Pitch Black Engineering Bronco build

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
Hello, my name is Jose Aguinaga, I live in a city called Puebla, in central Mexico, 2 hours from Mexico City.

I have been a member here for a while now, mostly reading and getting knowledge from all the builds around here.

Almost 4 years ago, I got a 93 bronco Eddie Bauer with the 351W and electronic 4wd. It was always a “dream truck” for me, since I was very little, so getting it alone, was a very good thing, The original plan was to fix it and keep it stock-ish with maybe some 33´s and a mild lift, but to be honest, that would not be enough for me. This is the day my wife and I got it next to my F-150:

File_000.jpeg

Then, I did some maintenance, and a few touches here and there, added some rigid lights that I had laying at the shop and new headlights:

File_005.jpeg

As of now, it has been over 2-3 years of doing nothing to it, just using it for going to work some times a week, since I have plenty other vehicles to move around, and tbh, I had some personal stuff last year that made me realize that life goes by very fast, and we have to set a goal on everything and just go for it, so, almost a month ago, I started tearing up the interior and decided to go with a better suspension package, since my wife and I want to take a trip all the way to baja, we have a house in Mazatlan, and from there you can take a ferry to La Paz, and then we plan on visit some spots over there and go back, would be roughly a 2 week trip, really looking forward to it.

Everything started with me getting some kilmat for sound deadening, and it has been snowballing from there. The plan is to tear up everything inside and out, clean everything, add a cage while at it, maybe build some new panels for better storage on the back, it has to seat 4 people, so no cutting in to the cab. The goal is to have a decent prerunner that can go anywhere any time, already fixed and updated some stuff motor wise (starter, fuel pump, alternator, etc).

End goal would be probably a solo motorsports stage 4 kit, already spoke with Bobby over the phone, very nice guy, and it seems that they really know what they are doing.

These are some shots of the interior right now:
File_015.jpeg

File_021.jpeg

File_019.jpeg

File_020.jpeg

It might not seem like much as of now, but, after all this time I fell very motivated to have it done before my birthday in October, we will see, mostly working on it at night after work and some weekends, life is very busy right now, I am a service manager for a Polaris/Indian dealership and have been working there for almost 7 years now, so I am getting bored of the side by sides.

A couple of friends and I also got a warehouse, that is the side business and that's where we plan on the magic to happen for this Bronco, got a welding machine, laser cut machine, and some other stuff, we are fabricating custom towing trailers and some other related things, most of us are mechanical engineers, and currently trying to make some more money than our day jobs, we decided to name the shop "Pitch black Engineering".

Had some 35´s laying around and installed them on the bronco last week, prop shaft did not like it, broke within 2 miles from the shop:
File_013.jpeg

File_014.jpeg

Got it fixed and changed all the u-joints on the shaft this weekend while grilling some steak and having some beers with my friends, not hard at all, then took it for a quick ride near the house, 5-minute drive gets me to a very nice test spot, got some pictures:

File_022.jpeg

File_030.jpeg

File_023.jpeg

Probably between the next few weeks, I will tear apart all the suspension and purchase the stage 4 kit.

Sadly for me, it's not as easy to go online and just order the stuff then patiently wait for the delivery guy, since shipping of a pallet of a large size all the way down here and import fees plus taxes will make you poor very fast. Luckily the wife really wants to make the same trip and supports everything, so we are off to a great start.

Will keep you guys updated on the progress, right now, I am waiting on the fuel access panel and door handle reinforcements from Solo, they should be here within the next week. In the meantime, it's going to be cleaning time for the interior and lay out the cage.

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
"Luckily the wife really wants to make the same trip and supports everything"

The rest is a piece of cake!

Well, to be honest, she has been very supportive, can’t complain about that.

We went to La Paz before covid and she really liked it, that’s when I suggested the trip.

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
Not so many updates this week, since I have been very busy at work, but I got the door reinforcements and fuel pump door from Solo, I might install this over the weekend:

C7F8E76B-E76F-4F98-91FD-60EF2C213AB5.jpeg

Also, I have been thinking about adding a winters shifter and build a custom console, I plan on use the stock E4OD with a punisher valve body, probably a bigger cooler for it up front, I saw the shifter at summit for a fair price, any advice on this?

EB6615BB-02CB-48BF-BF2D-5B3428FC066D.jpeg

Also ordered some cup holders from Amazon, looking at building something like this:

74EDE620-92FE-49E0-BF75-059F46CEA685.jpeg

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
Hello all.
I just installed the fuel pump door and went with rivnuts for easy access in the future, also mounted the door bracket supports and finished the sound deadening on the doors:

9E85D1A7-4A89-4DE2-9E49-2CD6475367FB.jpeg

148C738F-85E9-401C-A4B6-A18177A3E9C9.jpeg

F4030753-0B67-4508-A553-9810B7E0F954.jpeg

8CDD864B-AA43-4225-9C37-1476FB5344C0.jpeg

0464EDFC-10CD-4ECA-A4B0-A89B4E8A0DA1.jpeg

E096A5B9-91AE-41D3-A422-72CC9C467AA8.jpeg

I installed some thick foam between the door and floor to avoid any water/dust intrusion in to the cabin.

Now I can proceed with the sound deadening on the back and start building the cage.

I might take it slow this couple of weeks due to a back injury that got me in the hospital this past 3 days, apparently I have 3 slipped discs on the bottom of my back so I’ll spend my rest time ordering some stuff.

Since I see that there’s delays and back orders on most of the king and fox shocks? What would be the best route now? Any advice?

I will get in touch with Bobby over at solo to get my order going, I would really like to finish this build in September/October

Last edited:

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
Good afternoon everyone. I have been spending time this week trying to get a hold of some shocks but it seems that most of them are going to be 6+ months wait either from fox or king, so I talked to Riley over at locked offroad ( Locked Off-Road ), and the price point/performance/quality seems up par to the bigger brands, and waiting time is not that long, has anyone in here used them? Getting 2 2.5x12 coilovers with springs and 2 2.5x12 triple bypass shocks for 3000 dollars seems ok.

Has anyone in here reading has any experience on them? Thanks a lot!

Jose Aguinaga

Reaction
Hello all. Had to put everything on hold as of now, last month has been crazy, I had to be rushed to the hospital due to a back injury, I was not able to walk/move, spent a couple of nights in. Been doing some physical therapy and it’s not enough, so, I will get surgery done in the next couple of weeks, movement is limited now, and doctors are gonna fix an older shoulder injury at the same time, so I might be off for a couple of weeks. I did ordered the winters shifter, looks really nice:

FC0584F5-52CC-45C2-B6DD-E08E47B02ACF.jpeg

Will try to purchase shocks the next week or so, I might be somewhat recovered from the back/shoulder by the time they arrive. Will get fox in the front and locked bypasses in the back.