1982 Mint 400 results

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Off topic, but that Mega Force buggy on the bottom of the magazine cover (above) still sits in front of the Army surplus store on PCH in west Newport.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Interesting thing- There was also one of those buggies sitting in a yard in Cabazon about 15 years ago. I tried to buy it, but the guy could never make up his mind with what he wanted to do with it. I wanted to turn it into a 9 car and race it with that body. About 3 years later, the buggy and a bunch of other interesting junk the guy had moved. The one on PCH has been there forever. Wonder how much actual steel is still living under that fiberglass in that salt air?

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Interesting thing- There was also one of those buggies sitting in a yard in Cabazon about 15 years ago. I tried to buy it, but the guy could never make up his mind with what he wanted to do with it. I wanted to turn it into a 9 car and race it with that body. About 3 years later, the buggy and a bunch of other interesting junk the guy had moved. The one on PCH has been there forever. Wonder how much actual steel is still living under that fiberglass in that salt air?

I was there last year and actually crawled under it to check it out. The frame is melting into the asphalt, no way it could be ever driven again in the desert as the rust is taking its tool. The body on the other hand has held up well. Would love to restore one and race it at NORRA.

harleys dad

Reaction
I remember that, there were a few of them, where did this one find the light of day??

Bro_Gill

Reaction
There were like, 23 or something like that, but only 2 or 3 were built to jump and run hard on rough terrain. The others were basically stock swingaxle cars used to make the assault scenes look great.