Yz250f ??????

peezy

Reaction
on craigslist i saw a YZ250F for sale $1600obo but the only thing that is wrong with it is that he says

"The bike is currently not running. Last time it was taken to the shop for a carburetor cleaning, they said the valves were at their final adjustment.
Probably needs another carburetor cleaning. Does need valve job and throttle cable".

What u guys think (good/bad)

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
on craigslist i saw a YZ250F for sale $1600obo but the only thing that is wrong with it is that he says

"The bike is currently not running. Last time it was taken to the shop for a carburetor cleaning, they said the valves were at their final adjustment.
Probably needs another carburetor cleaning. Does need valve job and throttle cable".

What year? How often was it ridden? How many owners if he is not the only one? How good are the seals on the suspension? It likely wasn't raced if it is only now needing a valve job. Throttle cables aren't much, but if it needs replacing because it has been stretched out to much, you are looking at a bike that has a lot of hours on it. How good are the chain and sprockets?

motoman29

Reaction
RUN!

that bike is most likely junk. even a bro deal is going to set you back a minimum of $500. it will be like pulling a thread on a sweater, you will have $1000 in the bike and it will still be clapped out.

hold out for something that already runs and you can just ride, not fix then ride.

but, that's just me.;)

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Its got a steel frame, the new ones are lighter.
Its gonna cost ya too much to replace the valves. IMO
whats wrong with the 1 in your avatar?

peezy

Reaction
o the one in the picture, we ran into some problems with money and had to sale it. and we dont have a lot of money for another one so we are trying to find a cheap but good one,

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
RUN!

that bike is most likely junk. even a bro deal is going to set you back a minimum of $500. it will be like pulling a thread on a sweater, you will have $1000 in the bike and it will still be clapped out.

hold out for something that already runs and you can just ride, not fix then ride.

but, that's just me.;)
What he said.

stubym125

Reaction

I Have a a lot of Yzf250 parts I could help you out with.http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=47866&cat=32 Price is not a factor.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1098437956.html
i found this i might want to try a 2 stroke 125
Unless you plan on racing Motocross with a 125, forget it. You won't be able to trail ride it, you'll most likey "blow it up". You have to replace rings a lot more. For a beginner like you, stick with the CRF230 you mentioned before. It will be a good training bike for you. Both riding skills and, learning to service the bike as needed.Whatever you do, ask if you can have the bike looked over by a shop (dealer) or a competent mechanic. There are plenty of people out there willing to sell you a pile of junk and convince you it's a good deal!!

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
my buddy has a 07 kxf 125 for $1500, pro circut exhaust, jetting... Looks new!
pm me if ya want it.

Goober

Reaction
Unless you plan on racing Motocross with a 125, forget it. You won't be able to trail ride it, you'll most likey "blow it up". You have to replace rings a lot more. For a beginner like you, stick with the CRF230 you mentioned before. It will be a good training bike for you. Both riding skills and, learning to service the bike as needed.Whatever you do, ask if you can have the bike looked over by a shop (dealer) or a competent mechanic. There are plenty of people out there willing to sell you a pile of junk and convince you it's a good deal!!
Haha I only trail ride my 125. Of course I did blow the top end, hmm. But thats the only thing I got. You see them racing H&H's and they used to race Baja. Of course I'm paranoid to ride it by myself. I've only had problems.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Haha I only trail ride my 125. Of course I did blow the top end, hmm. But thats the only thing I got. You see them racing H&H's and they used to race Baja. Of course I'm paranoid to ride it by myself. I've only had problems.
Good post! You just told Peezy everything he needs to know.

kenaroo

Reaction
I race desert for 5 years on a 125.. had a few top 10 finishes and went two of those years without a DNF. that is a better record than any 4stk big bore bike I've owned and I was racing a lot more back on the 1.2.5 than I have done lately..

To say a 125 will blow up in the desert is BS.. It's all in the way you ride and prep your bike. It can happen.. but every brand and size of motorcycle has blown up in the desert..

no they are not as fast as a 450 but if you have skills you can hang. In fact.. it makes you a lot faster on a bigger bore bike after you learn how to go fast on a 125.

They are great fun, light and nimble and definitely fast enough to get in trouble.

I even rode mine at Glamis and had a blast.. now... I didn't win dragging up Comp hill but I still had a great time

but this is when I was young and weighed a buck-50. now at the age of 40 and 200 plus pounds.. I like my 525...

Bottom line is to find a bike in your Budget that has the least wear and tear. a bike that will last you a few years until you get the bug to get a new one.

most important is to have fun..

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Kenaroo, you make some good points. I think your last sentence tells all for "Peezy". I don't think he can afford much. Bike wise and parts wise. 125's are great bikes. I have friends who have raced and won in Baja on them. My feeling is he'll (Peezy) have more fun on a four stroke. I ride an XR600 in Baja (prerun bike) and a CR250 in the desert and track. Your 100% right, it's all in the prep. I think I still have a piston with a nice hole through the top of it. My fault and the crappy two stroke oil we HAD to use for a race.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Capatino Where are you? Capatino aka Kirk Hester was Hella fast on his 125 cagiva in the mid 80s @ district 38.
RIP FUD.

CHASER

Reaction
Good post. 125's really teach you how to ride and carry momentum. And in the right terrain they can be a blast. But I think a 250 2 stroke would be the best all around bet. Get a older one that's in good shape so you can still have a green sticker. There fast, light and will be less work than a 4 stroke. If I had the extra $$$$$ I'd love to get one to play around on. If you could find a clean one cheap (rare) a KTM 300 is a awesome bike.

I race desert for 5 years on a 125.. had a few top 10 finishes and went two of those years without a DNF. that is a better record than any 4stk big bore bike I've owned and I was racing a lot more back on the 1.2.5 than I have done lately..

To say a 125 will blow up in the desert is BS.. It's all in the way you ride and prep your bike. It can happen.. but every brand and size of motorcycle has blown up in the desert..

no they are not as fast as a 450 but if you have skills you can hang. In fact.. it makes you a lot faster on a bigger bore bike after you learn how to go fast on a 125.

They are great fun, light and nimble and definitely fast enough to get in trouble.

I even rode mine at Glamis and had a blast.. now... I didn't win dragging up Comp hill but I still had a great time

but this is when I was young and weighed a buck-50. now at the age of 40 and 200 plus pounds.. I like my 525...

Bottom line is to find a bike in your Budget that has the least wear and tear. a bike that will last you a few years until you get the bug to get a new one.

most important is to have fun..

captainuno

Reaction
Thanks for the kind words Troy :D
There is nothing wrong with 125's in the desert, just as long as the jetting is correct and the set up is right. With a 125 you definitly learn how to ride the bike, not the power. They are a lot more forgiving than any 4 stroke, light and easy to toss about. Much easier to ride in the tight technical stuff. They will teach how to shift, how to clutch and how to brake better than any other bike.
125's have been out of the mainstream for a few years now, so most don't remember how fast some people were on them, a rider named Eddy Foland won 7 overalls in D38 in 1983 on a KX125. Back then 125's were just as compedative as any other size bike.

Best Regards,

Hey Ken, we missed you at the National

Last edited:

kenaroo

Reaction
Hey Ken, we missed you at the National
Wedged my ankle between a root and the the frame of racing the week before.

ended up with a cracked ankle behind my achilies tendon and some ligimate damage.

still not healed up. missed two TORCS races already.

Getting old sucks.

Goober

Reaction
So as I stated above I just redid the top end of my 125. What mix would you run? And any tips to keep it from happening again? I would like to be able to ride by myself and not worry.