• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lights...

Josh 8

IMG_0407.JPG
Hey guys. I am gearing up for my first B1K this year and I don't have lights on my 8 truck. All I have on it is one cheap led bar down on the bumper as an emergency if for sun goes down. It works well for Norra since I the truck can finish during day light hours. But there is no way it will work for Baja.

So my question is; What the hot set up now for lights? I am ok with Led but I was hoping I could go with six 8" La Paz lights. But they don't appear to made any more. So what do I do? What do I need? In 2016 I had the truck going 125 mph across the dry lagoons south of San Ignacio along the coast. It's stupid fast.

Please help.

Btw, the cheapy light bar is in the pick under the towel.

Last edited:

mgobaja

The LED lights get better on a continual basis. You totally get what you pay for. I started with Rigid, and made the jump to Baja Designs, HUGE difference. But also a big jump in price as well between the two. The cheapy bars do put out a ton of light, but lack the beam / pattern focus for distance. So if saving money is something your have to consider, maybe a few HID spots for distance, and the cheapy LED bars for flood.

Baja Designs website has a great tool for explaining coverage areas and how to lay out lights.

Lighting Zones - Lighting Zones

Lighting Patterns - Lighting Patterns

No I do not work for them, but I am a believer in their product. should you be interested I have two Hella 4000's that have been converted to HID I am selling, PM me and I can send you some photos if your interested.

swiftracing5

I'll never run an HID again after using Baja designs bars the last 2 seasons in Baja. The running amp draw of them is lower than an HID so your alternator in theory can handle more. They will not get taken out by trees, and for a clown like me they're so easy to aim. I'd run one onyx bar on the roof, 2 smaller bars on the bumper with one being amber for dust and fog, then I'd say 2 small stealth model lights aiming out 45 degrees from straight ahead to help you see slow technical corners. To be honest one of those onyx bars is ample light to finish a race with too. Ridiculous light.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Robin Hood

If you wanna save some money...look for some used, like new, Hella HIDs. You can pick them up pretty cheap now days.

Josh 8

The LED lights get better on a continual basis. You totally get what you pay for. I started with Rigid, and made the jump to Baja Designs, HUGE difference. But also a big jump in price as well between the two. The cheapy bars do put out a ton of light, but lack the beam / pattern focus for distance. So if saving money is something your have to consider, maybe a few HID spots for distance, and the cheapy LED bars for flood.

Baja Designs website has a great tool for explaining coverage areas and how to lay out lights.

Lighting Zones - Lighting Zones

Lighting Patterns - Lighting Patterns

No I do not work for them, but I am a believer in their product. should you be interested I have two Hella 4000's that have been converted to HID I am selling, PM me and I can send you some photos if your interested.
I'll never run an HID again after using Baja designs bars the last 2 seasons in Baja. The running amp draw of them is lower than an HID so your alternator in theory can handle more. They will not get taken out by trees, and for a clown like me they're so easy to aim. I'd run one onyx bar on the roof, 2 smaller bars on the bumper with one being amber for dust and fog, then I'd say 2 small stealth model lights aiming out 45 degrees from straight ahead to help you see slow technical corners. To be honest one of those onyx bars is ample light to finish a race with too. Ridiculous light.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Thanks for the info guys. Yea. I was kinda leaning towards one of the good Baja design bars on top right in front of the sun visor. And then a couple of the little lights at 45 deg angels for corners. An leaving the cheap bar on the bumper as a flood driving light. It has a ok width and reaches out about 1000 feet. Plus running hid's conversions in the head lights on high.

Is there going to be a rule about only running dot lights on the high way in a effort not blind head on traffic? My plan is to use the stock head lights.

mgobaja

Is there going to be a rule about only running dot lights on the high way in a effort not blind head on traffic? My plan is to use the stock head lights.[/QUOTE]

I know there was talk of this, but do not know what the final decision was.

Wendell #527

Yea you can't run non-DOT on the highway with SCORE any more and the rebook even says you're supposed to shut off the non-DOT lights at checkpoints. That part will be hard to enforce. Anyway Josh I tried LEDs on my 5 car and didn't like them but I tried them too early on. They weren't good enough yet so I out ran them. The new higher amp LEDs are bitchen. I still run 70w KC HIDs but I will probably go back to LEDs.

redline

BajaDesigns is the only way to go! IMO. We switched to them 2015 and havent looked back. I know it cost more money but I wouldn't keep the cheap bar if you are going to switch the rest out. The contrast of color (or temprature or whatever the hell ya wanna call it) will hurt the quality of light from the whole package. Also once you get a good led you will realize how much the cheaper bar fogs out in the dust.