Starlink

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
So, I took a Starlink system to Baja, Absolute game changer for information access, comms, race tracking, any team should seriously be adding this to their chase and comms system.
We literally mounted a system on a toolbox deck between tires and cab, had mobile web access for 3 users via wifi from Diablo to Valle T to Ojos, all mobile.
Biggest issue I had was my Ford inverter plug not holding the power source.
But if you are serious about chasing and information, comms via internet, this solves all your problems in Baja.
Now for a antenna mount, I hope my buddy at Bullet Proof Diesel gets on it.
starlink.jpg

Advertising supports this site

TheShepard

RDC Crypto
So, I took a Starlink system to Baja, Absolute game changer for information access, comms, race tracking, any team should seriously be adding this to their chase and comms system.
We literally mounted a system on a toolbox deck between tires and cab, had mobile web access for 3 users via wifi from Diablo to Valle T to Ojos, all mobile.
Biggest issue I had was my Ford inverter plug not holding the power source.
But if you are serious about chasing and information, comms via internet, this solves all your problems in Baja.
Now for a antenna mount, I hope my buddy at Bullet Proof Diesel gets on it.View attachment 245834
What was the damage dollars wise for your setup?

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Yes, full course chase live internet, all the way home too, made the border wait fun

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Worked from a shore mooring in Catalina this weekend too.

AshtonP9

RDC Crypto
Same thing here, made tracking and getting information super quick and easy and worked flawless. Set it up in the morning and left it loosely taped down in the bed all day and it worked fast even with up to 10 people all using it at once. Definitely was nice sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for the truck and watching the fishgistics update to see where everyone else was at. Question, for putting it on a real mount for the future if it's up top on the rack directly in the wind will it affect it/overpower the top flat part or is it strong enough to not matter? It doesn't seem like it will hold up with full wind going to it while driving down the road. If anyone has it permanently mounted post it up, would love to see some cool ideas.

Attachments

• 20220604_152715.jpg
    20220604_152715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
We are thinking a mount above the bed line and below the roof line to stay out of the wind, ours went flat when we were driving but still had data/internet transmission

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
More then a few you tubes of just taking the stand off and mounting it flat to a roof or roof rack…

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
How consistent was your signal? Was it able to handle driving on rough roads? Were you able to connect to the racing vehicle, or just chase/internet connections?

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Signal was solid doing some recovery in Valle T on the country roads, nothing extreme but well out of town trying to access a incident, allowed me to use google earth and leadnav topo to find roads into truck, then tracker pings when they were recovered by locals so we could meet them at a intersection and chase them back to town/pit. Internet phone calls while driving in no cell areas was a huge change/help.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Any issues with the wind?, we kept ours below the roofline because of concern for the wind, but when moving it went flat most of the time anyways
Id love to have it up and out of the bed box area.

A&SCHASE1

Hero
RDC Crypto
no issues at all. held up well. i think maybe all the bags and the led bar i have on my rack helped brake the force of the wind before it got to the dish.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
The antenna and set up are fairly easy removed right? Like in theory if you had easy mounting options you could use the device for your home, but pull it and mount it on the chase truck or whatever when you need it mobile yeah?

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
The antenna and set up are fairly easy removed right? Like in theory if you had easy mounting options you could use the device for your home, but pull it and mount it on the chase truck or whatever when you need it mobile yeah?
I thought about that but then if you have anyone at home or any internet cameras, thermostats or anything you would be out of luck. Some times the wife and I might be in different spots and if I took the antenna she would be hosed, or I would, not the good way...

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto