SCORE SAN FELIPE 250 Accident in MSM

blue dog

Reaction
Guess they will be racing BITD from now on.

johndjmix

Reaction
It’s amazing to me how most of the injuries lately are people not in the race vehicles, wether that be a racer out of a vehicle that’s stuck, or a spectator too close to the course.

I’ve always said, during the 1000, the safest place to be is IN the race vehicle.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Big Whitey

Reaction
San Felipe 250 accident bring tragedy and questions for off-road racing

"How can they do this in Mexico and just wash their hands of it?”

Report also quotes Fish*.

*No, not Sal Fish, he's retired.
I doubt they are washing they’re hands of it, even the article states they have a Atty in Mexico. The Herbst bros are good people. The entire accident is sad and unfortunate but can’t be put on them all the way. Plenty of big name racers have had unfortunate accidents and have got out of town quickly for they’re protection from what could be a worse situation than dealing with it from the north. Let’s not bash them for a sad accident. The reporter did a good enough job of that, we don’t need to help

Reaction
Let’s not bash them for a sad accident.
No bashing here, that's you projecting.

I saw the story, shared it here, provided a quote from same.

I can neither confirm nor deny anything therein.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Not projecting just posting as I saw it and responded as I read it, not trying to start a war

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
I doubt they are washing they’re hands of it, even the article states they have a Atty in Mexico. The Herbst bros are good people. The entire accident is sad and unfortunate but can’t be put on them all the way. Plenty of big name racers have had unfortunate accidents and have got out of town quickly for they’re protection from what could be a worse situation than dealing with it from the north. Let’s not bash them for a sad accident. The reporter did a good enough job of that, we don’t need to help
Good people?? Do good people leave 2 dead bodies on the side of the road?? Huge double standard here that nobody wants to talk about. Just imagine if a Mexican native racer killed 2 Americans here in the U.S. Then have their team show up and make them and their truck disappear into Mexico. Don't you think that's a little worse than a pissed off racer punch a disabled racer. Where are all the keyboard warriors. I guess you need video to get people worked up.

FlyBoynTN

Reaction
Good people?? Do good people leave 2 dead bodies on the side of the road?? Huge double standard here that nobody wants to talk about. Just imagine if a Mexican native racer killed 2 Americans here in the U.S. Then have their team show up and make them and their truck disappear into Mexico. Don't you think that's a little worse than a pissed off racer punch a disabled racer. Where are all the keyboard warriors. I guess you need video to get people worked up.

Unless you know something that was not posted in the article, your comment was not very fair to them. It says they have an attorney and are going to take care of it. If they were injured and left without helping I could see your point but leaving after they are dead and really can't do anything to help...well, what is the harm? Especially when you are not sure when/or even if authorities are coming. It sounds like the guys were pretty shaken up, as they should have been. Just my opinion...

stewwalker

Reaction
An attorney in Mexico shouldn't always be looked at as good faith.

"The entire accident is sad and unfortunate but can’t be put on them all the way." They fled the scene. How is that not "on them all the way"?

"Let’s not bash them for a sad accident." Can we bash them for leaving the accident and running for the border like they just broke the neighbors car window?

I get it, no one wants to go to a Mexican jail, but some times you have to face the consequences. This should be on everyone's mind and spectator fatality protocol should be standardized by SCORE and enforced with a strong arm.

Interesting to compare the chatter between this incident and the 2016 500 incident.

Honda48X

Reaction
Very sad situation. The one SAFETY item covered in the article is: “out in the desert, in the mountains, it is up to the public to respond,” said Rosquillas. “When you know there’s a race with vehicles going at 100 miles per hour, you have to look for a safe place where you wouldn’t be hurt if a vehicle leaves the road.” This has been said over and over. Everyone watching should be as safe as possible. The people I see sitting high up on a mountain with a great view of the vehicles have one of the safest spots to watch a race. All spectators need to be safe.

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
Unless you know something that was not posted in the article, your comment was not very fair to them. It says they have an attorney and are going to take care of it. If they were injured and left without helping I could see your point but leaving after they are dead and really can't do anything to help...well, what is the harm? Especially when you are not sure when/or even if authorities are coming. It sounds like the guys were pretty shaken up, as they should have been. Just my opinion...
Fair?? What's the harm?? Did you read your own response? I don't personally know the Herbst family, but from what I have gathered thru the years from the racing community, they are a well liked and respected racing family. But does that give them a free pass on this one?? I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the situation at the scene. Somebody help me out, do the SCORE rules state that you are supposed to stay at the scene of a serious accident where people are injured. If it doesn't, then they didn't do anything wrong and I will leave it at that. No harm, no foul.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
An attorney in Mexico shouldn't always be looked at as good faith.

"The entire accident is sad and unfortunate but can’t be put on them all the way." They fled the scene. How is that not "on them all the way"?

