• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rekluse Clutches

Ray Connolly

What's everyone's opinion on running one of these during a B1K event? Pretty reliable? Any problems during the race? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Fourstroker

I have nearly 5000 miles on mine with zero issues. Drag plates have been replaced once. If you like the benefits of a Rekluse I wouldn't hesitate to race with one. I have several races on mine as well

Fourstroker

Around 4000. Probably should have been closer to 3500. Starting getting some top end slip

AZ7000'

I've trail ridden mine 300+ hours, 2 times to cabo. I'm old and easy on a clutch tho...

We have them in all of our bikes, the wife had a friction plate vaporize 20 miles from "The Office", spun out the adjuster and finished without any issues.

JDDurfey

I am not real familiar with the Recluse. But don't some still have a clutch lever that you can still use if you want? Or is the clutch lever completely eliminated?

Fourstroker

I am not real familiar with the Recluse. But don't some still have a clutch lever that you can still use if you want? Or is the clutch lever completely eliminated?
I have the clutch lever on mine. most of the newer ones do. The older Ez Starts didn't use a clutch lever. Some guys replaced it with a rear brake lever

JDDurfey

Do the guys in the extreme enduros use them? I would think that having more control of the power out put with a clutch would be advantageous at times. But yet in other terrain, the Rekluse would be a big help.

Fourstroker

With the new style Rekluse's I cant see a disadvantage to using them. They lock in harder than any traditional clutch. You can still use the clutch lever if you want to slip the clutch. They still lock in for engine braking.

The downfall to the older systems was that they would free wheel in gear if you weren't under power. It made downhills scary without any engine brake

JDDurfey

So when will the factories start installing them? I did not realize they work so well. Like I said I haven't ever used one, and I have been away from racing for a few years. I just trail ride around my ranch in Texas. But if they work that good, I would consider it down the road.

AZ7000'

With the new style Rekluse's I cant see a disadvantage to using them. They lock in harder than any traditional clutch. You can still use the clutch lever if you want to slip the clutch. They still lock in for engine braking.

The downfall to the older systems was that they would free wheel in gear if you weren't under power. It made downhills scary without any engine brake
There are more than a few brand new motos that are top notch and cost less than a top of the line mountain bike. A friend told me that's why the mtb riders are so crabby these days (we both ride mtb' son the same trails)!

I wouldn't see the factories adding $300-800 to the list price of their bikes. People buy them just fine without the rekluse, again I have them on all my bikes....

Sorry, messed up the quote, replying to jd

partybarge_pilot

Along with this there was no bump starting the bike. If it was electric only, it was a real issue if the battery went dead. Then you are cutting barbwire out of a fence to make a jumper cable..........

Fourstroker

Along with this there was no bump starting the bike. If it was electric only, it was a real issue if the battery went dead. Then you are cutting barbwire out of a fence to make a jumper cable..........
Good point. Forgot about that. You can bump start with the new Rekluse units

Power Monkey

I don't use one but from riding a more than a few bikes with a Rekluse, I would have to think they would save tons of energy in a desert race, they make things easy, but for your more extreme riding they do neuter the bike.

BajaboundMoto

How about this... Ray - what make/model bike are you guys thinking of using this time for the 1000?
As I recall, your teams last (1st) Baja attempt didn't go quite right but you were also reluctant to take much of the quality advice given on here.

I have seen too many auto-clutches fail in Baja on the higher speed type terrain (as opposed to Tecate enduro type stuff) and I was not at all a fan of them.
BUT, this newer gen of Rekluse is so simple and stupid proof it's crazy and I've become a believer, to a point.
We rode Tecate to Cabo a couple months ago along with @AZ7000' , we had 1 bike with the new Rekluse, AZ7000 had 2 with them, all worked well and we rode all types of terrain including a lot of good gnarly single track. I'm impressed how it lasted.

Would I run a Rekluse in a Baja 1000? No. There isn't enough technical riding to make it worth taking the chance switching from stock.

AZ7000'

Would I run a Rekluse in a Baja 1000? No. There isn't enough technical riding to make it worth taking the chance switching from stock.
X2, I completely agree with those way more experienced than me!

firedog

Barbwire, that's bloody brilliant! How long do you have to let it cool before you can remove it? :D
Out riding in Utah we came across these two "old timers" in there 80's riding quads. We pulled up and asked them how they were doing and they told us they had a dead battery on one of the quads. My buddy had a bunch of bailing wire so we used it to jump the battery from one quad to the other. It worked and the wire did not heat up. !

firedog

I installed the Rekluse 3.0 on my 2012 KTM 300 XC and I like it. The one issue I had was after riding the Off-Road Trails: Dirt Bike Riding in Moab, Utah
sovereign trail in Moab I got on the gas on pavement headed back to the trucks and noticed my clutch was slipping really bad. I took it easy and got back to the truck, pulled out the Rekluse rubber band and adjusted the slave and all was good. Keep up on the adjustments!!