Zamp helmets and driving suits??? Anyone try them???

Chris Tobin

Looking into budget minded safety gear and the Zamp line keeps popping up. They seem to be sold online everywhere including Jegs and Summit Racing at good prices like $200 for an SFI 3.2a/5 driving suit which isn't much more than rental...

I need to find gear for my son for a possible run in this year's Baja 1000 as well as a new suit for me too...

Any experience with Zamp or other budget minded suggestions for safety gear would be greatly appreciated. We are open to used gear too if the price is right. He is 5" 6" 145 or so pounds and in good shape with a 40" or so chest... I am a chubby guy at 5' 8" and 235 or so pounds with a 50" chest...

Thanks in advance...

LBZ00

Hi Chris, im in the market also for a Helmet and suit and looking different budget options, have you find any good deal on a head & neck restraint? I was looking a the z-tech 1A, any output?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

firedog

I do not have any experience with Zamp. However I can say that fit and comfort of the helmet is a priority for me. I want a helmet that fits well and does not have any "hot spots", especially if your going to be in the race vehicle for a few hundred miles. Just make sure the helmet is rated SA 2015.

Fourstroker

We h ad a few friends buy their helmets a few years ago. Most uncomfortable helmet I have ever had on my head. They were budget minded as well.....and then they started to fall apart. Personally I would stay away.

BajaVIC

I love my new Zamp carbon helmet its light fits well there new helmets have come a long way way better than my old impact helmet and 1/3 the price another bonus is shields for 26 bucks not 75 like others

Fourstroker

Good to know Vic. Where did you pick yours up?

JaysinDesignz

Contact me: I have some nice price range on K1 suits & have Zamp and Pyrotec helmets. I dont have all the helmets listed but carry all there helmets.
Buy from racers & help support racing.

www.socalraceshop.com

FYI- $200 for a 2 layer is way underprice.

ACME

Call PCI or try Wine Country Motorsports (locations in FL & Sonoma), great people and prices on suits/gloves and shoes. Try before you buy a helmet and remember you get what you pay for, just like cheap comm equipment...

dan200

#BSF200
I have zero experience with this particular brand but I sell a lot of helmets. Here's my two cents.

How I describe some of my wares-

IMPACTs are " Cadilac Escalades"- top of the line-luxury interior-spendy but worth it
HJC- to me is a nicely equipped Tahoe. Not as refined but still a quality piece of safety equipment. I would run one and feel totally safe.
Ive had other brands and Impact and HJC are what I like, in that order.
They will both protect your brain.

Please remember that Helmets are an item that needs to be "serviced". I promise you that SDHQ and the rest of the trackside vendors will not have the service items your going to want need. We wont have your shields. we wont have the little hinge part thing's so your shield goes up and down. Depending on the model, I may not have your tear offs either. Every race I meet a guy or two who screwed up his last shield, broke a tearoff post off, cracked a hinge or needs his stuff rewired and the interior of the helmet is crap and cant be removed/repaired/retrofitted very well/easily. He tells me how he couldn't pass up the great deal he got on his brain bucket. Saved 50 bucks or a couple hundred even and now, 24 hours before the race starts, while hundred of miles from home, hes screwed because stupid metric screw is missing and his shield wont work. If you get one of these, buy spare everything for it because nobody I know trackside sells or services those.

And I also suspect that these $30 shields are not anti fog and the non anti fog ones suck.

Take a Zamp and try and push in the lower front part that protects your face. Is is really flexy? (I dunno but cheap helmets usually are.) Then try that on a higher end helmet. It won't be. That part protects your FACE. Think about that.

It's only your brain you're trying to protect so maybe save money someplace else.

Feel free to call SDHQ and talk to out team about "the good stuff" 480-633-2929

R. Gross

My Kids bought (3) Zamp helmets last year online and then had PCI wire them at BAP. Only (2) races on them so to judge yet is probably premature. They said they fit good and were comfortable and the only complaint was that they ordered the top mounted vent and they were hot at the August Midnight Special, but then again it was only a billion degrees out in Las Vegas.

