Warn winch vs. Badlands winch (Harbor Freight)

green787

Reaction
I'm thinking about making my truck a 4600 rock racer.... What is the REAL difference between a 12,000 lb 12volt Warn winch, and a 12,000 lb Harbor Freight winch...??? I'm thinking they're manufactured at the same place....

CORR Flying.jpg

Bert is my name

Reaction
There are a bunch of comparisons of the h.f. winch to almost all the others out there. Do a Google search. Motor durability on long pulls seemed to be a weak point as well as line speed from what I remember.

brad inch

Reaction
i bet you could find a used warn for the same price of the new harbor.

gwizz

Reaction
ones going to work, the other might. (when you actually need it..)

jeff

Reaction
Go visit Warn in Oregon and ask them. All of the Warn winches (except their cheaper VR series) are made in the USA using parts sourced globally. The Badland will be made in China using parts sourced horribly.

If you are going to go cheap and Chinese consider running a Smittybilt winch. Still a China part but the Smittybilt winch is cheaper than Warn but more reliable than the HF. Like everything HF it's a really mixed bag with their winches. The QC on the HF stuff seems to cause massive swings in customer satisfaction. One Badland winch might be great and the next is DOA out of the box because the solenoid was no good.

Aloha

green787

Reaction
Well maybe Warn does get first pick from the factory, but I can buy 10 HF winches for the price of ONE Warn winch.... Plus you can't beat HF's warantee..... I can get it exchanged in Barstow....

gwizz

Reaction
eh im at 600$ for two ramsey worm drive 12k's on my truck, both winches 200$ each on craiglist. price is what you make it. just get a good one so its worth it to fix, or buy used. think of a winch the same way you think of a shock.

jeff

Reaction
Well maybe Warn does get first pick from the factory, but I can buy 10 HF winches for the price of ONE Warn winch.... Plus you can't beat HF's warantee..... I can get it exchanged in Barstow....
The only winch line that Warn has made in China is their VR series. All of the rest are made in Oregon.

You probably can buy 10 HF winches for the price of the top of the line Warn winch. As long as the winch isn't an honest to goodness live saver (wheeling by yourself with nobody around to help you) you don't have to worry about the HF winch failing when you actually need it. If you are racing the HF is going to be painfully slow in an event where every second counts. So if you aren't in a hurry and the HF winch actually works when you push the trigger you'll be fine.

I like the advice of buy used. I'd rather have a 10 year old Warn than a brand new HF.

Aloha

green787

Reaction
What's wrong with this winch???

green787

Reaction
Today I cut the back off of old 787 in the first step toward making it a 4687 (can I use that number?)... They told me it would get hung up on the spare tire hanging out the back that always served as my nerf alert bar....

Attachments

green787

Reaction
Today I unloaded the truck from the trailer and welded all the tedious details into place... 2 gussets on rear modifcation... Number plate tabs with welded nuts.... shortened the fuel filler holder..... relocated whip antenna holder (for Glamis).... Cut the fenders to finish cut.... re-mounted license (number) plate light....

Attachments

green787

Reaction
Today I fabricated the spare tire tie downs... They weren't the right length any more so I altered them on the sewing machine... Budget racers have to learn everything to stay in the race...

Attachments

green787

Reaction
Today I cut down my old number plate to fit the new mounting tabs.... I guess I could still run it as a 7s, but I think I will just win the 4600 class next year.... All the modification on the rear is finished.... Just needs paint.... and new numbers....

Attachments

Last edited: