Oldest to Ironman Baja500 and Baja1000

cynicwanderer

so, who is (and age) the oldest Moto/Quad Ironman to finish the Baja500 or Baja1000 (loop or pensinsula run) ? would have to be actual Ironman class; too easy to say you Ironmanned a team class, since there is no actual penalty for claiming it, if it wasn't so.

cynicwanderer

I don't mind doing the research. does anyone have or know of an archive of race results going back (i'd also need some kind of entry list with ages to correlate if the results don't show the age)...

BajaboundMoto

I believe Ironman started in ‘13. @BajaSeve would know for sure (don’t bother with Google, he’s the Baja Moto Encyclopedia).

I’m talking 1000 here...

Lots of guys solo’d before ‘13, LOTS, and they too deserve to be considered Ironmen (and 1 (?) woman back then, 1 woman last year).

Last edited:

cynicwanderer

I believe Ironman started in ‘13. @BajaSeve would know for sure (don’t bother with Google, he’s the Baja Moto Encyclopedia).

I’m talking 1000 here...

Lots of guys solo’d before ‘13, LOTS, and they too deserve to be considered Ironmen (and 1 (?) woman back then, 1 woman last year).

I’m talking 1000 here...

OK, it makes sense to consider pre-'13 Ironman/women as well, but will be more difficult to figure out from the results, unless they are already on record. I would be happy to go through the archives to find the information. I don't know who BajaSteve is, but I'll contact him for sure.

thanks !

Baja_Seve

Score started Pro Ironman in the 2013 Baja 1000. Couple of years prior to that, you could enter solo in any class and be given a certificate of SOLO completion if you finished a Score race. Like Tim says, a ton of people have entered as Ironman/woman with no "official designation" well before that. Looking at my Ironman results since the 2013 B1K, it looks like Larry Janesky (54) has finished both the 500 and 1000 as the oldest Ironman. He is a motivational speaker from Connecticut, and has 2 sons that have also raced Score. You might also want to check with Dominic at Score, who maintains reams of records like this.

cynicwanderer

Score started Pro Ironman in the 2013 Baja 1000. Couple of years prior to that, you could enter solo in any class and be given a certificate of SOLO completion if you finished a Score race. Like Tim says, a ton of people have entered as Ironman/woman with no "official designation" well before that. Looking at my Ironman results since the 2013 B1K, it looks like Larry Janesky (54) has finished both the 500 and 1000 as the oldest Ironman. He is a motivational speaker from Connecticut, and has 2 sons that have also raced Score. You might also want to check with Dominic at Score, who maintains reams of records like this.
great, thanks for the information.

cynicwanderer

I actually watched Larry start and finish at the 2018 B1000, as well as Liz Karcz, pretty cool.

JDDurfey

I love the idea of "Ironmaning" a race. back in the day there was a guy that did it on a regular basis long before there was an official class. I can't remember his name, but I believe in 98 or 99 he was like 5th overall bike. He was smoking fast and could ride all day. He also ironmanned the 1800 plus mile Baja 2000! I personally witnessed that, as we were having lots of problems and I saw him come through several pits. I was also at the finish line waiting for my bike when he finished. He was so worn out that he couldn't even get off the bike without assistance.

I ran into him later and asked him about the race. He said he only got off his WR 400 a couple of times during the race. The longest was 20 minutes. He just kept moving forward. From what I recall he crashed in a race at Pismo beach a couple of years later and was paralyzed from the waist down.

I was in good enough shape in '06 I could have ridden the whole thing. I rode 530 miles of a peninsula run, after riding a bike from Ensenada to San Felipe on race day. But I am old and fat now.

cynicwanderer

I love the idea of "Ironmaning" a race. back in the day there was a guy that did it on a regular basis long before there was an official class. I can't remember his name, but I believe in 98 or 99 he was like 5th overall bike. He was smoking fast and could ride all day. He also ironmanned the 1800 plus mile Baja 2000! I personally witnessed that, as we were having lots of problems and I saw him come through several pits. I was also at the finish line waiting for my bike when he finished. He was so worn out that he couldn't even get off the bike without assistance.

I ran into him later and asked him about the race. He said he only got off his WR 400 a couple of times during the race. The longest was 20 minutes. He just kept moving forward. From what I recall he crashed in a race at Pismo beach a couple of years later and was paralyzed from the waist down.

I was in good enough shape in '06 I could have ridden the whole thing. I rode 530 miles of a peninsula run, after riding a bike from Ensenada to San Felipe on race day. But I am old and fat now.[/QUO

I was in good enough shape in '06 I could have ridden the whole thing. I rode 530 miles of a peninsula run, after riding a bike from Ensenada to San Felipe on race day. But I am old and fat now.
Was that Jerome Law ?

Silt Sucks

The Iron man class first started on a bet between myself (Terrance Peregoodoff) and Sal Fish for the 2010 race season. After Racing the 2009 baja 1000 I approached him with the idea of him starting an iron man class. His reply to me was who would be crazy enough to to do that for an entire season. I replied to him that I bet if he made the class people would enter and he'd find out! After all what would it cost you? Ad a tick box in your entry form and a crappy trophy!? He still wasn't willing so I told him in 2010 I was going to Solo the 250/ 500/ and 1000 all in the same race season. He said great! IF you can do it we'll call it " The Iron Rider Tripple Crown". As there was no official class I would enter the 40 pro class in a bike. My number was 449X. On all my entry forms i scribbled SOLO across the page!!!! I also put a pitch package together for a documentary that was to be called "that's Baja!" It was going to journal the entire year I was taking out of my life to train in Mexico in order to do what Sal thought nobody would/ could do! I am Canadian and needed to live in Mexico to train as our riding season is stupid short!!!! Any ways to make a long story short I needed to verify that what I was about to do had not yet been done on a bike so i asked Johnny Campbell if he knew of this being done before and he said NO! So I did it!!!! Raced the entire 2010 season SOLO on 449X. At the During pre running for the 1000 I ran into Roger Norman broken down just out of Ojos and we talked about soloing because he was doing it in his trophy truck. (Seed planted). At the awards in La Paz when Sal announced my name to come and get my trophy, (which has the wrong race course inscribed on it!) He told the crowd that he he doesn't know if any one else ever having done this! He then put his hand over the Mike and told me that he would do something very special for me at the year end awards. As not only did I will the races i did it in the pro 40 class and was 3rd in points!!!! A podium, me against the teams, who would have thought?! Fast forward to the awards, before I went up to accept my plaque to 3rd in season points, from Cam Steel MC. I asked Sal what he had planned for me? His reply was a heart breaking " Nothing... I can't see anything in it for me!!!! "

Last edited:

cynicwanderer

The Iron man class first started on a bet between myself (Terrance Peregoodoff) and Sal Fish for the 2010 race season. After Racing the 2009 baja 1000 I approached him with the idea of him starting an iron man class. His reply to me was who would be crazy enough to to do that for an entire season. I replied to him that I bet if he made the class people would enter and he'd find out! After all what would it cost you? Ad a tick box in your entry form and a crappy trophy!? He still wasn't willing so I told him in 2010 I was going to Solo the 250/ 500/ and 1000 all in the same race season. He said great! IF you can do it we'll call it " The Iron Rider Tripple Crown". As there was no official class I would enter the 40 pro class in a bike. My number was 449X. On all my entry forms i scribbled SOLO across the page!!!! I also put a pitch package together for a documentary that was to be called "that's Baja!" It was going to journal the entire year I was taking out of my life to train in Mexico in order to do what Sal thought nobody would/ could do! I am Canadian and needed to live in Mexico to train as our riding season is stupid short!!!! Any ways to make a long story short I needed to verify that what I was about to do had not yet been done on a bike so i asked Johnny Campbell if he knew of this being done before and he said NO! So I did it!!!! Raced the entire 2010 season SOLO on 449X. At the During pre running for the 1000 I ran into Roger Norman broken down just out of Ojos and we talked about soloing because he was doing it in his trophy truck. (Seed planted). At the awards in La Paz when Sal announced my name to come and get my trophy, (which has the wrong race course inscribed on it!) He told the crowd that he he doesn't know if any one else ever having done this! He then put his hand over the Mike and told me that he would do something very special for me at the year end awards. As not only did I will the races i did it in the pro 40 class and was 3rd in points!!!! A podium, me against the teams, who would have thought?! Fast forward to the awards, before I went up to accept my plaque to 3rd in season points, from Cam Steel MC. I asked Sal what he had planned for me? His reply was a heart breaking " Nothing... I can't see anything in it for me!!!! "
wow, what a great story ! thanks for sharing it with us. it puts things in perspective; unfortunately like so many thing in life, it's all about the money and people who chase it. I have learned that the only true rewards are meeting the goals you set for yourself and you certainly did exceed those. screw the rest ;-)

