Chase Trucks- Ideas, Must Haves, Photos

Mxrider99

Time for a new thread in the big forum with the most eyes. Since the loss of photo bucket recently, the old threads seem to have nothing but dead links.

Lets post some photos of chase trucks, Good ideas, and tricks of the trade so to speak. Cruising the pits at the races you see some really cool setups. From full on utility beds decked out for chasing only, to peoples daily drivers they build bed setups for chasing with on race weekends. I'm currently starting a chase setup for my truck that will be able to be taken in and out for races as needed, and looking for good ideas. Also curious, What fiberglass radio poles are people having luck with? Or what collapsible masts?

I've also seen some really cool things you'd never notice unless pointed out, People running two speakers off their race radios with a switch to go from inside the cab to outside. Two antennas with a switch for using the extending mast or roof mounted antenna.

How about modifying relatively cheap harbor freight aluminum jacks(70$) with off road tires instead of the couple hundred dollar pro eagles?

I'll start the thread off with some photos I've collected of neat setups over the last few months researching.

9rocky

Here is our finished gooseneck bed truck.

New chase 1.jpg

turbodon

truck img.jpeg

Question for the chase truck guys... Having a hard time getting my truck insured. Most carriers are wanting me to get an expensive commercial policy on it. I work for a company and don't use the truck for anything other than grabbing groceries occasionally and hauling the buggy to the desert. Do any of you guys have your chase trucks on your personal Auto policy??

Last edited:

mgobaja

so the one shown being forked into the truck, looks great. Except one possible deisgn change consideration, full dumpcans would suck to have to lift over everything, increasing the odds of them suffering a hard landing and splitting open

Kyle D

View attachment 190822

Question for the chase truck guys... Having a hard time getting my truck insured. Most carriers are wanting me to get an expensive commercial policy on it. I work for a company and don't use the truck for anything other than grabbing groceries occasionally and hauling the buggy to the desert. Do any of you guys have your chase trucks on your personal Auto policy??
There was a thread about that too. I believe Mark Newhan started it.

CMA GUMBY

Don't confuse commercial plates as a commercially operated vehicle. Here is an excerpt from the state of California. Here is the link if you want to read for yourself. Motor Carrier Permit Frequently Asked Questions

Who does not need an MCP?
  • Household goods and/or passenger carriers as defined in Section 5109 of the Public Utilities Code (PUC) (those vehicles operate under Public Utilities Commission authority.)
  • Household goods carriers transporting used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures when operated under a household goods carrier permit issued pursuant to Section 5137 of the PUC.
  • Operators of:
    • Pickup trucks with a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and equipped with a box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, when operated in a non-commercial manner.
    • Vehicles providing transportation of passengers only, a passenger stage corporation transporting baggage and express upon a passenger vehicle incidental to the transportation of passengers.
    • Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds when operated non-commercially.
    • Vehicles which are exempt from vehicle registration fees.
    • Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 16,001 pounds, operated singly in non-commercial use. (This provision is valid only through December 31, 2015).
    • Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated singly, or when used to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially. (This provision becomes operative on January 1, 2016.)
View attachment 190822

Good info from IRONGOOK

shrive81

Here is mine. In cab radio while driving, and radio in the back compartment with standard antenna and 20ft tower antenna just flip the selector switch for what antenna you want to use. Pole antenna is on a swivel so you can extend it flat then just push it up and secure take 2 minutes to put up
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_2153.jpg
IMG_1857.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg
IMG_1858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

MasTacos

Here is mine. In cab radio while driving, and radio in the back compartment with standard antenna and 20ft tower antenna just flip the selector switch for what antenna you want to use. Pole antenna is on a swivel so you can extend it flat then just push it up and secure take 2 minutes to put up View attachment 190846
I like how you mounted the street light.

Mxrider99

Here is mine. In cab radio while driving, and radio in the back compartment with standard antenna and 20ft tower antenna just flip the selector switch for what antenna you want to use. Pole antenna is on a swivel so you can extend it flat then just push it up and secure take 2 minutes to put up

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

What antenna mast are you using? setup is so nice!

OFFRD-JNKIE

I took pics of this rig in Guerrero Negro at the BK1 last year love. I believe it belongs to Team C racing thought it was an awesome set up!
IMG_20171116_085937081_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171116_090127815_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171116_090103126_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

Agree with above. I have been thinking about a Pit Trailer for a long time. No need to tie up a vehicle with insurance, engine upkeep, etc... And you don't have to unload it between races if it is your daily or weekend user either.

mattb

I think that if I did a pit trailer, I’d want some sort of secure modular siding that could be folded up, providing security and weather protection. (Like a Dakar support truck)

C4

Time for a new thread in the big forum with the most eyes. Since the loss of photo bucket recently, the old threads seem to have nothing but dead links.

How about modifying relatively cheap harbor freight aluminum jacks(70$) with off road tires instead of the couple hundred dollar pro eagles?

Not to hijack your thread but why on earth would you support HF when they don't support you? Second, why would you purchase a $70 jack that won't lift your chase truck you are mounting it on? Third, if you bought a HF jack that will support the chase truck AND race car then you'll end up spending more in modifications then you would if you just bought a Pro Eagle. Not to mention the warranty you had to pay extra for would then be voided by your modifications.
I work pretty damn hard to build a product that the off road community can find useful and alleviates headaches or the need for "more modifications" after your purchase. While there are certainly other options out there it really is silly to spend so much time and money on a race team and support vehicles and then outfit them with inferior products from a company that doesn't give a damn about you or what you do.