• Forum membership has its advantages....

Suspension seats vs hard seats???

RYAN COHEE

Looking for some input on who's running what and why.. What are the pros and cons???

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Robin Hood

Looking for some input on who's running what and why.. What are the pros and cons???

I was reluctant to use a shell seat at first. I thought it would be to hard and be very uncomfortable with any extended seat time.

When I bought my existing car it came with Sparco seats. Once experiencing the shell seat I don't even like the idea of getting in a car without one. For me I feel much more secure, I am one with the car, much better back support, and once I set the lap belt it is right for the whole race.

I had back surgery about 20 years ago so I am very sensitive to my seat adjustment and how my belts fit. The shell seat eliminate the problems that I had with suspension seats and it is no longer an issue.

07FJRog

There have been other threads about this, I like both for diff reasons. I have suspension seats in my sandcar as it does not have high $$ shocks and makes the ride better, but I am always adjusting the belts, (and they have the clips). In my 6100 truggy which has very good suspension, I run the hard seats (Corbeau fx1 for me) and belts stay tight and are comfortable and containment seems better to me.

D-rek

I like everybody used suspension seats for the first 10 years of my racing and I always was adjusting the belts my chest would start to hurt after few miles. My 12 car had sparco's and I was really apprehensive about using them but my first race with them I could not believe how comfortable they were. My 10 car has Cobra's in it and I love them as well. I spent 9.5 hrs in the car at the 500 and I didnt touch my belts once. The problem with suspension seats is that when the seat compresses your belts will loosen and when the seat returns it pushes back into the belts possibly in an awkward position.

RYAN COHEE

Thanks for the input!!! I'm installing a momo seat now in my new single seat 12 car...After braking my back four years ago I was reluctant untill hearing the positive input thanks!!!

btshannon

Thanks for the input!!! I'm installing a momo seat now in my new single seat 12 car...After braking my back four years ago I was reluctant untill hearing the positive input thanks!!!

(breaking) - You should not let the phone correct the message.

But you did embrace "The Big Lebowski" as a result... (of the back injury)

Chris Tobin

What about in a vehicle with limited suspension travel like a stock full? Would you guys still recommend a shell seat?

D-rek

I would at least try it. One of our co drivers has a nine car and he plans on switching when he can afford it.

Chris Tobin

I'd like to hear from someone with a limited suspension vehicle running one before I buy either seat for my truck.

Robin Hood

What about in a vehicle with limited suspension travel like a stock full? Would you guys still recommend a shell seat?
The shell seat keeps you in position and strapped in tight. If you are getting bounced around in a limited suspension vehicle it would be just as important to have hour body held in position. You have better vehicle control and less distraction while driving.

Its one of those things that once you have one you don't know how you ever did without.

Chris Tobin

Thanks!

How much control is necessary? I had hard shell buckets in my swingarm Baja Bug 40 years ago, sure was nicer when I could afford SuperSeats...like adding six inches of travel all around that I couldn't afford.

TMorford

Raced in a Stock Full Titan with Cobra Suzuka seats for a few years and it was extremely comfortable for 8-12 hours at a time.

Chris Tobin

Raced in a Stock Full Titan with Cobra Suzuka seats for a few years and it was extremely comfortable for 8-12 hours at a time.
Thanks for the experienced opinion!