2021 Ford F-150 Raptor Upgraded With FOX 3.1 Live Valve Suspension
Internal Bypass Coil-Over Front Shocks, Piggyback Rear Shocks
El Cajon, CA – February 3, 2021 – The all-new 2021 Ford® F-150 Raptor includes upgraded FOX 3.1 Live Valve suspension, combining the best of semi-active, electronically-controlled compression damping with desert race-winning, position-sensitive internal bypass technology to provide a smooth and comfortable feeling on the pavement with aggressive control and stability at high speeds off-road in real time.
FOX athlete Justin Lofton was victorious racing a Live Valve system adapted for Trophy Truck with the same high-force electronic valve being introduced commercially on the 2021 F-150 Raptor.
“It’s no easy task to improve what we’ve done with Live Valve on the popular Raptor several years running,” FOX Powered Vehicle Group Director of Marketing Tony Pauly said. “Dancing the fine line between on-road comfort and off-road performance is something FOX does best, and we feel the new 3.1 Live Valve delivers on our promise to Ford to elevate the 2021 F-150 Raptor.”
FOX’s patented position-sensitive internal bypass damping combined with Live Valve electronic technology continuously and intelligently adjusts compression damping in real-time, delivering the optimal ride for any terrain or driving situation. By using vehicle sensors and accelerometers, Live Valve can instantly adapt to inertial, steering, braking, and acceleration inputs to actively maximize handling, comfort, and bottom-out resistance. FOX 3.1 Live Valve shocks are covered under the Ford Factory 10-year/150,000-mile warranty.
FOX increased the shock bodies and internals from the previous design, allowing you to drive full tilt off-road with increased handling performance while significantly improving control over bigger obstacles. With a dynamic range of twice the prior valve design, the new electronic valve architecture shrugs off significantly larger hits with the feeling of bottomless travel and smooths out the most rutted out teeth-rattling washboards.
Highlights compared to 2020 Raptor Live Valve Shocks:
- Double the range of damping control of MY20 Live Valve system in the 35” wheel version and 2-1/2 times the range in the 37” wheel version;
- New larger 3.1” diameter anodized aluminum shock bodies specially designed to withstand the higher internal pressures created by the new electronic valve’s wider dynamic range;
- Unique tuning for 35” and 37” tire versions;
- Increased shaft diameter from 7/8” to 1” for 37” tire version’s front shocks to increase off-road strength and boost damping range;
- 1/2” suspension lift (37” tire version);
- Low friction PTFE-infused shock fluid.
FOX also retuned the mechanical damping of 2021 Ford F-150 Raptor shocks to counteract the new forces generated by Ford’s more aggressive tire sizing, wheel travel and suspension geometry. The internal bypass tubes were redesigned with a new progressive damping curves to increase fluid flow for more comfort in the ride zone, while improving the force ramp-up at the end of the stroke to counteract bottom-out in high-speed whoops and hidden rock gardens. Competitor’s shocks with position-sensitive damping are often only able to control the very end of the shock travel, leading to harsh changes in compression.
FOX’s patented internal bypass design allows for multiple zones of control that progressively increase damping to support the vehicle. As the shocks compress, different zones within the bypass system give exactly the amount of support needed for the travel being used, and work in reverse as the shocks rebound back to full height. With the shocks providing the right amount of damping force at every position, the Raptor stays planted on both the road and trail. This gives you the confidence to go where even a mountain goat wouldn’t dare.
Additionally, Raptor street performance improves greatly due to the new anti-friction FOX shock fluid, making the road-to-dirt transition virtually seamless.
FOX doubled the control range compared to the previous FOX Raptor Live Valve front shocks for the 35-inch tires, and more than doubled it for the 37-inch tire upgrade. With more wheel travel on the new 35-inch version compared to last year, more leverage on the shock requires a wider range of damping with the same length shock.
The onboard ECU adjusts the shocks compression damping multiple times per second, with the capability to add up to 1,000 lbs. of damping force per shock.
The retuned Normal and Sport suspension modes give you maximum comfort and performance while driving on-road. Ford’s algorithm focuses on keeping the chassis level during corners to control body roll and provide optimal on-road handling.
The all-new Off-Road suspension mode uses an entirely different and new algorithm to provide maximum comfort and performance while driving off-road. This algorithm uses leading edge signals to predict your driving style and what the terrain will do next to determine how the shocks should be adjusted in the next moment.
- Larger 3.1” diameter anodized aluminum shock tubes (both 35” and 37” tire). Increased tube wall thickness supports higher internal shock pressures (higher pressures = more compression damping force). This larger body has ~5% more surface area for cooling.
- Larger 1” front shaft made of hard chrome-plated, induction-hardened steel (37” tire) replaces 7/8”. This forces more oil through the Live Valve system, increasing control authority to over 1,000 lbs. per shock. All new jounce bumpers were developed specifically for the 37-inch tire package.
New parts driven by high pressure valves:
- Higher pressure shock seals;
- New tunes;
- New base valve design;
- New solenoid valve design.
New parts driven by larger 1” shaft:
- New quadruple rod seal pack;
- New custom foam jounce bumper;
- Unique tuning specific to the 37” tire truck;
New low friction PTFE-infused FOX shock fluid improves on-road ride comfort:
- FOX’s latest fluid has microscopic PTFE particles infused with the oil to reduce friction and increase ride comfort.