• Forum membership has its advantages....

Saab class 6

Racerinside

I have an old class 6 race saab that we are currently getting back in racing condition. I am looking for suggestions. Should I upgrade it as far as shocks, cage, brakes, and stuff like that, or should I try to restore it as much as possible to the way it was raced in the early 80s?

Only upgrade safety items and leave the rest original.

I remember racing against one of the Saabs in the 500 years ago. He took a wrong turn, where the course markers had been changed, and I followed him up a canyon where we had to turn around, which got us in front of him.

If you haven't raced in Baja without a GPS, you should have to - Reqired Baja Racing 101.

La Tijereta

Gunnarsson ran this Saab back in 77' Baja.. Then jumped on the Armstrong Tire sponsorship to bring it back in the 80's.. They were a classic to watch.. Look forward to seeing it back on the trail..

1977.Baja 1000.Saab.605.21x.jpg

1988.Mint 400.Saab.21x.jpg

Racerinside

The Saab that I have is a different body style. I believe it was raced by Bill Carpenter? I'll get pics up soon.
Would something like bilstein 7100s be period correct looking or should i try finding enough 6100s. From what i could tell, there used to be 3 on each side on the front and 2 on each side on the rear.

LantanaTX

Bilstein still makes 6100's If you wanted to be picky you could get 7100's and paint them. The Bilstein color is John Deere Yellow which you can get is spay cans from Krylon. People appreciate original cars but changes that improve the technology to gain a competitive advantage in a given class is not too cool.

Rory

Crayola Killer
How about posting a picture of it in its current condition..........

retroblazer

Not to play devil's advocate on what is the ideal state of "vintage" that you would like to run. The event isn't a vintage car show. The tempo may be different than a traditional Baja 1,000, but it is still a long, and rough event. If the budget allows for a new set of upgraded shocks, or bigger, better brakes, great, but the larger theme should reflect what was originally run. I wouldn't think twice about using slightly larger shock body, or if that interferes with you existing mounts, to run a shock with a reservoir. Oh the purists may squirm, but let'em. If you asked them, they'd cry about how you should be looking for the bias ply tires they used in the day.

oldschool5er

This is very cool, obviously built to race so not a looker. I am a purist for sure I would upgrade anything safety and keep as much original as possible if it is still available. I kept new non-reservoir Bilsteins on my restore as an example. If this is about winning only against upgraded vintage racers then what is the point of racing Vintage. I personally feel all vintage racers should keep as much as original style and build as possible excluding safety improvements. If a vintage racer was able to finish a Baja race in that era, then it should stand a chance of finishing now using old tech. You might not win against upgraded and modified "Vintage Racers" and I know this is expensive to race without the thought of beating every other vintage racer in your class, but I would keep the soul of the car that was built in that era. No one makes money doing this and a restore is a loss leader to start with, but if you are more worried about winning then finishing then I would race a modern class. I hope you will keep it as original as possible, full restores are extremly expensive and time consuming but it is a work of love and you might be able to get it to a Norra race on a budget if you are careful and keep a focus on finishing instead of being competitive. Just finishing and having the experiance will stay with you forever lol. Like Ramsey I raced the same races as Gunnarson also and saw what his class 6 Saab could do so I hope to see this one up and running it is a very cool class 6. I bet it is a Carpenter car.

LantanaTX

Study the NORRA rules which you can see on their website. We sent our 40 year old Shocks to Bilstein and they rebuilt them like new and they work great! We are allowed more improvements in our class/era but opted to stay original.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

oregoncoast

Good luck with this! I agree, just update the safety gear and get it running great. I actually love the patina it has and would love to see this thing entered in the M1K!