• Forum membership has its advantages....

The GOOD, BAD and UGLY of the NORRA 500 !!!

Team Todo En

Sorry, I forgot our Stella wasn't working correctly, so it never reset the mileage at each stage. It was rm 165 over the whole 2nd day

CHINOLAS

The Google Earth files in 2016 had race miles PER day, not per stage. ie: Final day into San Jose del Cabo had 155 miles.View attachment 205880
Agree with you, problem in 2016 was that it caused a lot of confusion with weatherman and for that reason we decided to go by waypoints and stage.

If we go by day total distance and add miles to files some people went by roadbook total distance in the stage when talking to weatherman, IE if you are on stage 2 of day 1 in the 2016 event and your roadbook says you are in waypoint 30 and total distance is 45 miles when weatherman asked them they said we are on RM 45 and that was not the right location because they were already on stage 2 and perhaps that was RM 95 on the GPS file with the DAY total distance and not stage, specially with bikes that do not have a big screen gps and sometimes can’t read the next RM waypoint, that is the main reason why we decided to not do it this way again.

I am still open to new ideas, if we can figure this out for the better let me know what can we do.

Rory

Crayola Killer
The chase bible is a great idea. I will make sure our chase team understands the waypoints and has a copy of the NORRA pdf and Google map hard copy as well
I have a majority of the BFG pit books over the years from different Baja 500 and Baja 1000 races. I use them when new courses come out so I can find chase roads and such when doing my chase books. I apologize in advance because BFG pit books are not to be shared......that's the one of the perks to running BFG tires.

On a side note I think its a great idea if NORRA would like to start incorporating that info into their map packets for chase guys, it would help the new guys who have little to no Baja experience find their way around without getting lost or driving on some ranchers property that doesn't want chase traffic on his property.

luvbaja2

Eliseo I think the "Chase Bible" is a great concept. I have two teams next year and one chase team is new to Baja. I was trying to figure out how to tell the new guys where to pit, stop, gas up, etc etc. One easy way for most guys is using the kilometer markers on the highway. I think that should be part of the book and perhaps a visual description of the places.

Radiobirdman32

We ran #711 and had a blast. Thanks Eliseo and all the NORRA staff for putting on another great event. Obviously the wait at Mike's was a bit of a pain but it was the inaugural 500 and there are always going to be a few growing pains. The only other issue we had was people hitting their STELLA pass buttons when they are way back and not even close to being ready to make a pass. I try to be respectful of the faster cars but it is unreasonable to hit the pass button when you see dust and expect the slower car to pull over and wait a few minutes for you to catch up and then pass. Maybe limit the distance for the passing button. . Overall, a wonderful experience. Thank you guys.

CHINOLAS

We ran #711 and had a blast. Thanks Eliseo and all the NORRA staff for putting on another great event. Obviously the wait at Mike's was a bit of a pain but it was the inaugural 500 and there are always going to be a few growing pains. The only other issue we had was people hitting their STELLA pass buttons when they are way back and not even close to being ready to make a pass. I try to be respectful of the faster cars but it is unreasonable to hit the pass button when you see dust and expect the slower car to pull over and wait a few minutes for you to catch up and then pass. Maybe limit the distance for the passing button. . Overall, a wonderful experience. Thank you guys.
Hap Kellog told us that since last event and asked Stella to do it, they said thew will and did not happen, I will make sure they change it for the next event and test it.