• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 5 only

bajabird

Raves, rants, banter, photos, upcoming race chit chat

bajabird

I think if Scott wants to get his car together.

The 5/16 is a mess after the last 4 races without prep. It's in the shop now for a full rebuild. Not sure when it will be ready.

Zac Reish

Not really sure if you want an opinion catagory but it would be beneficial and good competition if class 5 open cars raced against class 3000 cars. Class 5 is the coolest class by far in my opinion but there needs to be some changes made to bring back the competition to the class. These 2 classes are both very close in speed, and the competition and rivalry between the 2 classes could be very excititing. I've talked about this before on a thread and at this point class 3000 racers dont want to race heads up against 5 unlimited big t4 engine race cars. I'm nobody between either class but if I was I would re evaluate the decision. I have a 5 open type car with an ecotec, and would love to be racing against 5 open and 3000just for the reason of having alot of race cars to compete against. Ive talked to a few 5 open racers and they were totally open to racing against cl 3000 when I brought this up but I'm sure there are 5 open racers who arent. i'd just be tired of racing 4 to 6 racers on a regualar basis if i were 5 open.

bajabird

What's up with that Steve? What was the problem?

I've got (ooops left it with you) a long rope. I'll pull you around the next course. just kidding

Baja Jim

Class 5's are sooooo cool to drive and they get lots of looks! Tom you missed to boat on one bad black 5 car! Having sellers remorse right now. Now that I am moving out of Class 5 I still believe that 5's and 3000's should race together. Let each class keep their points, but race together for bragging rights and get more competition. I truly believe that they are equally matched and neither has a major competitive advantage.

Power Monkey

I vote that 5U should stay pure. I can't see how anyone can say a Short wheel base beam car and and A arm car are equal. I'm still new at this, but I don't get it.?

Bryan J

I vote that 5U should stay pure. I can't see how anyone can say a Short wheel base beam car and and A arm car are equal. I'm still new at this, but I don't get it.?
lap times are relatively equal. I imagine that the advantage gained from a-arm in 3000 is lost from the T4 motors that the 5 cars run.

Baja Jim

1st don't get me wrong! I am firm believer that all beam cars should remain air cooled Period!
The equal racing is this.
1. Same wheelbase for 5 and 3000
2. 5 has more HP to offset 3000 suspension
3. Top end close to equal
4. Race together for competition not points

We have beat 3000 in our car almost every time but very very close

Bryan J

If T4s were an advantage, everyone in Class 10 would run them. Correct?
no because they are very expensive to keep up. with the eco-tech revolution cost effectiveness is now the plan for class 10 teams. and the high money Hondas and Toyotas would beat a T4 more times than not

Bryan J

1st don't get me wrong! I am firm believer that all beam cars should remain air cooled Period!
The equal racing is this.
1. Same wheelbase for 5 and 3000
2. 5 has more HP to offset 3000 suspension
3. Top end close to equal
4. Race together for competition not points

We have beat 3000 in our car almost every time but very very close
that was kind of my point. Sorry to see you out of 5U, your car was the cream of the crop. hope it went to a good home

Baja Jim

no because they are very expensive to keep up. with the eco-tech revolution cost effectiveness is now the plan for class 10 teams. and the high money Hondas and Toyotas would beat a T4 more times than not
If I could run type 4 in class 10 I would take it over Eco-tech all day. The reason they are not in 10 is you are limited to 2 liter air cooled. Give me a big type 4 and it would kill and be cheap to run

12LaPaz

Leave Class 5 alone... It kills me every time I hear guys wanting to combine DIFFERENT classes together... and there is never a good reason to do it..... You may not know it but ALL classes run for overall finishing order, so one of you might finish 40th over all and the other guy finishes 45th overall..... you already have your wish.... your racing your class 3000 against his class 5 for time but not points or money....

Personly I would like to see 1/600 combined with TT, but to make it fair the TT has to run a single port 1600 and the 1600 car gets the aluminum V8

Over the years classes evolve... and classes that seem to be able to run together now might not be able to in years to come, Hence: different classes.............. & remember also as time passes different drivers come into and leave the sport or change classes, and the class times have always depended more on the driver then the cars, no offence but this is not the hayday of class 5, it was years ago when the names included the klawitters, Razzo, Vinje, Jordan, Cocores, Parsons, and even pistol pete, Im sure I left a few others out but somehow Im sure you will remind me.... So leave class 5 alone, it is not the same as classs 3000 or ANY other class and never will be.

Bryan J

If I could run type 4 in class 10 I would take it over Eco-tech all day. The reason they are not in 10 is you are limited to 2 liter air cooled. Give me a big type 4 and it would kill and be cheap to run
ahhh i stand corrected. thank you

Zac Reish

and there is never a good reason to do it.....

What is the whole point of racing?
If i'm not mistaken it is to compete, and to be rewarded for competing.
If there are low car counts you are only competing by the time a race is over with yourself.
If there are low car counts you are not going to get any reward for all the hardwork and money you just put up to race; against 2 or 3 other guys

Picture it:
Old school technology against new school technology.

Nothing changes on the 5 open, nothing changes on the 3000 cars, except the competition gets way more intense and the prize money doubles. WIN WIN.
Am I missing anything?

Baja Jim

I get keeping classes separate, my issue that when 2 classes are equal and 1 class starts 5 classes ahead of another class that's wrong! BITD, MORE etc have had 5's start way behind 3000. We just want to start farther forward to race against car that are similar. Having to fight your way through slower cars is not fun! Give 5's some credit