirk plain as day.......LOL

ACME

My first SCORE race was the Great Mojave 250 in '86 racing a 3 wheeler. They did a split format race and the bikes started in the afternoon after the cars were already out there. We came in late but were either 1-2 mins before the cutoff or just at it, and were running 2nd or third as the others in our class were still behind us. We needed to get counted for 2 laps as we were behind them on lap 1.

I skid into the finish line chute where the telephone poles were and nothing except guys cleaning up? No flagman, some groups of people and a few cars but nothing else? My wife/buddies and myself are running around trying to figure who do we give our stub can to etc? One guy points to the opps trailer that was about 50 yards up from the finish in the fading light. I run over with my stub can screaming about the finish and WTF... The gal says no one has come in for over 10 mins and no cars were reported in the last 5 miles so they shut it down and that I'm 3 mins late. I tell her I stopped at the finish line and pointed to my guys and bike and had to find out where to go, tear the stub can off and run over here so we weren't late!!! She points to some people about 50' away and says talk to the guy in the white shirt.

Sal, Bob and a very young Robby are off by themselves talking heatedly and this kid is screaming at Sal to "Fix it" and "I'm not putting up with this $h%T" and he is pretty much on fire!!!! I'm frustrated, try to interrupt and Sal gives me the one minute sign. Bob looks like a deer in headlights while this kid keeps screaming to this SCORE guy about how it's BS, and this better get taken care of blah blah blah with a few F$&%*@**%!!!! thrown in for color... I try again, Sal gives me the wait sign while this guy keeps screaming and the older guy in a BFG shirt is just standing there not feeling very comfortable with the whole deal; Then the young yells "Fix It" and storms off. Sal starts talking to the older guy (Bob) and I try interrupt again and try to plead my case, but Sal wants to deal with this guys issue and the whining kid and he is not in a good mood... I'm dancing around like I goota pee, bouncing foot to foot, pretty wound up and looking for some ones tail to kick. Bob stops Sal and says: "Why don't you talk to this guy then deal with Robby". I took the queue and I'm sure I sounded very similar to the young guy screaming about my issue while Bob's standing there kicking dirt.

Sal finishes with me which is another story, and I'm pretty pissed. My guys are grabbing my stuff, one takes the bike back and I climb in a truck and we head to our pit which is pretty obvious. It's in an open spot with all the car teams gone, 3 ATC's, T.C. Honda banners etc. I'm changing and likely having a beer as our guys come in from the pits.

About 30 mins later Bob walks up and introduces himself, hands me a beer and apologizes for making me wait 10 mins while his kid was venting. We talked for a few minutes and I plead my case to him and he listened. We talked about bikes and racing cars for a few mins and I honestly had no clue who he or the kid was. He was very apologetic about me having to wait to speak to Sal and seemed like a very cool guy and I wished him luck with the kid.

We skipped awards as I wasn't in the mood and figured we only got timed for one lap anyway, so my lap didn't even count in my first big "SCORE" race. I get a call Monday night from SCORE that we were officially third (not 6th like we figured based on the first lap). He had called the Rider of Record, told him and asked if he was the finisher? The guy said no and Sal got my number from him...

Sal then apologizes for the issue at the finish and tells me the guy I was waiting on to talk to him, brought some guys over who happened to be at the finish line. They saw me cross the line, the confusion and what happened. Because of that confirmation and since no one else finished the second lap in our class and because the timing stuff had been moved after the start for safety reasons, we got the finish.

I didn't know him other than that one chance interaction, but he is and will always be a true off road racer...

Prayers to the family

Last edited:

bajatime

This is our story. The year is 2011 and the place is mama Espinozas . My wife Deanne is having breakfast with our rv chase team which is going down the Hwy1 while the race is coming down from Mexicali. This other team comes in and sits next to her and if anyone knows my wife she talks to everyone. She starts talking with the guys and finds out Bob had farmed in the Antelope Valley and new a lot of friends of ours. They talked about Osama Bin Laden being killed and about what they were doing there. Bob said they were racing and he wasn't sure what number his car was but he would find out at Chapala. Deanne tells him our number is 30 and they say goodbye. Our race team arrives at Chapala to find the rest of our team watching some guys trailer and truck because he said that he met this blond gal at Mama's and she gave him our race number and since he now knew us it would be ok to watch his stuff while he went out playing in the pre-runner. While we broke our race car and didn't make it to Chapala the race team went on to Bola for the night. The next day I caught up with the race team to continue our now vacation instead of race and was told of this story. When Deanne tells me this story and I tell her who Bob Gordon was, being a racer and father of Robbie Gordon she was shocked. She says to me he never said who he was or anything about Robbie except to say his son raced offroad too. Later in La Paz we caught up at the awards and she told Bob that she now knew who he was and was very happy with his non nonchalant appearance and appreciated him listening to her talk about her husband and son racing. After that year Bob always recognized us and always asked how we were doing in the race.

sb4pro

I am loving each and every one of these stories. As huge a Robby fan as I am I've never had the chance to meet either Robby or Bob . Sadly I won't meet Bob now but feel like even more of Robby fan now . Thank you for sharing all these stories.

blue dog

Sorta met Bob at the Estero Beach Hotel during the 1000, not sure what year it was. I was walking by a white Tahoe or Yukon in the parking lot with my dog following close by. I hear a voice say something about Blue Heeler. I stop and reply yep, the man replies great dogs and asks if he can meet him. I oblige and tell him Leo likes all humans. It was Bob, he gets out of the truck and gives Leo a scratch and says great dog, and I go on my way.
Pan ahead next year, we have our visual pit set up at Borrego during a race, I think the 500, In rolls Robby's black chase trucks and they Get prepared right next to to where we are. a few minutes later, Bob comes wondering over and asks is that Leo ? He remembered Leo from a 1 minute conversation in a parking lot the year previous.

luvbaja2

I first met Bob and Sharon as we shared a table at Flora Farms in San Jose after a NORRA race. We were invited guests of the Arciero family and sat across from Bob. We talked racing all night and barely finished our meal. It was a highlight of my Baja racing career to be in the company of these great Baja racing families.

EBryant

Great stories. These got me thinking even deeper and I guess I forgot about this one because it wasn't necessarily off-road racing related.
It was my first "assignment" as an intern at Channel 3 in Phoenix circa 1995. Robby was in his 2nd year driving Indycars for Derrick Walker and there was a race at Phoenix International Raceway coming up. I begged the bosses to let me shoot the race for them so they could take the day off.
Somehow I ended up on pit row with a Betacam (did I mention it was 1995) on my shoulder. Naturally, I followed the Valvoline car and crew everywhere and I had seen Bob hanging out prerace, said hello and continued my work.
With some brilliant fuel strategy, Robby ended passing Michael Andretti (who stopped for a splash of fuel) with 4 or 5 laps to go and wound up winning his first Indycar race. I found myself in the post race camera scrum on the front straight, capturing Robby wiping the tears away and climbing out of the car. As a newbie, I was quickly shoved aside for the ABC Sports crew to get in and get their interviews. I spotted an ecstatic Bob Gordon in the back as well and captured his reaction. I dug deep to find this footage and to share another one of Bob's great moments as a proud father. Enjoy...

Last edited:

JaysinDesignz

I want to here the real story and the latest news. Seems like a touchy subject to find out what just happened here.