A High Schooler’s Prerunner Build

Bobby Rice

Reaction
Hey how’s it going guys!
Figured I’d make my first post about what my build is and what plans I have for it

Starting from a bone stock 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L, I’ve learned a ton through these forums on here and being that annoying kid in your insta DMs HAHA

B0974183-AD9D-444A-84B6-135FEB0E2B61.jpeg

The main stuff I’ve done to it started with fixing mechanical problems. I wanted to just have a simple prerunner with a camburg 5.5 kit and deavers hoping to somehow get 35s to work... aaaaand as I’m pretty sure all of you have been through, the build escalated to something I never thought possible.
F947A48E-AAB3-481F-A303-4AEEB1F79D1F.png
6394B71F-86DF-4C29-BF29-BA601D33A524.jpeg

so I’m running BTF’s previous gen XLT race kit pulling 15” of travel with 2.5x8” FOAs just to get the truck rolling. Don’t worry, kings are on order for front and rear (I’ll get to the rear in a lil but ;)). Took the truck over to the Baker boys and they did a phenominal job installing the front kit! Great guys btw
71323CC5-590C-427E-BB08-D528B483FD36.jpeg
EDF17299-0A93-4DAC-8EA7-7C0989E2FC93.jpeg

Some random things on the truck are 4” hannemann fiberglass all the way around, old school PRP low back bucket seats, assault steering wheel and sweet mfg quick release hub, black widow angry housewife and 35x12.50r15 falken AT/3s wrapped around 15x8” ultra x103 machined beadlocks.
ADF5FF97-1BB3-4715-903B-3B66257A6DD1.jpeg
1A9BE770-9F54-48F7-ABB9-AFD2DBA0BA15.png
8FEE01B7-5039-4023-83E7-F89E0641C8E7.jpeg
C82050ED-1968-4271-B6F6-F5C51B2C595B.jpeg
5DCECEC1-94DC-477C-BC38-8C0D37F89879.jpeg

So my plans for rear suspension are coming up soon! I was originally going to do a cantilever short course 3 link with BTF fab but recently decided to build something similar to the giant daily driver link kit. So it will be a 3 link, keeping stock gas tank for smog with a panhard bar running 14” coilover and a 16” bypass (when I can afford the extra shocks lol).
I’m super excited for how this build is going to turn out! Saving for this build has taught me a ton of life lessons like staying motivated and being patient haha. Although I’m no longer active on social media, you can check out the build on my Instagram @bobbydrice

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
Awesome start - it looks like you've got the right idea keeping the smog legit. My thoughts: retain as much of the stock comforts as possible when you start doing cab and rear work. It can be tempting to tear out things like AC/Heat or going full bed cage but in my opinion the best prerunners are ones that still have utility and comfort.

Some examples, making space in the center of the bed cage for a dirtbike or general pickup truck utility use, keeping the cab insulation, keeping the stock dash, seat belts (with 5 points also available for off-roading as you've done) and for myself I'd even go for reclining bucket seats rather than fixed buckets. This type of stuff will add a lot of resale value in the end if a potential buyer can justify it as a DD rather than a full on prerunner/1450.

Driving a race vehicle/serious prerunner daily sounds like fun in theory, but anyone who has been there knows it gets old very quickly.

JDDurfey

Reaction
...And unless you can afford a second vehicle, plan on finding a girlfriend with a car you don't mind riding in and having her drive to date nights...

Bobby Rice

Reaction
Awesome start - it looks like you've got the right idea keeping the smog legit. My thoughts: retain as much of the stock comforts as possible when you start doing cab and rear work. It can be tempting to tear out things like AC/Heat or going full bed cage but in my opinion the best prerunners are ones that still have utility and comfort.

Some examples, making space in the center of the bed cage for a dirtbike or general pickup truck utility use, keeping the cab insulation, keeping the stock dash, seat belts (with 5 points also available for off-roading as you've done) and for myself I'd even go for reclining bucket seats rather than fixed buckets. This type of stuff will add a lot of resale value in the end if a potential buyer can justify it as a DD rather than a full on prerunner/1450.

Driving a race vehicle/serious prerunner daily sounds like fun in theory, but anyone who has been there knows it gets old very quickly.
Absolutely I 100% agree!! Purposely limited travel in the front to keep HVAC and I do still have stock seat belts. I’ve talked to Brandon at BTF about this for dayssss and he’s an amazing influence on my build.

I also use the truck as a daily AND I clean pool filters out of it. Trying to keep everything tight and clean while also making it a practical truck. I’m very lucky that my interior was taken care of and everything dash wise is in good shape. It’s super easy just to back half the truck but I really enjoyed having AC in Barstow when it was 101° haha!
Not planning to race the truck, I really just want to have fun with my buddies. I’d honestly like to keep this truck till my death.

thanks for the advice man!

Bobby Rice

Reaction
...And unless you can afford a second vehicle, plan on finding a girlfriend with a car you don't mind riding in and having her drive to date nights...
jajaja if she doesn’t respect the PreRunner, it’s a no deal! There’s a pretty hot jeep chick I’m talking to ;)

honestly girls are money and right now I’m focused on the truck. As much as I’d love to have a chick, it’s just not the right time for me

Big Hoss

Reaction
How's the engine, it ever feeling a little weak? ;) Any plans for doing an engine swap and love the look of the truck man👍

Bobby Rice

Reaction
How's the engine, it ever feeling a little weak? ;) Any plans for doing an engine swap and love the look of the truck man👍
Funny enough, the engine runs strong! I have an engine tick that I can’t seem to figure out but it hasn’t caused any harm and has been there for over 5 years so I just got a louder exhaust to cover it up lol.

In all honesty though I would love to swap something in down the line. But I like the idea of having something that doesn’t have a lot of power to teach me how to drive and keep momentum up. Just like learning to ride a dirt bike.