Stephane Peterhansel rallies back from a tire puncture and Krzysztof Holowczyc survives a scary rollover; Monster/Husky rider Barreda’s 3rd on the bikes
Iquique, Chile (Jan. 10, 2012) – The 2012 Dakar Rally through South America’s really starting to heat up as American off-road ace Robby Gordon has cut into French great Stephane Peterhansel’s (Monster Energy X-raid MINI ALL4) overall lead in the Dakar by winning today’s stage eight and pulling to within six seconds of 1st place with five stages remaining.
On the bikes Monster Energy Husqvarna Speedbrain’s Joan Barreda has made up a ton of ground, leading Dakar’s motorcycle class points leader Cyril Despres - the guy who will forever be known for leaving Monster Energy’s Paulo Goncalves stuck in the mud after Goncalves helped Despres get his bike out of the mud. Barreda led Despres for a portion of the race before settling on 3rd in the stage.
Back in the cars Gordon caught a break today when Peterhansel suffered yet another tire puncture. “We were power sliding and I saw the stone before we hit it,” he said. “I hoped we would be able to avoid it but fractions of a second later there was a BANG!”
Also making Tuesday’s stage nine podium was Monster Energy’s Nani Roma. The Spanish great, who won yesterday’s stage eight, battled Gordon early in the race – then got caught up in the American’s dust trail. “We were driving right into the wind and the dust cloud was enormous,” said Roma. “The situation cost us several minutes.”
By far the scariest occurrence on Tuesday occurred when Monster Energy X-raid MINI ALL4’s Krzysztof Holowczyc (Poland) and co-driver Jean-Marc Fortin rolled onto their roof after missing a turn on a crossing. Fortunately they got the car back on all four tires and continued the race, only breaking one of the mirrors and cracking the windshield.
- Dakar race organizers were scrambling on Wednesday to circumnavigate a couple problems caused by heavy rains and construction. Splitting the stages, the last of which was somewhat rocky, was fine with Peterhansel. “Driving today was nicer,” he said. “The first part of the second section was particularly technical – it definitely was big fun.”
- Joan Barreda was in 32nd place after stage five on the bikes. With two podium finishes he’s back on the cusp of the top 15 (16th) with five stages remaining.
- Monster Energy Husqvarna Speedbrain’s Paulo Goncalves has also moved up in the standings, from 5th to 4th, about 26 seconds off the overall motorcycle class podium.
Upcoming: Wednesday’s stage ten of the 2012 Dakar runs from Iquique to Arica, Chile. The stage will feature a great deal of sand and dunes near the beginning of the special stage.
Monster Energy/Dakar Rally Results – After stage nine
1. R. Gordon (USA) / J. Campell (USA) Hummer – 4h 35m 21s
2. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 36m 59s
3. N. Roma (ESP) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 43m 58s
4. K. Holowczyc (POL) / J.-M. Fortin (BEL) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 46m 00s
5. R.L. Dos Santos (POR) / P. Fiuza (POR) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 50m 44s
9. L. Novitskiy (RUS) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 58m 46s
1. S. Peterhansel (FRA) / J.-P. Cottret (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 24h 41m 14s
2. R. Gordon (USA) / J. Campell (USA) Hummer – 24h 47m 12s
2. K. Holowczyc (POL) / J.-M. Fortin (BEL) MINI ALL4 Racing – 24h 58m 03s
4. N. Roma (ESP) / M. Périn (FRA) MINI ALL4 Racing – 25h 00m 40s
6. Novitskiy (RUS) / A. Schulz (GER) MINI ALL4 Racing – 26h 10m 34s
12. R.D. Dos Santos (POR) / P. Fiuza (POR) MINI ALL4 Racing – 28h 38m 54s
1. Cyril Despres (FRA) KTM, 5:04:33 hrs
2. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 3:54 min behind
3. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 8:28
4. Helder Rodrigues (POR) Yamaha, 11:44
5. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain,
15:12 20. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 40:07
23. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 42:49
1. Despres, 28:30:17 hrs
2. Coma, 2:28 min behind
3. Rodrigues, 59:19
4. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 1:25:57
16. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 3:33:06
21. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:09:14
23. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA), Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:32:00
Monster Energy supports the scene. Be it Dakar Rally, FMX, motocross, road racing, skate, surf, mountain, on the road with Warped Tour, the DUB Show, Ozzfest … or just kickin’ it local with the bros … wherever the action’s going off you’re sure to find the M-claw logo. Monster Import, Import Light and DUB join all the types – Original Monster Energy, Lo-Carb Monster, Monster Assault, Monster’s fruit juice hybrids dubbed Monster Khaos, Monster M-80 and Monster MIXXD, the ground-breaking Java Monster and X-Presso Monster premium coffee & cream drink line supercharged with Monster Energy’s blend, 3 oz. Monster Hitman Energy and the new Monster Energy “Rehab,” combining ice tea and lemonade with Monster Energy OG. Our teams at the Dakar Rally are diggin’ ‘em – so will you. On the ‘Net at www.monsterenergy.com