• Forum membership has its advantages....

Sad loss of the first Jeepspeed Champion

Clive Skilton

My heart is heavy today when I tell you of the passing of Barrie Thompson yesterday late afternoon.

Reports are that Barrie suffered a heart attack while test driving Brian Davidson's V8 Wrangler in the Barstow desert. Co-driver Reid managed to bring the Jeep to a safe stop but Barrie left us at the wheel of a race car.

Our hearts go out to his wife, son and all the family at this terrible time. Barrie touched so many lives in and outside the off road community. He will be missed by us all. More news as we get it.

Clive Skilton.

2002 Press release......SKYJACKER'S JEEPSPEED CHAMPION-BARRIE THOMPSON

JEEPING IN BAJA: Skyjacker's JeepSpeed Champion-Barrie Thompson and his wife, Sharon, are preparing to beat the Baja 500 in his 1991 Skyjacker Suspension equipped Jeep Cherokee. Barrie is ready to push the 2WD JeepSpeed into some of the harshest Baja race course ever seen. Good luck stud

harleys dad

When its time no better way to go than doing what you love to do. Race on with all the greats in the biggest baddest race in the sky, he has some mighty great company

charlie_brown

WOW. RIP my friend. we spent lots of time together in the shop and all over the desert. baja was a great time with Barrie.

dtp92648

Very sad... I didn't know Barry very well. But, he was always cool to us rookie racers during the inaugural JeepSpeed season. I was lucky enough get some seat time in car #1491 racing against him.

Goodspeed Barrie!

El Mamito USMC

RIP

Bdub 1020

I grew up with Barrie, I remember racing big wheels down Forrest dr. in Victorville doing spin outs at the bottom of the hill. Yes we were to old for big wheels but didn't care. Racing Moto X at Escape country and 395 cycle park. Then there was the class 5 with the bad arse snorkel on top for the oil cooler we thought we were Bad! Raced Barstow and Lucerne and once the fuel cell broke covering me with gas and we kept going (never forget that). We always came to Havasu with his Father Ed and Mom Maurine sister Bev and brother Kevin who we lost way to early. His dad had the 1st Nordic with a blower and true Enderle injection. We were fast and always trying to race someone. There was the Donavee Jeeps we drewled over. Believe he co dawged for Luduc and Swift could be wrong. Then there was the Espinoza TT and the racing just went on and on. He actually came out and helped us with our 10 car in a night race in Bartow when Turbo was 12 and Kyle 22. We went our separate ways in life as things happen. Always loved talking to him if it was 15 minutes at the Mint or on the phone discussing things our kids had done lol. Barrie you will always be in my heart and I always looked up to you even if we were only one year apart. RIP my friend and prayers go out to the Thompson family.

pciscott

Barrie always had a great sense of humor and a smile on his face! Way to soon B-Dog! Met him back in the Donavee days and he came to work for me for a few years when I was racing. A fast driver and funny jokester who was always fun to be around. Vaya Con Dios Barrie.

Kevin and Sharon thinking of you guys! Crazy sad news!

Dirty Harry

I didn't know Barry well but it him in 2012 at the Dakar Rally when he was part of Darren Skilton's crew. Like many other racers, Darren was having vapor lock issues during the rally. Barry built this crazy Rube Goldberg contraption out of junkyard parts to keep the fuel cool... and it worked! I'll never forget that, or the look of satisfaction on his face.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Clive Skilton

Just posted this on Kevin Thompson's Facebook.

Can you pass the info on to everyone and on race desert.

ATTN everyone: we have figured out date and time for my dads celebration of life gathering. Sunday, March 6th 1pm Mohave narrows regional park 18000 Yeates Rd, Victorville, Ca 92392 There is a $10 gate fee per vehicle with up to 6 people in it. It's a special place for us because my dad loved to go there with family and friends. Feel free to call,email, or direct message me with any further questions. 760-508-6349. [email protected]