SCORE / BITD Insurance or lack of.....

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I know this has been discussed before but it seems some things may have changed. I have been asked by a couple teams what other teams are doing for insurance when racing in Mexico and also in the states. I think it’s time this is discussed again before it’s needed and found out there is none or not much.

SCORE used to have a decent insurance policy to cover a team when racing, or specifically the occupants of the race car. If you look on their website now it just says to call the office. Their office was told they think they have a 15k max policy with a 1k deductible for race car occupants in the event of a crash. Also they have a policy that covers a race car that hits a local IF and only IF they are in the SCORE race line (not your own creative line). This seems to be much less than in the year after Mango had a codriver killed and a bunch of questions were raised about insurance and so forth. 15k will barely cover a helicopter ride to Ensenada if even.

BITD I am not sure on their policy specifically. Does anyone know for a fact what insurance BITD has and what it covers specifically?

I know some high dollar teams used to have their own policy’s from Lloyd’s of London in the past. Are teams still using these for big umbrella policy’s to cover their whole team while at races?

So the question is what is everyone doing to make sure you are covered while racing? You don’t want to wait till something happens and you’re out of work for a year and have no $$ to pay your massive medical bills when you assumed you were covered while racing.

Reaction
Do any US promoters of events on public lands offer any coverage beyond the required "spectator liability" coverage?

Limpedithome

Reaction
We carry $5M Race liability insurance and $1M per occurrence for accidents/injury of teammates. Additionally, if our pre-runners or Race Cars are stolen they are covered for the replacment value.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Ultra4 has legal liability for Drivers and Codrivers as well as general liability and medical for all participants, crew, staff, and media.

Significant excess over required minimums

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ultra4 has legal liability for Drivers and Codrivers as well as general liability and medical for all participants, crew, staff, and media.

Is there a policy posted anywhere that has the limits and such requirements listed? Just curious as to the specifics of such policy.

ekozy39

Reaction
Unless I missed it, I didn't see the red Score ops/medic heli at the 500.. The amount of penny pinching and corner cutting is getting dangerous.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Medical or Liability ? or either ? I don't think BITD has any medical insurance coverage for participants, it's all your own. They coordinate with helicopter companies, but I think it's still up to your insurance provider (or you) to cover the actual ride/costs. I used to have a membership (AirMethod, I think) but just got a letter saying that they don't offer the membership anymore. I could be wrong, but those are my assumption making plans for V2R (i.e. you are on your own as far as medical/transport is concerned). As for liability (spectators or team), I suspect those details are not public. I don't know what SCORE provides these days.

BTW, I think this is a great questions, and I wish there was more transparency on how this works and what coverage is provided. it should be part of the entry/registration information and would help us plan for our needs, if the situation arises. I'd be open a paying into a event based group medical insurance that covers traumatic injuries and transports that your own insurance may not cover, for an extra fee. I actually think this would raise the number of entries who otherwise would not consider racing. relying on GoFundMe as a traumatic injury plan in this day and age is just silly.

Last edited:

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction

And you manage to make registration a 30 second process on race weekend.......you should put on a race promoter clinic.

BajaFand

Reaction
Assuming SCORE/BITD do have these policies how could it possibly cover crew members? Unless our crew/team members could be covered under the spectator liability policy as spectators? Unlike Dakar, pit crews are not part of the entry list or entry fee of an event, neither are the support vehicles. So how can an organization carry a policy that has no record of team volunteers cover them?

Limpedithome

Reaction
I know this has been discussed before but it seems some things may have changed. I have been asked by a couple teams what other teams are doing for insurance when racing in Mexico and also in the states. I think it’s time this is discussed again before it’s needed and found out there is none or not much.

SCORE used to have a decent insurance policy to cover a team when racing, or specifically the occupants of the race car. If you look on their website now it just says to call the office. Their office was told they think they have a 15k max policy with a 1k deductible for race car occupants in the event of a crash. Also they have a policy that covers a race car that hits a local IF and only IF they are in the SCORE race line (not your own creative line). This seems to be much less than in the year after Mango had a codriver killed and a bunch of questions were raised about insurance and so forth. 15k will barely cover a helicopter ride to Ensenada if even.

BITD I am not sure on their policy specifically. Does anyone know for a fact what insurance BITD has and what it covers specifically?

I know some high dollar teams used to have their own policy’s from Lloyd’s of London in the past. Are teams still using these for big umbrella policy’s to cover their whole team while at races?

So the question is what is everyone doing to make sure you are covered while racing? You don’t want to wait till something happens and you’re out of work for a year and have no $$ to pay your massive medical bills when you assumed you were covered while racing.
I think that race teams should carry their own liability policy as a matter precaution. It's not inexpensive but with the litigious nature of the world we live in...necesary

az_amsoil

Reaction
Great questions, I always use Bajabound (spectating or chasing) and have always wondered about the coverage exclusion through HDI Seguros:

"Loss or damage sustained or caused in the operation of the insured vehicle off conventional roads or on roads not in good driving condition. (Conventional Road shall be understood as a road adapted and/or designed to be used by vehicles authorized to transport passengers on a private basis, and on which there are reasonable signs of the normal transit of vehicles"

I'll still go recover a racer if I can, but am I putting myself into personal liability doing so? How can a bridge that gap in the insurance?

vegasloki

Reaction
So how can an organization carry a policy that has no record of team volunteers cover them?
You provide crew passes and have them also sign the waiver. I've done that in karting, sports cars and local Nascar. In some cases (like SCCA) it only gets you supplemental coverage paying your co-pays, deductibles and excess charges. When I raced shifters K&K in Fort Wayne handled both IKF and SKUSA policies. They do other motorsports as well in addition to concerts, bands, special events and the like. I don't know if they offer coverage in Mexico. The policies included promoter liability, racer and spectator (crews were considered spectators) medical, disability and death. Nascar had its own policy and you had to have a Nascar license to use it but to even work on the cars you had to have a crew license.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Great questions, I always use Bajabound (spectating or chasing) and have always wondered about the coverage exclusion through HDI Seguros:

"Loss or damage sustained or caused in the operation of the insured vehicle off conventional roads or on roads not in good driving condition. (Conventional Road shall be understood as a road adapted and/or designed to be used by vehicles authorized to transport passengers on a private basis, and on which there are reasonable signs of the normal transit of vehicles"

I'll still go recover a racer if I can, but am I putting myself into personal liability doing so? How can a bridge that gap in the insurance?
We found a medical only policy for Mexico when we did NORRA last month for our entire crew. It was remarkably cheap for $50k worth of coverage and $500 deductible. Obviously it wont cover you in the states.

Patriot International Group Travel through Iinternational Medical Group

1559863971512.png

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I think that race teams should carry their own liability policy as a matter precaution. It's not inexpensive but with the litigious nature of the world we live in...necesary
Do you have any direct experience in getting such coverage? Have any companies in mind that sell these policy’s?

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Ultra4 is Sanctioned by USAC, United States Auto Club. Our broker through USAC also does team insurance.

Laura is fantastic to work with and understands our business and what the teams need.

I asked her how she wanted people to contact her and she said calling her direct is best so she can understand your specific needs. We have been with them for 10 years and cant imagine what it would be like to do what we do without that relationship.

Her email address is...
Laura.Hauenstein@usrisk.com

Josh 8

Reaction
Unless I missed it, I didn't see the red Score ops/medic heli at the 500.. The amount of penny pinching and corner cutting is getting dangerous.

I know the guy that use to use his Huey to do the medical for score. He had a falling out with Roger over $$$. Since then no chopper.