"Let’s not bash them for a sad accident." Can we bash them for leaving the accident and running for the border like they just broke the neighbors car window?

I get it, no one wants to go to a Mexican jail, but some times you have to face the consequences. This should be on everyone's mind and spectator fatality protocol should be standardized by SCORE and enforced with a strong arm.

Interesting to compare the chatter between this incident and the 2016 500 incident.
Written in the article is this...

"But Rosquillas, the civil protection chief, said that there can be extenuating circumstances in remote areas, where it can take a long time for authorities to respond, and racers involved in an accidents can become targets of angry spectators. In those cases, “I would go to the nearest police station and report the incident,” Rosquillas said. “The driver should show that he has no intention of evading the law,” he said."

The Herbst family is very stand up and everyone knows they did not leave the scene to hide from the accident. Obviously they made contact with SCORE and Authorities to handle the situation.

stewwalker

Reaction
Written in the article is this...

"But Rosquillas, the civil protection chief, said that there can be extenuating circumstances in remote areas, where it can take a long time for authorities to respond, and racers involved in an accidents can become targets of angry spectators. In those cases, “I would go to the nearest police station and report the incident,” Rosquillas said. “The driver should show that he has no intention of evading the law,” he said."

The Herbst family is very stand up and everyone knows they did not leave the scene to hide from the accident. Obviously they made contact with SCORE and Authorities to handle the situation.
How does everyone know they did not leave the scene and they obviously made contact with SCORE? I haven't seen a statement issued by score, the Herbst, or the MX government? By everyone do you mean the Herbst team and their lawyers?

My point is, how is the average Joe supposed to know the Herbst are good people and everything is being handled as best as they can. From the outside it looks like 2 Americans killed 2 Mexicans and they don't think too much about it. Not good exposure for SCORE and the Herbst business.

biggjim

Reaction
In the US you are innocent until proven guilty....In mexico you are guilty until proven innocent.

DG_BTI

Reaction
How does everyone know they did not leave the scene and they obviously made contact with SCORE? I haven't seen a statement issued by score, the Herbst, or the MX government? By everyone do you mean the Herbst team and their lawyers?

My point is, how is the average Joe supposed to know the Herbst are good people and everything is being handled as best as they can. From the outside it looks like 2 Americans killed 2 Mexicans and they don't think too much about it. Not good exposure for SCORE and the Herbst business.
who is "everybody"? you? and in what way does the Herbst family owe you an explanation? Its between the family of those killed, the drivers and authorities. If the drivers broke the law by leaving, it will be established between those involved. Not you or me to decide. Your not involved, nor am I.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction

Why are you/we entitled to this explanation from SCORE or the HERBST family?

johndjmix

Reaction
The fear of going to Mexican jail and the “guilty until proven innocent” makes people flea the scenes in Mexico. Possibly, if there were some laws/rules set in place for protection of the drivers in these cases, fleeing the scene would t happen as much.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Zambo

Reaction
Whatever happened to the drivers of the TT that slid into the wash at the start a couple years ago and killed a spectator?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Comparing this incident to one flipped in the US with a native mexican killing two americans is an ignorant comparison since the US has due process and legal until proven guilty. We have illegal mexicans killing americans(Kathryn Steinle)in non accidents walking scot free here. Cut the crap comparisons.

Also thank M.O. for pushing this article.

If you stand too close to the race course...you might be killed and its an accident since its a race.

If you have the means to bail from an accident like such in mexico back to US...you should do it after notifying the proper parties. Nobody wants to sit in a mexican jail and deal with a bunch of back door deals and fleecing to get set free back to US.

If you have the means to bail, you also have the means to pay for all expenses associated with the death(s) and also take care of the family who lost a member(s). And yes, a dollar amount can be put on a life, just ask an insurance agent.

Simple solution? Take some personal responsibility and dont stand too close or be ready to scoot if poop goes down. I stand too close often times...if I was killed, it would be my fault. If it was in baja, I would expect them to stash their race vehicle and bail to US.

I have personally had to move a dead body in baja that was racer on racer accident.... Guy at fault (eventhough it was an accident) bailed and told me and my buddy to haul the body out to which I said...suckaaadick! and just a few minutes later as we were trying to find a spot to put the body and also get the vehicles unstuck he was gone... we were in the furthest end of catavina silt beds, any support would be hours away. That was a bad move in my head and when I relayed via sat phone to roger I told the story exactly as it happened to which he too was not very happy.

Moral of the story...take responsibility and plan on people with means to do so, bailing from the scene to the US. If it was in the US, people most likely wouldnt bail but mexico is a different set of rules.

It sucks for all parties involved. We could ruin racing in baja and make it like BITD or any US offroad body after sloppy incident....oh joy! Exciting for the people inside the race car and thats about it.