Racing Nissan Pick Up Possibly Sherman Balch Truck

burro8

Reaction
This truck in on Craigslist in Sacramento. The owner and I have played phone tag. He left a message and said that he has the full history on this truck and that it was a Sherman Balch factory Nissan racer. I remember Sherman did race a Nissan during his career but that it was in a later model, not positive though.

Old class 7 , 1984 Nissan Baja race truck.
$2500.00
(916) 709-4458
Call for info, Thanks Jerry

1984 Nissan 4x4 Baja race truck

Attachments

Bro_Gill

Reaction
That isn't his race truck, but looks like either one of his chase trucks or one of the Nissan Cup trucks from about the same time frame.

La Tijereta

Reaction
Here was Sherman's Nissan back in 84'.. at Glen Helen..

The "Cup Trucks" came later with the "Hardbody" line-up..

1984.Glen Helen.Balch.706.21x.jpg

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No, the Nissan Cup trucks were put together with Jim Conner products and all were of that vintage in the early 1980s. I still have the promoters package from the first Frontier 500 with the actual pictures from film.

If I remember right, the truck in your picture should have fox shocks coming up into the bed in the rear.

La Tijereta

Reaction
At the 83' Frontier 500 they did run those early Nissan trucks when Jim was still doing his factory program.. I was thinking of the "Hardbody" trucks they ran at the Mint races in the later years.. Bob Thomas & Assoc handled the PR for the program for Nissan at those Frontier races..

1983.Frontier 500.Haggerty.Nissan Celb.21x.jpg

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The truck above is one of the Celebrity entrants that Nissan sported. Several 'stars' were given rides, Chuck Norris got his off road racing start through this, Ben Davidson was another. There was also a series of regular racers that raced the Nissan Cup back then. Trucks had spec suspension kits to use, other build items were open. I believe all but one of them were extra cabs. You could literally buy a Nissan race truck out of Conner's catalog, even the cage work was listed and priced in there.

Retro Francis

Reaction
It doesn't matter who built it or who raced it. I made arrangements to pick it up. I will have it ready to race Vegas to Reno in 2016. It was a good platform for a Vintage off road mini truck. Plus with Mario Alesi driving my Funco SS2 I have a insider who knows quit a bit about these trucks. I will start a build thread as soon as I start after the Holidays.

La Tijereta

Reaction
...You might consider to put Mario in the Nissan, based his "vintage" experience..

1985.Mint 400.703.Alesi.Jim Conners.21x.jpg

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
...You might consider to put Mario in the Nissan, based his "vintage" experience..

View attachment 163384
That's what I've been talking to Norm about, he could make a replica racer out of it which makes more sense since it is already out of the Factory Nissan stables. Always loved that Nissan, had the poster of it on my wall back in the day...

burro8

Reaction
Glad someone is buying this truck. My friend and I talked about getting it but have to many other things going on. The truck is only 20 mins from my house. I figured if I posted the link on Race Dez someone would scoop it up.

Steve

Retro Francis

Reaction
I have been talking to Mario about which way to build this truck. Once it is torn apart we will put a plan together on how to build it. As far as Mario driving it , he wants to go after the BITD championship in the Funco SSII for 2016. But I really would like to have it finished and tested for Vegas to Reno. Jason Cobb of KC HiLites has showed interest in driving it , and that would be a great fit as KC was a Big sponsor of the Nissan offroad program.

burro8

Reaction
Retro Francis, did you pick up the Nissan yet? If so what did you learn about the history of this truck?

Retro Francis

Reaction
I am picking the truck up on the 14th of Jan. And yes, I am starting to get a little history of the truck. I had Mario Alesi look at detailed photos of it, One thing is for sure. It is NOT a Celebrity Challenge truck. Mario was one of the drivers that taught the celebes how to drive the challenge trucks. It is a Factory truck. Mario believes it to be one of Sherman's trucks as was said. Mario suggested that I restore it as a 4x4 as it was raced. I will start posting pics as soon as it is in the garage. I am really lucky to have Mario to help me in this restoration.

Retro Francis

Reaction
I just got the Nissan home on friday. The truck is in really good condition. My plan is to clean out the carbs and get it running well. Put on all new BILSTEIN shocks, rebuild the brakes and drive it around a little. That way I will know what I am working with. PRP is already building the new seats, METHOD race wheels is suppling the wheels , I will save the original Jackmans for showing the truck. I will be posting a new thred as I go. I will be starting as soon as the FUNCO SS2 is ready for the MINT 400. The projected first race for the Nissan will be Vegas to Reno .

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Well I did it again! Have a place in my hart for the old Datsun / Nissan and Dodge mini truck so I now have one more and his name is Sherman
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1456955978.759473.jpg
This will go great with
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1456956083.678583.jpg
. Spencer and
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1456956132.900975.jpg
. Mike
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1456956229.225515.jpg
. Carla. And
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1456956427.964711.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

spalind

Reaction
Jeez...no fair...well, if you come across another one and don't want it...let me know...

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Jeez...no fair...well, if you come across another one and don't want it...let me know...
The dodge d50 is for sale and I also have Rusty for sale
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1457123382.351115.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1457123435.970460.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today