Chris Tobin

Contact me: I have some nice price range on K1 suits & have Zamp and Pyrotec helmets. I dont have all the helmets listed but carry all there helmets.
Buy from racers & help support racing.

www.socalraceshop.com

FYI- $200 for a 2 layer is way underprice.
While it is great to "keep the money in the sport" it is hard to justify paying a ton for what could be a one time use racing suit.

We can rent a suit for around $100 for a good suit. So unless we find a clearance or used suit for not a lot more we will probably go that route...

Speedway Motors has the Sparco Jade 2 suite for $200 to $270 depending on size. If we buy suits we will probably go that route... but it would be great to find used suits or some other kind of bargain.

I already found a helmet bargain with a team that is letting me buy a couple of their old SA2005 helmets (HJC blown and wired) for $100 each. I know they will only be good for this year's 1000 with SCORE, but that is the same price as rental and they would make cool trophies. It is also the same price as the PCI wiring kit so we could even move the wiring to a new helmet in the future and not loose money at all...

Any other suggestions for good deals on budget priced safety equipment???

dan200

#BSF200
The SPARCO jades are great and a great deal. The bigger the size the bigger the price but for a multi layer "off the rack" suit they are fantastic and economical.

I encourage you to check out my friend Jeff Furriers stuff at UPR.

UPR Racing Supply - Racing Equipment & Racing Products

Quite honestly, when it comes to safety equipment, Jeff knows his stuff and is one of the best in the business. I have learned a LOT from. Hes got as great inventory and there is always some stupidly cool deal on closeout stuff on his site.

Chris Tobin

The SPARCO jades are great and a great deal. The bigger the size the bigger the price but for a multi layer "off the rack" suit they are fantastic and economical.

I encourage you to check out my friend Jeff Furriers stuff at UPR.

UPR Racing Supply - Racing Equipment & Racing Products

Quite honestly, when it comes to safety equipment, Jeff knows his stuff and is one of the best in the business. I have learned a LOT from. Hes got as great inventory and there is always some stupidly cool deal on closeout stuff on his site.
Thanks Dan, I forgot about Jeff and UPR... Closeouts are great... Like I have no problem with an SA2010 or 2005 Helmet if the price is right...

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Please don't cheap out on safety equipment especially on a helmet..
Spend the extra $100-200 more on something decent.
shop around SDHQ, PCI or give Jeff at UPR a call.

His Ebay store has good deals
Items in UPR Racing Supply Outlet store on eBay!

LBZ00

While it is great to "keep the money in the sport" it is hard to justify paying a ton for what could be a one time use racing suit.

We can rent a suit for around $100 for a good suit. So unless we find a clearance or used suit for not a lot more we will probably go that route...

Speedway Motors has the Sparco Jade 2 suite for $200 to $270 depending on size. If we buy suits we will probably go that route... but it would be great to find used suits or some other kind of bargain.

I already found a helmet bargain with a team that is letting me buy a couple of their old SA2005 helmets (HJC blown and wired) for $100 each. I know they will only be good for this year's 1000 with SCORE, but that is the same price as rental and they would make cool trophies. It is also the same price as the PCI wiring kit so we could even move the wiring to a new helmet in the future and not loose money at all...

Are the SA2005 helmets legal for this year2017 Baja 1000???

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

51rcr

the jade suits zipper reviews you will see and did have some stitching separate in the arms and a couple of other spots. My zipper issue was self caused. They are a bit heavy for hot summer events. But they are priced good. I seem to get a snag somehow or an oil spot so I kinda like them for $200. I really do want an all nomex suit and even a custom suit but by the time you send them in. I had a custom suit before and they are nice.

51rcr

Buy good underwear. Make a cheap suit that much better. You should wear it anyway. It last a long time and wont wear out like a suit.

JaysinDesignz

Yes 2005, 2010 & 2015 helmets are still legal.

Buy from www.socalraceshop.com I heard that guy is the tits & 100% Baja...