We are finally back to racing in Baja after a 6 month delay due to the C-19 pandemic. The CODE series out of Mexicali put on their race in Tecate last week with great success which was a good sign for SCORE to be able to put on the Baja 500 this week.
Qualifying for the BFGoodrich Tires 52nd SCORE Baja 500 presented by 4 Wheel Parts was held Wednesday morning in San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico. Trophy Truck, Class 1 and the TT Spec class qualified on a 3.47 mile course south of downtown San Felipe.
Robby Gordon took the top spot with a time of 3:57.229 followed by Luke McMillin in second, 4:00.937 and Justin Lofton in third, 4:05.489.
Round 1 of the 2 race SCORE series kicks off this Saturday morning on a 493 mile race course with the motos and quads starting at 3am and the cars, trucks and UTV’s starting at 7am. Check back here on RDC for the live video feed, tracking map and race updates.
Click here to join in on the Baja 500 discussion in the RDC forum.
Click here to watch Dan and Luke McMillin’s qualifying and prerun videos.
SCORE TROPHY TRUCK:
TOP QUALIFIER: 77 Robby Gordon, 51, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy Silverado (Custom), three minutes, 57.229 seconds (51.65 miles per hour)
2. 83 Luke McMillin, 27, San Diego, Ford F-150 (Racer), 4:00.937 (51.00mph)
3. 41 Justin Lofton, 34, Brawley, Calif., Ford Raptor (Jimco), 4:05.489 (49.95mph)
4. 23 Dan McMillin, 32, San Diego/Justin B. Smith, 36, Las Vegas, Chevy C1500 (Mason), 4:07.364 (49.56mph)
5. 38 Eric Hustead, 49, St. George, Utah, Ford F-150, 4:07.747 (49.56mph)
6. 10 Alan Ampudia, 29, Ensenada, Mexico/Aaron Ampudia, 27, Ensenada, Mexico, Ford Raptor (ID), 4:12.899 (48.57mph)
7.19 Pat Dean, Las Vegas (DOR-Tim Herbst, 57, Las Vegas/), Ford F-150 (Herbst-Smith), 4:17.030 (47.63mph)
8. 17 Josh De Jong, 31, San Jacinto, Calif./Louis Zavas, 35, Hemet, Calif., Chevy Silverado (Zavas Eng.), 4:24.133 (46.36mph)
9.43 Larry Roeseler, 63, Boulevard, Calif., Toyota Tundra (ID), 4:24.482 (46.36mph)
10. 35 Carlos Perununiri Ibarra, 39, Canada/J. Ivan Sanchez, La Paz, Mexico, Chevy C1500 (Custom), DNQ
11. 40 Christian Sourapas, 24, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. (DOR-Chris Miller, 46, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.), Chevy Silverado (Mason), DNQ
11 Rob MacCachren, 55, Las Vegas, Ford F-150 (Geiser), DNQ
TOP QUALIFIER: 123 Broc Dickerson, 19, Brawley, Calif., Jimco-Ford, 4 minutes, 22.020 seconds (46.72 miles per hour)
2. 127 Cody Parkhouse, 33, Long Beach, Calif., Jimco-Chevy, 4:23.21 (46.54mph)
3. 163 Rubben Torres, 22, San Luis Potosi, Mexico, Alumi Craft-Chevy, 4:34.572 (44.67mph)
4. 103 Gabriel Torres, 27, San Luis Potosi, Mexico Alumi Craft- Chevy, 4:40.245 (43.71mph)
5. 114 Al Torres, 35, Imperial Valley, Calif./Alfredo Torres, 54, Calexico, Calif./Alberto Sornia, 26, El Centro, Calif./Rogelio Ruiz, 49, Mexicali, Mexico, Jimco-Chevy, DNQ
6. 121 Rodimiro Amaya, 29, Constitucion, Mexico/Damen Jefferies, 48, Apple Valley, Calif., Jefferies-Chevy, DNQ
162 Brendan Gaughan, 45, Las Vegas/Buddy Feldkamp, 42, Redlands, Calif./ Mike Montes, 52, Las Vegas/Billy Goerke, 46, Las Vegas, HMS-Chevy, DNQ
179 Mario Fuentes, 49, El Paso, Texas/Armandino Fierro, 47/Robbie Pierce, 60, Alpine, Calif., Jimco-Chevy, DNQ
TROPHY TRUCK SPEC:
TOP QUALIFIER: 285 Clay Lawrence, 58, Banning, Calif., LMS-Chevy, 4:22.674 (46.72mph)
2. 211 Jim Wilson, 22, Boulder City, Nev. (DOR-Pat Sims, 53, Eunice, N.M.), ESM-Chevy, 4:39.303 (43.87mph)
3. 294 Vincent Munoz, 33, Yucaipa, Calif./Roy Tompkins, 34, Redlands, Calif., ODR-Chevy, 4:40.310 (43.71mph)
4. 264 Ryan Millen, 36, Huntington Beach, Calif. (New Zealand) (DOR-Pierce Herbst, 18, Las Vegas/Thor Herbst, 20, Las Vegas, Herbst/Smith-Chevy, 4:47.865 (42.65mph)
5. 260 Santiago Creel, 34, Mexico City, Mexico, Jefferies-Chevy, 5:00.785 (40.80mph)
6. 210 Ted Moncure, 51, Austin, Texas, LBR-Chevy, 5:24.439 (37.78mph)
7. 225 John McNeil, 29, Mesa, Ariz./Scott McNeil, 32, Mesa, Ariz., BMS-Chevy, DNQ
8. 241 Chase Laven, 33, Corpus Christi, Texas/Chad Bunch, Corpus Christi, Texas, BajaLite-Chevy, DNQ
9. 274 Elias Hanna, 37, Ensenada, Mexico/Francisco Verdugo, Ensenada, Mexico, CBM-Chevy, DNQ
10. 295 William Hedrick Jr, 24, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico/William Hedrick, 54, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico/German Encinas, 44, Ensenada, Mexico, ID-Chevy, DNQ
ROBBY GORDON, No. 77 (Gordon qualified first.) –That was a fun course, I have to be honest. Very technical, it wasn’t about the big bumps or who was crazy to the big bumps, it was very, very technical. I think it was good for our truck. Obviously, we’ll see what the time is, but I’m glad they did qualifying. Qualifying means a lot. I know it’s a lot of work for the series to do that, but the luck of the draw is just not the right way to go racing, so wherever we’re at, we’re going to be happy with and looking forward to the race.
Photos by GETSOME Photo