Getting into ATV racing

Tornavacca

RDC Crypto
I am 17 and I want to get into desert racing I have thought about doing ATV desert racing I don't have a lot of money and I don't know where to start what would be the best way to start?

Charlietuna

RDC Crypto
Where do you live? If in the SoCal area, look at AMA D37 (High Desert area) or D38 (Imperial County) races. Lack of money is a bummer for sure, but as long as you keep up on the maintenance and prep, it's not a deal breaker.

Next D38 race is December 11 at Superstition. And, they will have an informational booth set up this weekend at Vey's in El Cajon from 9AM -1PM.

If you're outside SoCal, look up whatever AMA district you're in and check them out.

Advertising supports this site

Charlietuna

RDC Crypto
About how much does ATV racing cost?
There's a thousand different variables. But, like anything racing related, it costs everything you have and probably a bit more. That may be a bit harsh, but if you want to actually compete, there's no such thing as budget racing. You can show up with a stone stock ride, pay your entry fee, buy your gas and go for ~$100. And that might work for a race or two, but you're going to wear out/damage a tire or two or four. You're going to wear out a chain and sprockets, you're going to have to do maintenance on the engine, the suspension, the frame, the axle, the hubs, the steering, the everything.

I've seen it said in other threads here at RDC and heard it many times in other places....Take $500 in cash, go out in your backyard, set that money on fire and watch it burn. If you can do that without flinching, you're ready to start thinking about racing.

Charlietuna

RDC Crypto
What races can have a stock ATV in them?

What ATV would be a good platform?
I've seen people race everything from Blaster 200s to Banshees to the latest and greatest KTMs. Really all about personal preference. I would say whatever one you have in your garage is the right one to get started on (unless it's one of the Chinese built junkers, than it would just be an exercise in futility).

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
that dec 11 race is a perfect beginner course, short loops ,timed , not lapps, thats why i might try another d38 race , its cheep& funđź‘Ť( ride red!!, get a Honda

Last edited: