Imagine a contingency row with 100+ race cars, thousands of fans looking for posters or stickers and vendors interacting with the racers to make sure stickers are run in proper locations…oh wait. That will be the start of the San Felipe story.
Laughlin contingency was a very low attended event in the middle of the strip. Vendor attendance was high and a steady stream of race cars cruised through but none of the chaos from years past. It’s always great interacting with racers and vendors but something about the atmosphere just seemed different. The economy may be to blame or the impending Parker race in a couple of weeks or maybe the MORE race this weekend in Barstow.
Luckily for us we had the Trophy Trucks qualifying at 1:30 pm. A small taste of what is to come this weekend. The race-dezert crew shot pictures and video out on the course so we were not able to hear who qualified in what position but we could tell who looked good. Robby looked fast as always. Jesse James looked very smooth, and Travis Coyne seems to have his truck dialed. We got some good pictures.
Bill McBeth (TT#91) hit a obstacle on the course and ripped out a rear wheel including brake caliber.
Truck Number 16 was driven by Bean for a remarkable 6th place finish.
Adam Householder broke a crankshaft during today’s prerun and it’s unclear if they will be able to attend this weekends race.
The weather was hit and miss all day. One minute it was decent and then it would start raining for about 10 minutes then stop again. This continued throughout the day. Hopefully it rains more tonight and finishes up for the race tomorrow.
1. 77 Robby Gordon, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy CK1500, 6 minutes, 43.72 seconds (64.6 miles per hour)
2. 1 B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 6:56.41
3. 20 Justin Lofton, Westmorland, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 7:03.27
4. 5 Travis Coyne, El Centro, Calif., Ford F-150, 7:03.37
5. 12 Brian Collins, Las Vegas, Dodge Ram1500, 7:04.78
6. 16 Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Rick Geiser, Desert Hills, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 7:05.86
7. 8 Roger Norman, Reno, Nev., Ford F-150, 7:06.45
8. 4 Gus Vildosola Jr. /Gus Vildosola Sr., Ford F-150, 7:06.90
9. 88 Larry Roeseler, Huntington Beach, Calif., Ford F-150, 7:12.66
10. 54 Jesse James, Sunset Beach, Calif., Chevy C1500, 7:21.08
11. 22 Damen Jefferies, Apple Valley, Calif./Luis Ramirez Jr., Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Chevy Silverado, 7:28.08
12. 35 Robbie Pierce/Mike Julson, Santee, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 7:28.24
13. 13 Ed Stout, Santa Ana, Calif./Trigger Gumm, Mission Viejo, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 7:34.70
14. 96 Bobby Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 7:38.52
15. 11 Greg Nunley, Tulare, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 8:04.61
16. 89 Rusty Stevens/Chad Quarrells, Pampa, Texas, Ford F-150, Did Not Finish
17. 91 Bill McBeath, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, DNF
18. 19 Tim Herbst/Ed Herbst, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, Did Not Qualify
19. 44 Robert Ross, Chula Vista, Calif., Ford F-150, DNQ
20. 3 Mark Post, Laguna Beach, Calif./Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, DNQ
21. 51 Kory Sheeler, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, DNQ
22. 24 Adam Householder, Orange, Calif., Chevy Silverado, DNq