Costa Mesa, California (September 17, 2015) – SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS return to the track Sept. 18-21; headlining a full weekend of racing events during the annual Sand Sports Super Show at the OC Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa, Calif.
While the SST trucks will highlight all three days of racing, the newly announced Stadium Side x Side Series Powered by Arctic Cat will make their SST debut. 10 fully prepared race ready Arctic Cat Wildcat’s will allow local Arctic Cat dealers, action sports athletes and celebrities race on a challenging course displaying the rugged versatility of the Wildcat.
Also competing will be a full field of Class 1400 trucks, Trophy Karts, and the ever-famous Crusty Demons Freestyle MX. Gates open at 5 PM Friday and Saturday, 10:30 AM Sunday.
Tickets are $25 per day for adults. Children 12 and under and military with proper ID receive a $10 discount each night. One-day tickets including admission to the Sand Sports Super Show and one-night of racing are $30 and a two-day combination ticket is $55, while a three-day combination ticket is $65. Tickets are available through www.stadiumsupertrucks.com and will be available at the gate the day of the event.
The Sand Sports Super Show SST races will be rounds 13, 14, and 15 in the season-long championship, which has included the trucks racing in front of massive crowds at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide, Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, Grand Prix of Long Beach, Belle Isle Detroit Grand Prix, X Games Austin, and the Indy Toronto. After racing at the OC Fair and Event Center, the TRAXXAS trucks will travel to Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia Oct. 23-25, followed by the first Stadium event since 2013 at the Spotless Stadium Sydney Showgrounds Oct. 31. The Stadium Super Trucks will close their season under the bright lights of Las Vegas in conjunction with the SEMA Show in November.
Among the drivers entered for the SST event include Orange County’s Robby Gordon (SPEED Energy/Toyo Tires/TRAXXAS), X Games Gold Medalist Sheldon Creed (TRAXXAS), and fellow California driver Burt Jenner (Gladiator). Scotty Steele (LIVE/Think Loud Development), PJ Jones (Traxxas) and Augie Lerch making his first ever start will represent Arizona. Pennsylvania’s Bill Hynes (LIVE/UFD) will make his return to the OC Fairgrounds. Rounding out the field will be a pair of Texas driver’s Charles Dorrance and Aaron Kaufman (Toyo Tires) of Gas Monkey Garage fame making his first ever SST start in front of the capacity crowd.
The 36-inch-tall man-made ramps will launch the trucks as much as 20 feet in the air and 150 feet down course. The series features identically prepared trucks made to resemble their scaled-down Traxxas radio-control-car counterparts, and like their Traxxas namesake are designed to take flight. However, unlike RC trucks, they produce 600 horsepower generating speeds upwards of 130 miles per hour and race on DOT approved Toyo Tires.
SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS Fact Sheet
– 2015 is the third season of SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks by TRAXXAS.
– The first SST race was held at University of Phoenix Stadium on April 6, 2013 and was won by off-road racing veteran Rob MacCachren.
– The first event of the 2015 SST season featured three races in Adelaide, Australia with E.J. Viso, Sheldon Creed and Keegan Kincaid taking victories.
– Rounds 4 and 5 of the 2015 season took place at the St. Petersburg Grand Prix in Florida and were won by Sheldon Creed and Burt Jenner.
– Round 6 of 2015 was raced at the Long Beach Grand Prix and won by E.J. Viso
– Round 7 one the first day of the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix was won by Robby Gordon. Round 8 on Saturday was won by E.J. Viso, while Burt Jenner won the final round and was crowned the overall weekend champion.
– The SST by Traxxas series will race with the Verizon IndyCar series four times in 2015 – the St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Belle Isle Detroit and Toronto Grand Prixs.
– The SST by Traxxas series also races at venues including sites along the Las Vegas Strip, in stadiums and at purpose-built courses held in conjunction with large festival-style activities.
– The Stadium Super Trucks raced in Barbados in December 2014 as part of the International Race of Champions.
– The Stadium Super Trucks made their X Games debut with overwhelming popularity in 2014 and were featured live on ESPN and ABC.
– Sheldon Creed won Gold at X Games Austin in Round 10 on June 7, 2015
– Scotty Steele captured his first SST victory in Round 11 at the Indy Toronto
-Keegan Kincaid earned his third victory of the season in Round 12 in Toronto
– The SSTs are identically prepared 600 horsepower purpose-built race vehicles, modeled after their Traxxas radio control namesake.
– At every SST event, fans can test and purchase Traxxas RC cars and trucks at the Traxxas display. At Belle Isle the Traxxas display and “Try Me Track” is located in the paddock which like the SST paddock is open to general admission ticket holders.
– Every SST truck competes on unmodified DOT-approved Toyo Tires. A fan can purchase the same Toyo A/T Open Country 35×12.5xR17 tires for their truck or SUV.
– Various SST by Traxxas videos, which have generated more than 10 million views since Dec. 1, 2014, can be seen at www.facebook.com/stadiumsupertrucks.
2015 SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Presented by TRAXXAS
2015 Season Winners
Round No. Race Location Race Date Winner
1 Adelaide, Australia Feb. 27, 2015 E.J. Viso
2 Adelaide, Australia Feb. 28, 2015 Sheldon Creed
3 Adelaide, Australia March 1, 2015 Keegan Kincaid
4 St. Petersburg, Fla. March 28, 2015 Sheldon Creed
5 St. Petersburg, Fla. March 29, 2015 Burt Jenner
6 Long Beach, Calif. April 19, 2015 E.J. Viso
7 Detroit, Mich. May 29, 2015 Robby Gordon
8 Detroit, Mich. May 30, 2015 E.J. Viso
9 Detroit, Mich. May 31, 2015 Burt Jenner
10 Austin, Texas June 7, 2015 Sheldon Creed
11 Toronto, Ont., Canada June 13, 2015 Scotty Steele
12 Toronto, Ont., Canada June 14, 2015 Keegan Kincaid
About SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by Traxxas
Influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where drivers such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start, Gordon created SST in response to the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks and off-road racing. His plan to re-launch the former stadium series has led to exciting racing on both asphalt and dirt, while producing one of the most extreme forms of action sports today.
Other than the trucks launching 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet, what sets the SST program apart from other series is the fact that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Race winners are decided by driver skill rather than individual team engineering and budgets. Drivers and their personal mechanics are assigned specific SST mechanics who together tune and make minor adjustments to the 600-horsepower trucks.
Media Contact: Chris Hecht
SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Presented by Traxxas