803 Solo Motorsports/ El Corralito F 150

BajaJT

Reaction
803 Vintage Open Truck w/ Leaf Springs

The history of this truck is a bit vague, but we think that Ford commissioned Bill Strope to build it and two others for the 79 Baja 1000 ( these were 'stock' trucks,Chevy had two 'stock' trucks and Walker built 3 Dodge Little Red wagons, which I was lucky enough to drive one with Bryan Fransworth) this was a run to La Paz.
Truck then went to Bill Holmes who race Class 8 and West Coast Rally's,truck then went to Herzog family in SD, they raced Class 8 with it, some how it got to Matt Pike and I believe he used it for a pre-runner, finally we bought it from a fellow in New Mexico sight unseen.

We raced the same class last year, I made some bone head moves and we finished 122 over all and last in our class, this year Solo Motorsports headed up by Mike Tuba striped her down to the frame, added King shock, some new PRP seats ( ones we used last year were 30 years old and not wide enough for my fat ass) put it back together and took it to Barstow to test two weeks before the race, of course the motor was sick, so back to the shop for a spare bullet, got that in the Friday as they were to leave for Ensenada, I think Tuba was riding on the trailer all the way down to do the last minute crap,

Race Report

Drivers Navigators
John Townsend Jim Townsend
Bobby Quarnstrom Eduardo Escobedo
Mike Tuba Justin Barnes

Truck handled great, never skiped a beat in the stages (well Bobby's 3 flats, LOL) had more power than I knew what to do with, next year with a bit more seat time and shock testing it will be even better.

I don't think many teams can say they made this run with out some problems, we certainly did not, among other things we had 3 flat tires, 2 at one time (of course we only carry one spare) alternator problems for most of the time, bought 3 new batteries and charged the old ones in the hotel rooms, put a new alternator on it in La Paz, which promptly blew up at the starting line, but our motto was just keep pushing forward and we did, got a 9 minute late start penalty and that was it, just push forward.

Could have not done this with out our team:
Bobby
Carl
Jim
Justin
Mike
Eduardo
Larry
Chuy
Ramon
Pabelo

803 won by a bit over 1 1/2 hours, great time was had by all!

PS if I can figure out how to post a few pictures I will

TRichards

Reaction
So that truck is 4x4? I thought there was a separate class for rear leaf 4x4 vs. the VOTRL.

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
There were actually only 2 trucks built for the Baja 79 1000. One was driven by Stan Gilbert and the other was driven by Carl Jackson. The only modifications allowed by Ford for the race were the roll cage and push bar (we also may have changed some springs...) We even had to run the stock bench seat, so Stroppe had it sent out and beefed up with some internal bolsters in the seat cushion to keep the guys in the seat...Bill was a MASTER at the subtle details !!

Chubs

Reaction
Sweeeet little F-150! But maybe it was built for the 1989 1000?

BajaJT

Reaction
Sorry i thought there were three trucks, we are not sure if this one of them or not, as i said a little vague as to it's back ground, been around a long time, got a few pictures from Track side, one is on the on our Norra entry,

John Gable's name with Bill Holmes was on one of them.

toddz

Reaction
Sweeeet little F-150! But maybe it was built for the 1989 1000?
It was the '79 race - timed to coincide with the introduction of the new body style and the TTB front ends. This truck has obviously had the front glass updated at some point but the cab is still the '80-'86 style.

Todd Z.

toddz

Reaction
Thanks for your report! Enjoyed racing with you guys this year and glad to see the truck out and being used - it's sat for too many years! And happy that you had a fellow EB guy (Justin) on your team!

Todd Z.

BajaJT

Reaction
Todd Z.
Thanks this year from last it is night and day, really fun to drive, the more look I really believe it was on of the two trucks that Strope built, so she has a lot of miles on her, she is in Ensenada getting clean up and giving back the motor we borrowed.
BTW any suggestions for a big block Ford motor builder we would appreciate them.
Lastly i really like the photo driving by the Mission!

JT

toddz

Reaction
I just looked at the 79 1000 photos and those two trucks were both 2WD so I guess yours had 4WD added at some point?

Todd Z.

jeff

Reaction
@toddz The 4x4 was just added for this years NORRA along with modern (larger) shocks. The truck was run as a 2wd in the 2017 NORRA and on 35" tires with a less powerful motor package it struggled to make it through some of the deeper sections.

Aloha

swu chase1

Reaction
JT there will be a old RED friend of yours race next years Norra. You had a great Ride built in that little beauty.

toddz

Reaction
@toddz The 4x4 was just added for this years NORRA along with modern (larger) shocks. The truck was run as a 2wd in the 2017 NORRA and on 35" tires with a less powerful motor package it struggled to make it through some of the deeper sections.

Aloha
Aha! I guess I wasn't paying attention or I would have realized that.

Todd Z.