Silt Sucks

The Iron man class first started on a bet between myself (Terrance Peregoodoff) and Sal Fish for the 2010 race season. After Racing the 2009 baja 1000 I approached him with the idea of him starting an iron man class. His reply to me was who would be crazy enough to to do that for an entire season. I replied to him that I bet if he made the class people would enter and he'd find out! After all what would it cost you? Ad a tick box in your entry form and a crappy trophy!? He still wasn't willing so I told him in 2010 I was going to Solo the 250/ 500/ and 1000 all in the same race season. As there was no official class I would enter the 40 pro class in a bike. My number was 449X. On all my entry forms i scribbled SOLO across the page!!!! I also put a pitch package together for a documentary that was to be called "that's Baja!" It was going to journal the entire year I was taking out of my life to train in Mexico in order to do what Sal thought nobody would/ could do! I am Canadian and needed to live in Mexico to train as our riding season is stupid short!!!! Any ways to make a long story short I needed to verify that what I was about to do had not yet been done on a bike so i asked Johnny Campbell if he knew of this being done before and he said NO! So I did it!!!! Raced the entire 2010 season SOLO on 449X. At the During pre running for the 1000 I ran into Roger Norman broken down just out of Ojos and we talked about soloing because he was doing it in his trophy truck. (Seed planted). At the awards in La Paz when Sal announced my name to come and get my trophy, (which has the wrong race course inscribed on it!) He told the crowd that he he doesn't know if any one else ever having done this! He then put his hand over the Mike and told me that he would do something very special for me at the year end awards. As not only did I will the races i did it in the pro 40 class and was 3rd in points!!!! A podium, me against the teams, who would have thought?! Fast forward to the awards, before I went up to accept my plaque to 3rd in season points, from Cam Steel MC. I asked Sal what he had planned for me? His reply was a heart breaking " Nothing... I can't see anything in it for me!!!! "
wow, what a great story ! thanks for sharing it with us. it puts things in perspective; unfortunately like so many thing in life, it's all about the money and people who chase it. I have learned that the only true rewards are meeting the goals you set for yourself and you certainly did exceed those. screw the rest ;-)
Thank you, that was exactly the whole point!

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Ken "The Baja Turtle" Kosiorek RIP used to ride his bike from SD to the start and ironman the 500 and 1000 if i remember correctly.

Silt Sucks

Ken "The Baja Turtle" Kosiorek RIP used to ride his bike from SD to the start and ironman the 500 and 1000 if i remember correctly.
Ken was AWESOME!!! I pre ran with him a bit and he was always so chill. I'm not sure on the frequency of him doing the 500, but he would attempt the 1000 nearly EVERY year!!! Some times make it, some times not. Didn't matter, he'd do it again next year!! After I did it ONCE, I swore I'd never do it again, and Ken.... Over and over... Respect!!!!!!

Csmart

Ken not only rode Baja he did a comic book in Spanish about the turtle doing Baja, still have my copy
I know one year he also did something with a group not sure who but had disabilities (hate that word) there was a write up some where
Lots of stories
He even rode that 650 across during the week to go do sales calls in Baja

atvrcr88

I know Jack Johnson soloed the 500 one year and from what I understand he is the only bike rider to ever get the iron man back then.